SURVEY: Sex abuse at temples -- Problem or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Sex abuse at temples -- Problem or not?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past several years, there appears to be an increase in the number of cases of youth being sexually abused by monks.   Do you believe this is a significant problem which is getting worse or a problem that has just been under reported?  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

You, perhaps, forgot a fourth option which likely everyone would (or should) answer: (4)  Why should I answer this poll when, other than a few annual news reports, I have exactly zero knowledge about the issue.

I do not think that there are any, or least very few falangs around who have sufficient knowledge or information on this topic to make this survey worthwhile.

It's simple an opening for the usual crop of religion/Thai bashers to 'have a go'.

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do not think that there are any, or least very few falangs around who have sufficient knowledge or information on this topic to make this survey worthwhile.

It's simple an opening for the usual crop of religion/Thai bashers to 'have a go'.

Yeah right!

Please protect organized religion and a culture of mai bpen rai!

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

You, perhaps, forgot a fourth option which likely everyone would (or should) answer: (4)  Why should I answer this poll when, other than a few annual news reports, I have exactly zero knowledge about the issue.

Posting and polling here at TV depends to a significant extent on participation by a large number of people with a firm grasp on zero knowledge of the subject being discussed.

52 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Usual useless survey, unless a member has:

1. Been abused in a temple

or

2. Aware of any abuse

or 

2. Is an abuser in a temple

how can any "result" have any validity. 

Not sure its meant to have any validity......its all about the clicks

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Not sure its meant to have any validity......its all about the clicks

regards worgeordie

I'm very wary of click bait comments now a days even when it's obvious, got a couple of day on the sin-bin last time I stated the obvious ????

Anywhere where sex is suppressed abuse is a problem. Would be surprised if it wasn't a problem at Buddhist temples too. In the end, munks aren't anything else than human biologically like the rest of us no matter what people believe.

By asking this question, ThaiVisa is promoting, and making a bigger issue out of this than it is, by likening it to the massive problems in the Catholic church.  If indeed this is a problem on the scale that we need a survey, I think the Thai people can sort it out. If you are going to live in Thailand learn about and respect the Buddhist religion. Nothing worse than these foreigners who come here full of their political and religious baggage feeling superior. When basically all they do is drink beer and chase women. 

6 minutes ago, Guitarzan said:

If you are going to live in Thailand learn about and respect the Buddhist religion. 

It's not supposed to be a religion and the Thai version is a custom made version to allow for their quirks. But sure can be entertaining to see them buying amulets and other assorted <deleted>.

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Not for me I don't go there

Yes....but suppose you were checking out some old temple ruins at Ayuttaya and a monk jumped out of the undergrowth and flashed you. Reconciling from this you hurried along when another popped out from behind a statue and tried to bug**r  you ? Would you feel afronted and angry ?

If so , vote : 'yes it is a problem and it's getting worse '

49 minutes ago, Guitarzan said:

By asking this question, ThaiVisa is promoting, and making a bigger issue out of this than it is, by likening it to the massive problems in the Catholic church.  If indeed this is a problem on the scale that we need a survey, I think the Thai people can sort it out. If you are going to live in Thailand learn about and respect the Buddhist religion. Nothing worse than these foreigners who come here full of their political and religious baggage feeling superior. When basically all they do is drink beer and chase women. 

Seems those that this post is in reference to should be included in the beer /women count as well, or are you still wearing rose coloured glasses.

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Usual useless survey, unless a member has:

1. Been abused in a temple

or

2. Aware of any abuse

or 

2. Is an abuser in a temple

how can any "result" have any validity. 

Having an opinion about verified events such as of sexual abuse or any other is  not  valid? Anywhere?

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

It's not supposed to be a religion and the Thai version is a custom made version to allow for their quirks. But sure can be entertaining to see them buying amulets and other assorted <deleted>.

The quintessential farang know it all, making fun of the culture that feeds you.

Really, Theravada Buddhism is made up?  Thats exactly why people like you should stick to drinking yer cheap beer, and chasing as many women as possible, and eave the rest up to others. You type and your ilk give farang a bad name. 

49 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Seems those that this post is in reference to should be included in the beer /women count as well, or are you still wearing rose coloured glasses.

I rarely have seen otherwise. We should all sit at the feet of these bald, fat, beer drinking, tattooed from head to foot, dedicated followers of fashion. 

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well this brings me to the next question: How many falangs go to the temple and what do they do there? I go once a year at new years day, there i stand (no chairs free) and wait for my wife to do the rituals....after that we leave.

Archived