Keeping fit Gym or swim

zorrow424

Forever been a swimmer,but looking at results of swimming hardly comes near to fitness,yes uses every limb etc, but that is about all,nothing special.

Switched to gym workout,now into more serious workouts. Can lift HR up to close on max  136 in my case,could not do that swimming,bone density improved by weights,just feel so much better. Yes a bore gym,but once  desired HR reached (about 10 mins on cross trainer),can slow things down,rowing,forward bending with weight adjustment,eases back ache. For me swimming's a waste of time and effort

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling also a great way to get your heart up, how much is up to you

Every serious cyclist I have known from years ago all have artificial knees ,hips,but being a past swimmer I guess kept me away from intensive exercise,now not bothered,just aging now is the problem

At 68, and with all the attendant problems that that age brings, I have my doubts about doing weight training or anything strenuous in the gym. Swimming, however, works well for me as it is not stressful on the joints and allows me to keep supple and do a bit of cardio (I don't just swim up and down, but "frolic", using flippers and snorkel). I'm aware of the benefits of weights, but the joints don't react too well. 

Every serious cyclist I have known from years ago all have artificial knees ,hips,but being a past swimmer I guess kept me away from intensive exercise,now not bothered,just aging now is the problem
I know plenty of cyclists in 60s 70s 80s none with artificial knees or hips. Maybe other factors involved or they were extreme cyclists

Swimming long distance in Olympic pool or ocean combines exercise with a kind of meditation and if you want to tone specific areas using paddles , kick board and doing different-drills can really take swimming to whole other level . Watching most people swim it does not look like not much exercise but it’s up to you [emoji1340]‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Swimming long distance in Olympic pool or ocean combines exercise with a kind of meditation and if you want to tone specific areas using paddles , kick board and doing different-drills can really take swimming to whole other level . Watching most people swim it does not look like not much exercise but it’s up to you emoji1340.png♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh for the days of body surfing and rubber ducking on Sydney's beaches back in the 60's and 70's.

This certainly took my competition swimming as a child in England to a new level.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:12 PM, zorrow424 said:

Forever been a swimmer,but looking at results of swimming hardly comes near to fitness,yes uses every limb etc, but that is about all,nothing special.

Sounds like you are not pushing yourself hard enough.  Find a 50m pool, and give me 10 laps free style, followed by 10 laps butterfly full out.  If u have anything left, get down and give me 100 pushups, followed by 15 minutes skipping.

Science seems to say one needs weight bearing exercise to maintain bone density as we age.  Swimming doesn't provide that.  I got back into the gym a little over a year ago and push the weights as hard as I can.  The results have been amazing and I continue to feel much better than I did before.  A combination of weights and stretching leaves me feeling great and has changed my body composition and appearance.  By the way I am 65.

Personally I hate doing cardio indoors, preferring to run trails, hike or cycle.  ????️‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️????

Archived