Water-proof Passport

peter991

After 6 years of visiting Thailand - this will be my first visit during Songkran. I have see the pictures, seen the videos, read the text - now it's for real.

I would like an update please to this question: Because of all the water being thrown around, I don't want to risk carrying my passport (even wrapped in a plastic bag). Would a laminated copy of the passport's front page (showing my picture - date of issue and expiry etc) and my Australian departure stamp and Thailand arrival stamp be enough? Or - my must I have my full passport on me at all times?

Peter

i have had my phone in a zip lock bag during songkran no worries. (in fact, i double bagged it just in case).

you should also try going to an adventure shop where you can purchase a small waterproof pouch which will fit your phone, passport, keys etc inside. so you can go 'len naam' safely.

Laminated copy is a great idea, village police told me copies will do fine.

Also the Australian passport has to be one of the shoddiest pieces of workmanship every inflicted on the consumer by a monopoly. I've had two disintegrate on me in five years, purely through being "carried at all times" here and in Laos.

After 6 years of visiting Thailand - this will be my first visit during Songkran. I have see the pictures, seen the videos, read the text - now it's for real.

I would like an update please to this question: Because of all the water being thrown around, I don't want to risk carrying my passport (even wrapped in a plastic bag). Would a laminated copy of the passport's front page (showing my picture - date of issue and expiry etc) and my Australian departure stamp and Thailand arrival stamp be enough? Or - my must I have my full passport on me at all times?

Peter

officialy you must carry your passport, I never carry mine. I always have a laminated scan. Just go to a Kodak shop scan the page with the pic and one with the stamp make two beatiful pictures of it in the kodak shop laminate it and any policeman will patch you on the shoulder. If you get in trouble you get mostly 24 hours to show the real thing.

Peter

Peter it will make a difference where in Thailand you will be: Chiang Mai Chiang Rai you will need monsoon level of protection. Bangkok gets wet but nothing like up north or Isaan. Further south the level of water in lower so the protection needed less. I use one of the zip lock bags that has a little plastic runner to force them together. It came with my suitcase and is really for toiletries etc. Make sure you squeeze out as much air as possible from the bag and for extra security consider tossing in a silica gel bag. You will probably have a couple from camera gear etc lying around. If not wander into a camera shop and ask them for one. They will usually have them for sale but often will give you one free if you ask nicely.

Re the passport - I scanned the page with my photo and the one with my visa details and had them laminated in a camera shop at Chaing Mai for only a few baht. Sometimes Internet Cafes will do it for you as well. I have to carry my passport and work permit as a matter of course for work but keep the laminate on me for things like Songkran or if a police officer wants to keep it until I hand over some cash. A real passport is a more valuable tool for them to extort money than a laminated copy.

Peter

officialy you must carry your passport, I never carry mine. I always have a laminated scan. Just go to a Kodak shop scan the page with the pic and one with the stamp make two beatiful pictures of it in the kodak shop laminate it and any policeman will patch you on the shoulder. If you get in trouble you get mostly 24 hours to show the real thing.

Is this true and do you have any direct experience of it? I understood if you were asked for id and didn't have it you were straight to the monkey house and had to make arrangements from there for someone to produce it.

Hi Everyone,

Just curious about in what circumstances people have been required to produce their passports?

I have lived here for 4 years and been asked once. That was during the APEC clampdown when the immigration police descended in force on Ekamai Soi 23 which has three blocks of cheap flats mostly rented by foreigners (westerners and Africans). I always carry a photocopy, and this was accepted without any problem. Other than that, I have never been asked even when reporting crimes to a police station (twice). Even hotels, which are supposed to check your ID, never seem to. I don't carry my passport because of the potential vast amount of hassle if I lost it and because I suspect it would disintegrate within six months.

Also, I have been told that a Thai driving licence is valid ID. Anyone know if this is true? I always leave a Thai driving licence as a deposit when renting cars or bikes and it has always been accepted.

N.B. That last statement looks a little strange, I should explain that I have a car licence and a motorcycle licence and I leave the non-applicable one as the deposit!

I never carry my passport or a copy with me. I've been in Thailand for nearly three years and never had any problems. On only one occasion was I asked to show my passport by a police officer. I didn't have it, and he didn't have any problem.

This forum seems to have some ultra-conservative and rather paranoid members.

Also, I have been told that a Thai driving licence is valid ID. Anyone know if this is true? ...

From a legal point of view it is not as your DL does not show your immigration status. But a lot of places do accept a DL.

As for the p/port, I always carry it and it never bothered me. Wrapped in a tight plastic foil it stays without wrinkles. And never ever somebody wanted to see it.

Edited by Axel

i have had my phone in a zip lock bag during songkran no worries. (in fact, i double bagged it just in case).

you should also try going to an adventure shop where you can purchase a small waterproof pouch which will fit your phone, passport, keys etc inside. so you can go 'len naam' safely.

Great Tip! thanks Donna! maybe some stationary stores sell these plastic zip pouches also.

KD :o

I have lived here for 5 years and NEVER carry my passport or a photocopy. I have never had a problem and am certainly not worried about it. I cant see the police giving a damb unless you break the law.

My expericne, however, does not include Bangkok, in 5 years I have spoent a grand total of about 12 nights in the smog so maybe things are stricter there. But even so - tthe way I see it is, if you dont have it, what r they gonna do?

Never ever carried my passport or even a copy at any time I have spent in Thailand - or up here in Laos. The times I have been collared by the police for some of my 'interesting' road maneuvers or stopping for a few hours in the short stop places ... I have just shown them my driving license photo card which I carry in my wallet. Never been asked for my passport at any time.

As for songkran tidal wave protection is required in Vientiane particularly when you venture out of the city limits. There is a few toll bridges where cars have to stop to pay and if your on the back of a pickup your treated to a good few minutes of hose pipe and several buckets of water. .. :D

Being the big 33 year old kid I am as usual I will be on the back of my pickup rather than inside recieving the full bombardment. Although my liver is cringeing at the thought of the amount of Beer Lao that will be consumed! :o