A Chromecast is good value or not?

giddyup

I have been downloading movies and TV series torrents for years, I put them onto a USB stick and watch them through my big screen TV. Am wondering if I would be better being able to watch the same programs with a Chromecast, because with the method I am presently using I get a pretty much perfect picture and sound with no stuttering or pausing, and am only interested in a Chromecast if it can deliver the same. Any opinions from those who are using Chromecast would be appreciated.

I have been downloading movies and TV series torrents for years, I put them onto a USB stick and watch them through my big screen TV. Am wondering if I would be better being able to watch the same programs with a Chromecast, because with the method I am presently using I get a pretty much perfect picture and sound with no stuttering or pausing, and am only interested in a Chromecast if it can deliver the same. Any opinions from those who are using Chromecast would be appreciated.
Sounds like you have a perfect system already. My feeling about ChromeCast(CC) are mixed.
When I use my Samsung android phone with CC it won't cast, but will mirror the Samsung screen. This is OK for me, but I should have read the tech sheet about CC first.
I also find that while I'm mirroring to my big TV, the picture sometimes drops out and I have to reset the cast. Pic is there on my Samsung, but WiFi signal to the CC must fade out, causing the TV drop out. I really haven't investigated why.
I used it yesterday with my Microsoft computer and the tv shows cast icon, but it wouldn't cast. Haven't investigated.
Also took it to a hotel, but again had trouble casting from my android to the room TV.
As I said, I haven't looked into the teething problems, but sounds, to me, your present system is better.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like you got a good system (bit old fashioned).

Different thing would be an android box in the network connected to an USB drive to the router. Then you can have all your movies at a central place without having to put them first on an USB drive.

I got a NAS drive in the network that has all movies and tv series, that connects to an fire tv stick (could be an other android box) and so i can see all my movies tv series with fast speeds without having to mess around with usb sticks.

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

When I use my Samsung android phone with CC it won't cast, but will mirror the Samsung screen.

I used it yesterday with my Microsoft computer and the tv shows cast icon, but it wouldn't cast. Haven't investigated.

These are things that work fine with my Android phone and also with my Windows laptop.  

Always make sure that your phone/laptop and the Chromecast are on the same Wifi network.  The signal should also be strong enough. Streaming takes some bandwidth, and if your Wifi is bad or if you are in a place with a lot of other Wifi networks you can get problems.  The Chromecast only works if both your phone and Chromecast have a good Wifi signal.  This is probably also why it didn't work in your hotel.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes chromecast is the way to go...we have 2....one for audio but that one ruined my panasonic dvd-receiver.....now it is hanging nonstop....don't know what happened.

But audiocast with online radio is also great!

I have an Alexa Echo Dot for music, can access thousands of radio stations with a choice of any music genre you want.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Seems like you got a good system (bit old fashioned).

Different thing would be an android box in the network connected to an USB drive to the router. Then you can have all your movies at a central place without having to put them first on an USB drive.

I got a NAS drive in the network that has all movies and tv series, that connects to an fire tv stick (could be an other android box) and so i can see all my movies tv series with fast speeds without having to mess around with usb sticks.

I only add the movies and TV series to a USB stick long enough to watch them, then they get deleted. That's what I like about having what I want on the stick, I can watch what I want, when I want. Old fashioned it might be, but it works well with no frustrations, which seems to be the case with some Chromecast users here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have an Alexa Echo Dot for music, can access thousands of radio stations with a choice of any music genre you want.

I googled it, looks nice but i need more power because i want to connect many speakers which are all over the house.

Now i 'm looking for a new amplifier with audiocast function....don't need any speakers with that...any tips are welcome.

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I didn't like my Chromecast so I've stopped using it. I'd have to re set it up numerous times. Some apps can't be casted. YouTube works well.

Personally i found it too much effort so i just use my tablet now

Mobdro will not cast, neither will BBC etc if you have VPN on. Stick with your stick!

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I googled it, looks nice but i need more power because i want to connect many speakers which are all over the house.

Now i 'm looking for a new amplifier with audiocast function....don't need any speakers with that...any tips are welcome.

You can do that with the Dot. I have mine connected to my Hi Fi with leads, but if you have a bluetooth stereo you don't need them. You can also ask Alexa any question, like what's the time in San Francisco, how many feet in a mile, who sang The Long and Winding Road, etc,etc, you get the picture.

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I only add the movies and TV series to a USB stick long enough to watch them, then they get deleted. That's what I like about having what I want on the stick, I can watch what I want, when I want. Old fashioned it might be, but it works well with no frustrations, which seems to be the case with some Chromecast users here.

Its just that if you have a router (most people do) and you take an external usb drive and hook it up to the router (many have that option). You got an USB drive on the network. Then you could access it from everywhere always. So you dont have to move your movies / series around.

