Changing retirement to marriage extension

I’ve been here for a number of years on a retirement extension which this year I need to change to a marriage extension using 400,000 baht bank deposit.

Does the money need to be in the bank two months before the application or three months?

As I understand it, it’s a new extension, therefore the money needs to be in two months before but a friend said that it would need three months because I am already in Thailand.

I’d be grateful for any advice, especially from anyone who may have recently done this.

i agree that being the requirement/law   however in the small print  the imo does have the power to think differently  (ie)   at the discretion of the im

officer   of the time of application  which has been the case of many posts over the years

sorry for piggy backing on your Thread but all this is connected 

i have just been trying to figure out if i will need an updated Tor Ror 2

(Thai wedding registration) all needed for my Marriage extension

as our last one is dated January 2557 which apparently makes it six

years old. as i am mainly in Chon Buri i have tried to get confirmation

from Chon Buri i have been on the phone since 9am they do not answer

it is now 12.15 and they just keep hanging up. any body got any idea's as

it does not look like i am going to get any help from chon buri.

i will try and get the Tor Ror 2 in Udon Thani and fingers crossed they

will be open and i can get something done in the original ampure.

1 minute ago, zoza said:

sorry this is way off track ,but the electricity board at Chonburi do exactly the same,dont answer then hang up . TOT .

2 hours ago, zoza said:

On the subject of the Kor for 2 I too am changing from retirement to marriage and went Phuket ampeur to request the document. We registered our marriage there 21 years ago, so I expected it would be straightforward. The clerk tapped away on her computer - and couldn't find the record. She said it must be in the godown (warehouse) and she would send someone to search for it. It would take time, so could we come back tomorrow? OK.

So the next day she phoned to say they still couldn't find it, and would have to draw up a new document with the Ampeur staff acting as witnesses. It will be interesting to see how the Immigration officer takes to it when I go there next week.

12 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

So the next day she phoned to say they still couldn't find it, and would have to draw up a new document with the Ampeur staff acting as witnesses. It will be interesting to see how the Immigration officer takes to it when I go there next week.

I assume that is why they could not find it in their database. Not unusual for such things to get lost.

If the Amphoe issues the Kor Ror 2 immigration will not have any questions about it since it proves you are still married.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 2 months for every extension based upon marriage. Dependent upon the office where you apply it may need to be kept in the bank during the 30 day under consideration period after you apply.

Before March 1st it was 60 days and 3 months for retirement extensions but now it is 2 months for every extension.

Nothing special is needed to change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage. Just the additional documents needed for it.

Yes, this is my understanding also. And, over the past 15 years, I've gone back and forth between using the retirement and marriage requirements for my OA-Long Term extensions and had no problem. Of course, that was then, and this is ... now. ????

Just done it recently. It was so simple and so easy. It's just a matter of having all the right papers which was no problem. The staff were nice the whole process took about 35 minutes. A very nice immigration officer came to our house took a few photographs I was told to come back one month later to get the extension.  .Even that was not a problem a friend of mine simply took my passport to immigration and they stamped it with a big smile. In the past there's a lot of wrong information on TVisa. I think it is from people who don't have the funds or try to cheat the system and have problems.

• Like 1

Anyone contemplating a switch from retirement to marriage as the reason for their annual extensions should, however, be aware that they might run the risk of foregoing any "grandfathering" rights at some point in the future (under which they should remain subject to the existing 800k/400k/65k minima following any increase in these figures).

Edited by OJAS
  • Confused 1

Thanks for all the answers.

There is something I don’t understand here.

What is your Visa status during the “30 days under consideration period”?

Are you given a temporary 30 day extension?

What I mean is, my Visa expires on the 23rd so I normally go for the extension about 10 days before.

So if I’m going for a marriage extension, do I go 10 days before, just the same?

17 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

What is your Visa status during the “30 days under consideration period”?

Are you given a temporary 30 day extension?

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved. The 30 days is a report back date that does not end of the under consideration period.

17 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

What I mean is, my Visa expires on the 23rd so I normally go for the extension about 10 days before.

So if I’m going for a marriage extension, do I go 10 days before, just the same?

You can still do it 10 days or more before the extension ends. Or less if you want to.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

Question: For the purposes of this visa, can the money be in a joint account, that is , both husband and wife’s name ?

For an extension based upon marriage the 400k must be in a account in your name only.

• Like 2

While on the subject of how long money has to be in bank I had a slight problem at my bank the other day and wonder if this will interfer?

I went to withdraw money from the ATM but because it would not release funds I had to go to the counter. ( ATM had run out of 1000 baht notes )

I asked the cashier for 49,000 baht still leaving more than 400,000 baht in my account.

Some how she issued 94,000 by mistake!! I redeposited 45,000 into my acc. but for only a couple of minutes my acc. went below 400,000.

Am I likely to be penalised for what was the banks mistake?

20 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

Some how she issued 94,000 by mistake!! I redeposited 45,000 into my acc. but for only a couple of minutes my acc. went below 400,000.

They should of corrected their error in your bank book instead of you having to make a new deposit.

It is hard to predict what immigration will do when you go to apply for the extension. They should allow it since the money was only gone a few minutes.