Jump to content

Boy pleads for his life as father attacks him with a coat hanger


webfact

Recommended Posts

Boy pleads for his life as father attacks him with a coat hanger

 

2pm1.jpg

Thai caption: "Daddy - please don't kill me!"

 

Daily News reported that a ten year old boy pleaded for his life as his 48 year old father attacked him with a coat hanger in Buriram in Thailand's north-east.

 

The boy had sold his free school milk to get 70 baht to buy firecrackers. 

 

This enraged "Than". 

 

On seeing the injuries - pictures of which were shown in the media - the local phu yai ban (village elder) reported the matter. 

 

The police have interviewed the father and are investigating further. 

 

Source: Daily News

 

 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-11
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Cap the the scum father.

 

My father did the same to me and worse when I was that age. But I would never agree to having him "capped" as you suggest. The reason is that without a father it would at that time be very difficult to survive (probably somewhat similar where I grew up all those decades ago as it is in Thailand today). And besides, and this is the terrible thing about having an abusive parent, having a father that leaves marks on you is far better from the kid's point of view than not having a parent at all. Besides, if the cops or anyone else had capped my father, the ten year old or my ten-year-old self would blame himself.

 

Such matters require a lot more work than the knee-jerk reaction policy that you suggest. Don't get me wrong, fathers should not be allowed to flay their childen but there is a better way of dealing with the problem than the "hang 'em high" approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This act by the father surely is abuse. It goes beyond even strict authoritarian discipline. The damage caused by this kind of parental behavior can result in untold miseries in the boys future. I hope there is the possibility of family or community intervention that will lessen the boys chances of further abuse but unless there is a history of ever increasing violence inflicted on the boy by the father......the object of 

behavioral change must be on the father. If he cannot ameliorate his anger

then a safe environment for the boy will be the only option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodomino said:

This act by the father surely is abuse. It goes beyond even strict authoritarian discipline. The damage caused by this kind of parental behavior can result in untold miseries in the boys future. I hope there is the possibility of family or community intervention that will lessen the boys chances of further abuse but unless there is a history of ever increasing violence inflicted on the boy by the father......the object of 

behavioral change must be on the father. If he cannot ameliorate his anger

then a safe environment for the boy will be the only option.

 

I wonder what the fathers' typical behaviors and values are? Has the young boy seen his father do stupid things and is thus learning to do thing which are stupid and lacking in common sense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Proboscis said:

My father did the same to me and worse when I was that age. But I would never agree to having him "capped" as you suggest. The reason is that without a father it would at that time be very difficult to survive (probably somewhat similar where I grew up all those decades ago as it is in Thailand today). And besides, and this is the terrible thing about having an abusive parent, having a father that leaves marks on you is far better from the kid's point of view than not having a parent at all. Besides, if the cops or anyone else had capped my father, the ten year old or my ten-year-old self would blame himself.

 

Such matters require a lot more work than the knee-jerk reaction policy that you suggest. Don't get me wrong, fathers should not be allowed to flay their childen but there is a better way of dealing with the problem than the "hang 'em high" approach.

Flaying, not hanging perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Canada, if a parent did that to their child, they would be in jail.

  Also in Canada, I see many spoiled teens who should have felt

some discipline when they were young, but now they are delinquents on the

streets, bumming for money at street corners. Did the kid really need firecrackers?

Just a question.

Geezer

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

A clip around the ear,would have been enough,

looks like the father is taking his anger over

something else out on the kid,as that is excessive.

regards worgeordie

A small punishment would have been deserved - selling his school milk to buy firecrackers is plain naughty, but not a savage attack. Father probably enraged at wasting his hard earned cash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

A clip around the ear,would have been enough,

looks like the father is taking his anger over

something else out on the kid,as that is excessive.

regards worgeordie

That's the truth... this isn't about milk or firecrackers, the fathers got some serious issues !

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:23 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

In Canada, if a parent did that to their child, they would be in jail.

  Also in Canada, I see many spoiled teens who should have felt

some discipline when they were young, but now they are delinquents on the

streets, bumming for money at street corners. Did the kid really need firecrackers?

Just a question.

Geezer

Before somebody tells you Geezer that "this is not about Canada", I'll throw in my 2 cents worth as I too am Canadian. My family was 3 boys and 3 girls. My father used to beat the daylights out of my oldest brother. We're talking blood! One time, at about 14 years old, bro went to the police. They told him, "oh no, we know your father and he would never do this". They took him back home. My brother was psychologically damaged from the beatings for the rest of his life.

Me, I never got hit, just yelled at a lot (deservedly).

I assure you, this situation is not exclusive to Thailand. It goes on in North America to this day.

 

And I just recalled, my X wife used to be butt strapped by her father for no apparent reason. He used to say to her, "don't you dare pass out on me".

I agree with another poster, these child-beating-fathers are releasing their anger on their children.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, Proboscis said:

My father did the same to me and worse when I was that age. But I would never agree to having him "capped" as you suggest. The reason is that without a father it would at that time be very difficult to survive (probably somewhat similar where I grew up all those decades ago as it is in Thailand today). And besides, and this is the terrible thing about having an abusive parent, having a father that leaves marks on you is far better from the kid's point of view than not having a parent at all. Besides, if the cops or anyone else had capped my father, the ten year old or my ten-year-old self would blame himself.

 

Such matters require a lot more work than the knee-jerk reaction policy that you suggest. Don't get me wrong, fathers should not be allowed to flay their childen but there is a better way of dealing with the problem than the "hang 'em high" approach.

Thanks for posting this. I would add that it would be great if the difficulty were better understood.  Without knowing the family’s economics it seems that the father places a value on the free milk that the son does not. (And probably other things as well). If I’m correct the issue becomes how to teach a child the worth of things, and perhaps the value of tomorrow not just today.  No sort of physical punishment teaches that, at least it never worked for me. 
In a better world the community would gather and register their displeasure with the father and the police(I know that’s ridiculous now) or someone would talk with the father/family and offer suggestions (boy works off the 70 baht, has regular chores to be done before eating, etc)

 

Im not thinking of Thailand now or anywhere else for that matter. 
Just imagining a better world - 300 years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 5:44 PM, hotchilli said:

That's the truth... this isn't about milk or firecrackers, the fathers got some serious issues !

It’s about both.  Imagine the child sells his milk and says, “father, I want to give you this 70bt to help you”.  If the father beats him just the same you’re right otherwise it looks like there’s another issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...