Cancellation of WP and Visa Extension

Hi. Just need some advice. My employer doesn't want to cancel my work permit and visa (1yr extension) anytime soon. However, I want it to be properly cancelled so I won't have any problems when I find a new job here.

Should I just leave my work permit with them and let them send me a photo of the cancellation receipt once available? What would be the best way to do in this case?

I live in the province (12 hrs from bkk) and it would take an hour to visit the nearest immigration and labor office, so I can't go there without them. Also, I need to go to Bangkok this week already (I already have a place to stay there) and I need to get out of my current apartment soon as this is a school property. 

Edited by claire vi

You can cancel your Work Permit yourself, but I think you need the actual Permit, or at the very least, the number of it. If you don't have the Permit, the number might be referenced in your passport, next to your Non-B visa stamp.

10 hours ago, claire vi said:

Hi. Just need some advice. My employer doesn't want to cancel my work permit and visa (1yr extension) anytime soon. However, I want it to be properly cancelled so I won't have any problems when I find a new job here.

You have an extension of stay based on employment, not a visa.  Visas cannot be extended. So if you are no longer employed, your permission to stay would have or will no longer be valid since the reason for it has ended.

Do be careful of your timing with resignation/dismissal and cancellation of WP or you may find yourself on overstay. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was told at the labor office when trying to get a new WP that my old 1 had not been canceled. They also said the employer could be liable for fines up to 20k for not canceling it. ???? Karma sometimes is your friend.

Edited by mrwebb8825