Lack of critical thinking makes Thailand's competitiveness ranking slip

webfact

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

Yes, same with me and I still do it.

You feel kinda sorry for them because you can see in their faces that they know it's wrong, but they won't say anything. Bless. ????

I do this when I get first years at the uni and I berate them for not pointing it out to me. After that, you can't stop them. ????

However, they still continue NOT to bring anything to the attention of their Thai lecturers. ????

Which brings up another aligned point, my uni is divided by language of tuition, either Thai or English. Many times the director the English program has asked Thai professors to come across to the English program (where 90% of the lecturers are foreigners) and teach a course or a few lessons, these are Thai professors who can comprehend and speak excellent English.

They refuse.

Why, because they are frightened that the Thai and more especially the foreign exchange students (mostly German, a few Singaporeans and more) will ask questions. 

• Like 2

This country is an large scale idiot factory. Case close. 

Look all aspect : food first. Transformed food with heavy sugar , american way of eating anyhow anytime 

Second, have you ever see a show on tv where youth can learn anything ? No, all you got is dummy show or legendary drama movies. 

Third at early age, i remember when i had free time , i was on playground doin sport from sunset to sun down.  Here, they play with their phone - selfie all day , tchi tchat doing nothing and spend their entire day in mall eating sweet or horrible processed food.. 

What kind of nation you expect with that??? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeff270476 said:

This country is an large scale idiot factory. Case close. 

Look all aspect : food first. Transformed food with heavy sugar , american way of eating anyhow anytime 

Wrong. So wrong.

Second, have you ever see a show on tv where youth can learn anything ? No, all you got is dummy show or legendary drama movies. 

Wrong. So wrong again. Have so many documentaries. Maybe not your friend. Change the channel.

Third at early age, i remember when i had free time , i was on playground doin sport from sunset to sun down. 

Hmmmm. One minute? Where? At the idiot factory?

Lot of Thai exercise. Football, takraw, aerobic, fitness park, gym, volleyball, badminton.

How much exercise you do yesterday. 

Here, they play with their phone - selfie all day , tchi tchat doing nothing and spend their entire day in mall eating sweet or horrible processed food.. 

What kind of nation you expect with that??? 

I think you have small knowledge/experience in Thailand. Not see much.

61FAE5D2-CB40-4BE7-9A1C-7871D93539BD.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daoyai said:

can't have critical thinking without free thought and speech... laws and culture need to change, 

Agree 75%. Freedom of thought is a society working out its collective thinking, but I don't think lack of free speech precludes it altogether.

Here's a bigger problem with this whole article & thread: What *exactly* is meant by critical thinking?

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Sure, work hard and you'll do well, but the paper was about Thailand's competitive edge. Lack of critical thinking is hampering the countries' growth and other countries are overtaking Thailand.

I critical this “paper”. How he know???? Is not science. Opinion.

If you think critical about what really this paper is, you know that.

nobody ask Yinn. I am genius.

some people are lazy brain, so people think to much.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I critical this “paper”. How he know???? Is not science. Opinion.

If you think critical about what really this paper is, you know that.

nobody ask Yinn. I am genius.

some people are lazy brain, so people think to much.

Assistant Professor Wilert Puriwat, dean of the Chulalongkorn Business School, which is allied with the WEF, said that, If Thailand wants to improve its ranking, labour skills must be improved. 

Well the research seems to be at least partly in conjunction with Chula , so maybe take it up with them.

PS Anyone who really is a genius, does not say they are.

• Like 2

Last week my gf was sent as a guest lecturer to one of the main BKK universities by her company. After 45 min presentation she wanted to motivate the students with a brain-storming session/ some small project-work. Guess what? It turned out to be a disaster and she had to move on with the monotonous presentation. After she finished the Q&A session was done in a few minutes. We are talking about 180-200 students! 

Thailand is just a 3rd world country in the context of critical thinking/being smart. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Education by rote; don't raise your hand in classrooms or you get canned; and so on. Some societies do not want people thinking outside of the box. Just sayin'

I remember being taught the Japanese saying, "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down". But this is not limited to Asia. here I am in Thailand after finishing 41 years as a Kentucky educator, retiring at my top salary of $55K per year. Really? Well, it could have been higher had I not applied critical thinking to questioning the administration on occasion ... and helping for a union. My choice? Yep, "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down". Fortunately for me, this Br'er Rabbit has been thrown into the Briarpatch.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, davehowden said:

Looks like the "unsafe drinking water" is to blame ??

I thought the drinking water issue was kind of weird when talking about competitiveness. But if I understand correctly it's a Swiss study, so perhaps Nestle subsided it or something.

Many posters have made good points.

As hard as I am on Thais, I do NOT think they are incapable. Surely, they have similar potential to us all. 

I truly belive the biggest issue facing them is that the Thai (mostly Chinese) elites do not want the country to grow at the expense of their power and authority. 

The Thai Chinese have done an absolutely marvelous job of coaxing the country into their personal playground. Who would give up that status? Not me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Many posters have made good points.

As hard as I am on Thais, I do NOT think they are incapable. Surely, they have similar potential to us all. 

I truly belive the biggest issue facing them is that the Thai (mostly Chinese) elites do not want the country to grow at the expense of their power and authority. 

The Thai Chinese have done an absolutely marvelous job of coaxing the country into their personal playground. Who would give up that status? Not me. 

Excellent analogy ! Only problem is, it will take me at least a few hours before I can get the images of Chucky Dolls, barbed wire and locked gates out of my very vivid imagination!