Pick-up Automatic Transmission

I will soon be buying a new pickup, and since my wife will drive it most of the time I think of an automatic. Now she drives a 25 year old 3 litre petrol Nissan and only shifts gear untill the engine almost drops dead. I feel so much pity on this engine, but it must be bullet proof since it now has 300K kms and still runs perfect.

I doubt if the newer engines will stand this torture such a long time so the solution may be an automatic.

I know the advantage of an automatic in the city, but most of the kms we do are in the mountain roads in the north.

In Europe I drive a BMW steptronic automatic, and this gearbox is so very intelligent , I even never have had the need to switch to manual steptronic. On mountain roads it knows exactly when to switch gear , or keep same gear in extreme situations, like taking over a truck.

Now my question is: how "intelligent" are the pickup automatics , like the Vigo or the Dmax. Or are they just mechanically driven , and unexpectidly shift gear when they are not supposed to , in situations like overtaking a bus (this is ofcourse hypothetical !!!) or going down hill and loosing power brake .

Thanks for your advice.

All of your newer truck transmissions are computerized. I think it's been that way since the early 1990's. They know when to select the appropriate gear ratio, they know if you are towing, they can compensate for the terrain etc...so yes, they are quite intelligent. I don't think they are as rock solid as a manual tranny, but I prefer an automatic over a manual any day.

If you're buying new, no problem, pretty smart trannies although I'll never buy another auto (I certainly wouldn't buy one new) after two years of hassle with my Beemer.

If you're getting a used vehicle, avoid autos like the plague, remember it's been 'serviced' by Somchai, worse it may have been apart on his kitchen table. 

I'm afraid I have a somewhat biased view, I've owned three autos over the years, two were simple hydraulic three-speeders, no problem with them, the last (in the Beemer) was electronic, a total disaster in LoS :o In a pickup, with a bomb-proof diesel engine, manual any day, but since the Missus will be driving it why not ask her what she would like.

Edited by Crossy

Now my question is: how "intelligent" are the pickup automatics , like the Vigo or the Dmax. Or are they just mechanically driven , and unexpectidly shift gear when they are not supposed to ,

on mountain roads (steep hills) it is better to work the auto box like a manual in order to retain some control over things.

on really steep inclines i find that the auto on my vigo 4wd changes too late , the car has slowed down too much.

its suits me better to flick the shift lever from D into 3 and then into 2 if necessary to get the torque to get up the hill. on "normal " hills there is no problem.

similarly coming down a steep hill , to avoid the car running away with itself , i keep the car in 2 or 3 , or sometimes use the low ratio box which can act as a hill descent control and keeps the speed really low without having to touch the brake.

no problems with overtaking , the 3 litre engines of the vigo or d-max are powerful enough to give power when needed and the auto box will kickdown if necessary.

I have a 2004 D-max 3.0 turbo auto and as far as auto transmissions go it is great, as someone mentioned earlier, you can shift down manually to utilize engine braking when necessary, as far as overtaking goes no problem at all. The D-max also has a power drive switch which basically tells the computer to change at higher RPM's giving the truck alot more poke/torque on hills or when overtaking.

Edited by Pomthai

Autos are for old folks!

Yes your right there, I remember when I was young I would buy a secondhand automatic car and the first thing I would do is junk the auto and drop in a manual box,

Now Im old I pay someone to junk the manual and drop in an auto, it's all part of the aging process like a bald head and failing eyesight, don't worry about it in a few years your be slipping that auto shifter in gear yourself.

The automatic transmissions have come a long way. Nowadays, they even have these CVT's (Continuously Variable Transmissions) that can sense exactly when to shift unlike the old, planetary type gearboxes that sometimes shift back and forth without picking a particular gear. I do agree that an auto is a big advantage in areas (like BKK) where traffic jams are abundant but when it comes to simplicity, vehicle costs and maintenance costs, a stick wins every time.

Edited by Thaiboxer

when it comes to simplicity, vehicle costs and maintenance costs, a stick wins every time.

The same can be said about electric mirrors.

No one buys drives manuals anymore, they are obsolete. I understand some older folks keep their romantic notions about them but they are obsolete.

when it comes to simplicity, vehicle costs and maintenance costs, a stick wins every time.

No one buys drives manuals anymore, they are obsolete. I understand some older folks keep their romantic notions about them but they are obsolete.

