Retirees and medical insurance

webfact

To this must be added the consideration that most insurance policies carry exclusion clauses which can void individual claims.

There is the out on claims, exclusions, and pre existing conditions , blah blah blah.

He says 400,000 wont handle heart surgery and ICU? Really I was in a private hospital here in July; many tests for CAD; then surgery and a stent fitted, ICU 24 hours, 2 nights in a room in the hospital and 2 months of drugs on discharge, 347,000 baht.

So the guy who wrote this does he work for an insurance company and using scare and divide tactics to lure more customers?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

One problem with this article is that we already have some reports that some offices intend to enforce the insurance requirement on EXTENSIONS when the base visa is O-A starting after 31 October. That may not be the intention of the police order but actual enforcement matters to expats much more than police orders. 

The way the Police Order is worded, it could reasonably interpreted that it applies to to extensions for which the base visa (used to obtain the original permission to stay) was a Non-Immigrant "O-A" and it most likely was the intention.  But, as mentioned, how the new rule is enforced is what will matter, which we will not know until after the end of this month when those whose extensions are based on an O-A visa report on whether they are being required to have health insurance of not.

What is missing in the new orders, but alluded to by the Ministry of Public Health officials when originally announced, is the acceptance of foreign health insurance policies that meet the requirements or the ability to self insure by showing sufficient funds to cover medical costs.  Foreign health insurance policies apparently can be used by future applicants for O-A Visas at Thai Embassies or Consulates based on the Certificate that can be downloaded from the Thai General Insurance Association (TGIA) website.  But, for extensions, the new requirements in the Police order specifically states an insurance policy purchased through the TGIA website - which is a listing of links to various Thai insurance companies.

My bet is they will allow extensions for Non O without insurance but will require proof of insurance if anyone goes to a nearby consul to get a new Non O visa for purposes of retirement... Present Non O holders are grandfathered but one visa renewal failure (which they can selectively facilitate) and there is no way to get a new visa to start over without insurance... Thais save face by not being seen as taking away visa only not issuing new ones... Similar to how they fazed out the Condo visas...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I did my extension this morning at CM Immigration. Health insurance was not mentioned.

Why would it have been? The policy change doesn't take effect until Oct. 31.

And if you're not a former O-A visa holder, then you probably don't have anything to worry about at all.

47 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

My bet is they will allow extensions for Non O without insurance but will require proof of insurance if anyone goes to a nearby consul to get a new Non O visa for purposes of retirement... Present Non O holders are grandfathered but one visa renewal failure (which they can selectively facilitate) and there is no way to get a new visa to start over without insurance... Thais save face by not being seen as taking away visa only not issuing new ones... Similar to how they fazed out the Condo visas...

There's nothing in the new insurance policy relating to O visas... only O-A visas and perhaps the extensions flowing from them...

Unless you meant O-As, and were shorthanding it by saying Os.

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

People are not being pushed to abandon anything. You will need two policies.  The Thai's will not let you use your good foreign policy because they want to make money out of you.

People will need their proper comprehensive foreign policy, in case of illness and / or injury, and the Thai junk policy, just to obtain a visa / extension. So, that 1900 baht visa is set to become a whole lot more expensive, on top of the 800,000 baht in a bank that makes no money for you, and you can't even use 400,000 baht of it, forever.

The wealthy Thai elite can't be seen stealing visa fees, but they can force you to buy a junk insurance policy from an accredited company that they have financial interests in. 

Those who can not afford both, really should be looking at leaving Thailand. 

Don't shoot the messenger.  We can all see what they are doing, and we all know why they are doing it.  It has nothing to do with foreigners not paying their medical bills.  They are corrupt and greedy, and are using their power to legally extort money from foreigners. 

It will come down to paying them what they want for their policy that covers practically nothing, if you want to remain in Thailand, or leave. 

Since when has any rule or law come in that even remotely benefits foreigners in Thailand????

Yes I would consider the Elite card in that case (if my extensions are impacted) but sadly there is no guarantee the health requirement won't migrate there as well. They could stimulate sales if they could guarantee that but I don't think that they possibly could (credibly) even if they wanted to.

Oh well!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's nothing in the new insurance policy relating to O visas... only O-A visas and perhaps the extensions flowing from them...

Unless you meant O-As, and were shorthanding it by saying Os.

I meant Non O... My bet is that they will eventually no longer issue a visa from any embassy or consul for the purposes of retirement without proof of insurance!... Then weed out the extension holders by attrition... which they can facilitate... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I meant Non O... My bet is that they will eventually no longer issue a visa from any embassy or consul for the purposes of retirement without proof of insurance!... Then weed out the extension holders by attrition... which they can facilitate... 

Could well be... But right now, the new police order only pertains to O-A visas, not O visas, and perhaps extensions of stay stemming from O-A visas...

Right now, O visas aren't in play at all.

6 minutes ago, rodknock said:

the hospitals say they loose so much money.

when you see there annual statements they make a ton of money.

would share holders stay with a hospital if it was always loosing money??

Government hospitals, not private hospitals.