Passengers Escape Unhurt As Bus Catches Fire In Khon Kaen

george

Passengers escape unhurt as bus catches fire in Khon Kaen

KHON KAEN: -- All 30 passengers escaped unhurt after their bus caught fire in Khon Kaen on Friday, just days after a similar incident on a Bangkok-bound coach in Saraburi left 30 passengers dead and dozens injured.

The bus, travelling from Nakhon Ratchasima to Udon Thani, was passing through Khon Kaen's Ban Had sub district on the Mitraparp Highway at 3.30pm when its engine caught fire. Fearing a repeat of the Saraburi mishap, the bus driver promptly pulled over and evacuated all the passengers safely.

Meanwhile, the president of the Private Bus Operators Association, Sujinda Cherdchai, has objected the Land Transport Department's proposal to retire buses after 10 years of use and to have them undergo checks every two years, which were launched amid claims that the Saraburi accident was caused by mechanical problems arising from the age of the bus.

Sujinda, the owner of Thailand's biggest bus assembly garage, insisted that disposing of buses after only 10 years was not practical, and said conducting inspections every two years was unnecessary because bus operators already conducted regular checks on their own. The greater number of checks would affect maintenance expenses and, subsequently, bus fares, she said. Sujinda urged the department to inform the association about its proposed measures and to organise a meeting of bus operators nationwide to discuss them.

While condoling with the victims' families, Sujinda said the punishment should be upon individuals. Her association will help pay the lawyers' fees in a lawsuit in demand compensation for the victims, she said.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima transport official Anusorn Withurakorn said his office would tighten checks on the condition of buses and increase tests on drivers' bloodalcohol levels to prevent a reoccurrence of the tragedy, especially during the Songkran Festival next month. Buses that fail the checks will be suspended from service immediately, he said.

In an update on the condition of 23 passengers injured in the Saraburi accident, the Public Health Ministry yesterday said eight critically wounded patients were stable. However they are still suffering from fever and tissue death and are being watched for infections.

Bangkok's Siriraj Hospital morgue has so far released 14 bodies to victims' relatives.

-- The Nation 2007-03-23

Meanwhile, the president of the Private Bus Operators Association, Sujinda Cherdchai, has objected the Land Transport Department's proposal to retire buses after 10 years of use and to have them undergo checks every two years, which were launched amid claims that the Saraburi accident was caused by mechanical problems arising from the age of the bus.

agree whole heartedly .

they should be ANNUAL checks at the minimum

agree whole heartedly .

they should be ANNUAL checks at the minimum

This is really weird sometimes how ppl in the top are thinking, passenger safety should be priority as they are the one who is paying they vages eventually...

Im dealing with SAFETY inspections and Safety training in the cruise ship industry and we have strick law's,rules and guidlines when it comes for inspection interwals and also recording them.

I think that ANNUAL inspection is not enough for Busses what are running 24/7.

resently there was TV program regarding one Korean plane accident where all passenger where killed, one might remeber plane was missled down in Russian air space.

Pilots where NOT allowed to make ANY alternation of course ORDERED by MANAGEMENT, if they would do, they would be terminated as they cost money to company.

what i try to say it might be similar for buss drivers here, when broblem situation arrives, they try to do everything they can to bring buss to it's destination and deal the broblem there as if they stop there will be EXTRA cost for operator and IT MIGHT be that big bosses has instructed they drivers that they are NOT allowed to stop with any reasson what might cost more to operatos and they MUST drive buss even it might have minor problem to it's destination.

Problem here might be the management, drivers just are scared to do anything or stop if proplem shows up as they might loose they jobs....

Like in all passenger passenger service business, Changes must start from the TOP, Management should show some Back bone and be more consern of passenger safety,, unfortunetly in Thailand that is not issue, only what management is seeing is money money as lost lives can be payed and that is cheaper solution than fixing the Buss or servicing that quartelly...

Some of these buses are rolling 24 hours a day, change of driver and another run. Annual checkups are not sufficient, especially with the age of most buses and unregulated modifications made . That deadly fire happened on a bus that had been in use for 36 years and probably around the clock for the most part.

Ride at your own risk. Most companies put profit before your safety (ie GREED). Some of the Drivers are just down right UNSAFE, I had one pass me just last week down town running at least 90kmph in a 40kmph zone, bus standing room only. We follow him to the local bus station, took the bus number and the wife report it to the local authority(ampher/governor(the one goes to major accident scenes)) and the bus company(407). My guess little of nothing was said or doing to the driver. :D:o

Sujinda, the owner of Thailand's biggest bus assembly garage, insisted that disposing of buses after only 10 years was not practical, and said conducting inspections every two years was unnecessary because bus operators already conducted regular checks on their own.

I drove interstate express buses/coaches and route buses for 20 years before I started in the hospitality industry. In every bus/coach there was a maintenence log book. The vehicle was not permitted to be driven (with passengers on board) if the reported fault was not fixed by a mechanic - who had to sign off on the repair.

In addition, the vehicle went over the 'pits' every 12 months for a full road-worthy inspection.

There is no reason why a similar situation could not operate in Thailand. It would have to be legislated to apply to all passenger carrying vehicles from tuk-tuks to VIP buses and everything in between - including trucks which carry passengers.