I am 38 and buying a manual 2.5 Vigo, so they are obviously not obsolete. Nothing romantic about the decision either, just dont want the wife driving it hahaha

JAF

and this gearbox is so very intelligent ,

On mountain roads it knows exactly when to switch gear

The solution - ditch the wife and marry the gearbox! :o

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Anyway, last time I drove an automatic (last model CRV) it was absolutely TERRIBLE in the mountains. A monkey would have known to shift better. I do suggest you test drive your intended model with automatic in the mountains first, or it will annoy you forever.

I am 38 and buying a manual 2.5 Vigo, so they are obviously not obsolete. Nothing romantic about the decision either, just dont want the wife driving it hahaha

JAF

Ok, disclaimer - manual transmissions are becoming obsolete in passenger vehicles. Pickups are still used as trucks so they are exempted.

Does a new Vios or Yaris or Jazz or City or Camry even offer manual? In Toyotas manuals are found only in stripped down, base, cheapest models.

I think driving manuals is like riding horses - niche market, and I don't think that young and trendy Somchai will want to shift gears in his Jazz himself, he'd probably be appalled at the concept.

Manuals offer better vehicle control and fuel consumption, IF you know how to drive properly. :o

Otherwise be an idiot and let the auto box do the work for you.

Some of the modern versions are very good, but you need a decent size engine as well. >1600cc

NO automatic transmission is smarter than an experienced driver who know how to use his gears to save the brakes.

spoken by a man who knows the rule ??

down in the same gear you went up in

With labor being as cheap as it is here, a lot of car owners who drive autos have an easier time than where I'm from when it comes to repairs. As for buying a used car, I think you'll be less likely to have trouble with a manual gearbox vs and automatic that's been driven into the dirt. This stop and go traffic so common in Bangkok combined with bad driving kills automatic transmissions. Slowing down then jamming on the gas pedal just as the light goes green again wears them out fast. At least with a stick you can choose the right gear to match the rpm's.

NO automatic transmission is smarter than an experienced driver who know how to use his gears to save the brakes.

Sure... because millions of calculations per second can't be as quick or efficient as "Gary" driving his car. Thats like saying there's no use for calculators or computers, a human can't analyze whats going on in the engine in terms of fuel intake, air intake, air temperature etc...

Manuals are built to last, but they can be a major PITA when driving in traffic or having to come to a stop on a hill with the idiot behind you right on your bumper. I drive both manual and auto but much prefer using an automatic. Computerized autos have come a long way from their earlier models and have become more efficient.

My old truck has a non-computerized auto tranny. I've never had any problems with shifting on hills. It's got about 175,000 miles on it now and the torque converter likes to lock and unlock around 35 mph, but it doesn't do that all too often.

Sure... because millions of calculations per second can't be as quick or efficient as "Gary" driving his car. Thats like saying there's no use for calculators or computers, a human can't analyze whats going on in the engine in terms of fuel intake, air intake, air temperature etc...

Going up a mountain, the automatic does a pretty good job shifting up and down to match the grade. Coming down is another matter. The only way to use the engine as a brake is to manually shift down. Maybe there are better automatic transmissions because my 2007 Ford Focus Ghia doesn't know how to shift down by itself. It does have a separate manual mode that works well but you STILL have to shift down manually. My wife makes me crazy because she is on the brake ALL the way down a mountain. I guess it's a good thing it has four wheel disk brakes.

Jamie...you mentioned that you have an old truck with an automatic transmission. Just out of curiosity, what kind of truck is it? Thailand is number two in the world (after the States) for pickup sales and in proportion to the population, trucks are much more common on the roads than in the States. I like the safety, handling and comfort of a car but I also like the durability/longevity of these diesel pickups. The roads here are bad and a tough suspension is needed to handle that constant pounding.

Jamie...you mentioned that you have an old truck with an automatic transmission. Just out of curiosity, what kind of truck is it? Thailand is number two in the world (after the States) for pickup sales and in proportion to the population, trucks are much more common on the roads than in the States. I like the safety, handling and comfort of a car but I also like the durability/longevity of these diesel pickups. The roads here are bad and a tough suspension is needed to handle that constant pounding.

My truck is a 1988 Chevy Silverado, half ton 4x4, gas tbi. It has just over 230,000 miles on it with no major engine problems...just a tranny rebuild since that was the weak point in this model. It was rebuilt with a stronger sun shell and has been good for the past 175,000 miles.

I'm not sure that using the brakes is that bad compared so someone not really knowing when to shift down and ending up using the down-shift as a brake, and down and up-shifting a lot.

Brake pads are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch (or auto-box). :o

Of course for actual steep descends you need to be in a lower gear just because of added control, but it's easy to over-do the gear changes in front of hairpins when you should just really use your brakes for what they were intended.

Edited by chanchao