And yes it works how you describe. Just telling you how it can be done easier. (sometimes it needs an android box too)

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Stick with the flash drive.....I do just the same as U....never any problems :thumbsup:

• Like 1

@fruitman not sure if the speakers you are connecting to are inividual free-standing speakers or speakers mounted in the walls and ceilings. You can use this device in the pic. to select 1, 2, 3 etc or all speakers. Better if you've pre-wired the speaker cables.

Also WiFi speakers my soninlaw has, think they are Sonos speakers. Sound great.20191007_132840.jpg20191007_132823.jpg

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Its just that if you have a router (most people do) and you take an external usb drive and hook it up to the router (many have that option). You got an USB drive on the network. Then you could access it from everywhere always. So you dont have to move your movies / series around.

And yes it works how you describe. Just telling you how it can be done easier. (sometimes it needs an android box too)

Not sure I follow. You say plug a USB drive into the router, then what? How am I going to access that from anywhere? And if I have to also buy a Android box, seems like it's not getting any easier than plugging a USB into my PC, downloading movies onto it, and then plugging into my TV, can't get much simpler than that.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not sure I follow. You say plug a USB drive into the router, then what? How am I going to access that from anywhere? And if I have to also buy a Android box, seems like it's not getting any easier than plugging a USB into my PC, downloading movies onto it, and then plugging into my TV, can't get much simpler than that.

Probably best you stick with your current procedure.

Plug USB drive or stick into router that has USB storage facility.
Enable DLNA at router.
Enable SAMBA or FTP at router.

USB drive or stick is now a network storage device.
Files on the USB storage device can be remotely updated from a PC
Video files on the USB storage can be watched on device with DNLA service like a smart TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

For movies maybe yes. But a Chromecast/Android box can also be used to watch television like Netflix and others.

4 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Roku stick = very easy, very nice looking and works perfectly for apps and plex for streaming from pc.

Sorry to stray OT.  I had a Roku stick, couldn't figure out how to use it through my VPN, gave up and went another direction.

I gave it to a friend last week and deleted my account but he is having great difficulty setting up his own account, keeps defaulting to my email address.  Any suggestions?   Also, how do you have your Roku set up to work in Thailand?   I'm not technically very savvy and couldn't do it.

4 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

For movies maybe yes. But a Chromecast/Android box can also be used to watch television like Netflix and others.

And watch the movies and TV shows I've already downloaded from torrent sites?

39 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

It's sitting in a cupboard somewhere, but I already explained that was more trouble than it's worth, and the last time I used it I couldn't find out how to get it back to English language, as someone suggested using it as a USB media player, which seemed to stuff it right up. I was hoping a Chromecast would be something simple and easy but it appears that what I'm doing at present is about as simple and easy as it gets.

32 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Bought one a couple of years ago, never could get it to work so it's in the draw still. I use the stick, it works

I think my mind is made up, stick with what I'm doing, it works, and it's frustration free. Thanks for all the input though.

Edited by giddyup

Get your android box, install KODI - add the HD to your network place - then navigate to your torrent folder of your computer.

Then every time you download a new episode or movie, you hit refresh and it appears on your file list. 

I used this a couple of years before investing in a Synology NAS which streams directly to an app on a Samsung TV.

If you have a smart TV you might be able to do away with the android box, instal plex on your tv. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Sorry to stray OT.  I had a Roku stick, couldn't figure out how to use it through my VPN, gave up and went another direction.

I gave it to a friend last week and deleted my account but he is having great difficulty setting up his own account, keeps defaulting to my email address.  Any suggestions?   Also, how do you have your Roku set up to work in Thailand?   I'm not technically very savvy and couldn't do it.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

To get the full function in Thailand, you would need to configure your Router, so as for the connection to appear to be from the U.K/EU/U.S.A.

But if you don't have that option, you can use it for the non-geographically blocked channels or for Streaming Torrents(needs a subscription).

The Xiaomi Mi Box S is a 4K Android box with Google services including Chromecast built in.

At around THB1900 it is good value considering a 4K Chromecast is almost THB3000 (in Thailand).
I'm thinking of getting a new box. I suppose you use this box, so does it unexpectantly drop out and you have to reset the power to make it function again? This is the problem I have with my Roku box.
Any downside to this box. Thanks

5 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm thinking of getting a new box. I suppose you use this box, so does it unexpectantly drop out and you have to reset the power to make it function again? This is the problem I have with my Roku box.

It's not perfect. On the Mi Box I mostly only use either Kodi with content from local storage or Chromecast streaming from Youtube. Once in a while, after using Kodi it won't cast smoothly without a reboot. But you can do that via the remote and even an original Chromecast needs resetting sometimes so I find it acceptable.

You can also control the box with voice commands using the built-in Google Home app...... if you don't mind having a conversation with a box lol.

• Like 1

I never had a problem with my Minix box. Although more expensive than others mentioned it's less hassle
  • Like 1