Khun Sujinda Cherdchai - you need a serious reality check. Jail time for vehicle owners who drive or order people to drive unsafe vehicles.

Peter

Ride at your own risk. Most companies put profit before your safety (ie GREED). Some of the Drivers are just down right UNSAFE, I had one pass me just last week down town running at least 90kmph in a 40kmph zone, bus standing room only. We follow him to the local bus station, took the bus number and the wife report it to the local authority(ampher/governor(the one goes to major accident scenes)) and the bus company(407). My guess little of nothing was said or doing to the driver. :D:o

Correct

BUT at least Nakhon Chai air will have insurance for it's passengers,, 100.000THB per seat, dont know if any other buss company has this.

NCA is good(Havent travel with them) but wife been abd several friend's,, IM not putting my feet to any buss insured or not.

Profits always come before safety here. Look at how overloaded buses and goods lorries are.... If someone tries to do something sensible about these ridiculously unsafe vehicles, the operating companies will have their drivers blockade a main road until some wishy-washy compromise is reached. The Transport Minister until recently was head of one of the largest trucking operations in Thailand; no compromise on safety there then, eh? :D

An overnight bus to Lampang, 10 years ago was an absolute nightmare. :o I was crapping myself the whole white-knuckle journey, whilst the regular passengers seemed to be quite relaxed and enjoying the ride... :D Never again, thnks.

The 407 Pattana Bus company are toe rags. In many years of using buses all over Thailand, they came out at the bottom of the pile, in terms of service, vehicle condition and any other indicator you care to mention. Even price, which in theory is fixed by the govt., but 407 didn't care about that and sometimes fixed their own. I once was asked to pay 100 baht for a 12 baht fare, so told the fixers on board to stick it up their backsides and jumped off before the bus left Khon Kaen bus station. I went straight round to the window where the Dept of Land Transport officials sit all day long doing sfa apart from announcing the odd departure and told them what happened. Inevitably they looked at me and gave a "bor ben yang" type of smile, then got back to the serious business of watching TV. I'd imagine their attitude towards safety inspections of vehicles would be equally rigorous. :D

YOu have to wonder how often buses do catch fire without being reported, there was one yesterday on the expressway. Not sure of the company but it was blue and white.

I guess the blue and white bus was the ones that run from Pattaya to Ekami Bangkok. I have travelled this service regulary over the past 9 months.

On the 20th this month my GF and myself caught a bus with this company to Bangkok. 30 minutes into the trip the airconditioning system failed. The driver pulled up under an overpass bridge, ie in the shade, and used his mobile to call for a replacement. The replacement bus arrived 40 minutes later.

Now this driver cared for his passengers!!

Did his loss his job for these actions!! :o

YOu have to wonder how often buses do catch fire without being reported, there was one yesterday on the expressway. Not sure of the company but it was blue and white.

I guess the blue and white bus was the ones that run from Pattaya to Ekami Bangkok. I have travelled this service regulary over the past 9 months.

On the 20th this month my GF and myself caught a bus with this company to Bangkok. 30 minutes into the trip the airconditioning system failed. The driver pulled up under an overpass bridge, ie in the shade, and used his mobile to call for a replacement. The replacement bus arrived 40 minutes later.

Now this driver cared for his passengers!!

Did his loss his job for these actions!! :o

Yes, it is nice when things go the way they should (or at least the way we think they should). But Roong Reuang Coach Co.'s operations, especially on the Pattaya-Bangkok route, are a bit of special case. This route is a true cash cow and the company is going to be very protective of it, the equipment and the passengers. Those same considerations don't apply to other operators flogging decades-old buses for 12 baht fares between Nakhon Nowhere and Khwaibpuayburi.

Sujinda, the owner of Thailand's biggest bus assembly garage, insisted that disposing of buses after only 10 years was not practical, and said conducting inspections every two years was unnecessary because bus operators already conducted regular checks on their own.

I drove interstate express buses/coaches and route buses for 20 years before I started in the hospitality industry. In every bus/coach there was a maintenence log book. The vehicle was not permitted to be driven (with passengers on board) if the reported fault was not fixed by a mechanic - who had to sign off on the repair.

In addition, the vehicle went over the 'pits' every 12 months for a full road-worthy inspection.

There is no reason why a similar situation could not operate in Thailand. It would have to be legislated to apply to all passenger carrying vehicles from tuk-tuks to VIP buses and everything in between - including trucks which carry passengers.

Khun Sujinda Cherdchai - you need a serious reality check. Jail time for vehicle owners who drive or order people to drive unsafe vehicles.

Peter

The idea of jail time is the only way forward but knowing the Thai justice system concerning the wealthy it is unlikely any owner would go to jail. Reminds me of the accident a few years back in the plastic doll factory. If my memory serves me many women died because fire exsits were blocked by order of the owners and it was proven the government building inspector took a bribe passing the factory. The only person to do jail time was the poor maintenance man who blocked the entrance not the owner who ordered it nor the government inspector.

The west was not much better for companies putting profit over safety until government legislation made CEO's liable threating them with jail time.

From what I've seen of Nakhon Chai Air's operations, they seem like a well run, well maintained bus line. The family involved are clearly aviation enthusiasts. If I had to ride the bus long distance in Thailand (that is, if there were no Thai Airways or Bangkok Airways direct flights), I'd go with them (along with The Transport Company's 999 VIP lines).

:o