General questions: Flying Arab airlines

Doge

Flying to US many Arab airlines are same price or less than Korean Air my current sky bus.

I'm thinking about changing to an Arab airline but don't know much about them.

My (mis)impressions

Well run airlines, new fleets, pilots good. No idea about the sky waitresses.

Airports new, good, efficient.

Frequent flyer program? Assume about same as the rest.

Do they serve free alcohol on the plane? Do they monitor passengers? KAL does and quite stingy.

Entering airport there is security. I've heard of problems with people having alcohol on their breath.

Are the planes noisy? Children behaved?

Medicine would go below but I've read issues with people and meds. Also non descript pills like paracetamol.

In general I'm not comfortable with the Arab souk style pushing and shoving. Are the flyers more civil?

The Arab women and many men I see in Thailand are huge. I dread thinking I'd be seated next to them.

Would any man expect me to change my seat to a lesser seat so as to not sit next to his chattel?

Can I bring a small open bottle of alcohol (100ml x2) into and thru the airports?

Any strong odors from people that you could say common such as too much perfume, bad breath or body odor?

Food quality? KAL is pretty dire.

KAL is well run, nice airport with cool amenities. The food is dire but the A380 is just a deal breaker for me. 2 toilets serving 100s. Line was sometimes over ten people. Luggage off the carousel is insane with so many pax.

**I don't have a drinking program but get bored out of my mind and find it impossible to sleep.

My experiences has always been great with arab and north african airlines. Especially the ones from the UAE. Good staff, and great food in economy class. They usually serve lamb meat. The waitresses are polite and well trained and usually international ( eastern europe, arab, asian). The airports i had been were pretty good, except for Egypt it was so-so. But its nothing compared to Moscow airport its an nightmare. They do serve free wine and beer and booze on international flights as well.

Egypt airlines is pretty relaxed on laws and rules, was caught smoking once in the toilet. And got only a warning and a good laugh from a friendly Egyptian staff member. I always use different airlines everytime i travel, and to be honest theres not that much difference between all of them on international flights, there seems to be an international standard as well. On most cases there werent many actual arabs on the flight itself. The only flights i do avoid are with Eastern european and russian, as the people are rude, the airports are nightmares. And the food is bad. I prefer Asian and Arab airlines tbh, Austrian was very good as well.

And "Arab" is just too general.

There is good reason that Qatar and Emirates are always in the top 10 of airline ratings.

And there is also good reason that some are simply terrible.

As you want to fly to the US (east coast?) the choices are limited anyway.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:06 AM, Doge said:

Are the planes noisy?

A mate swears for Emirates A380.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:06 AM, Doge said:

Children behaved?

Who can answer such a question? Game of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 3:36 AM, Doge said:

Can I bring a small open bottle of alcohol (100ml x2) into and thru the airports?

Never seen a 100ml bottle of alcohol.

Or do you mean a larger bottle with only 100ml left in it? In that case no chance. They go on size of the bottle, not what's inside

Always fly Emirates or Qatar, the latter is the better of the two imo. If you're having a stopover the Qatar airport is waaaay better than the UAE one too. Booze is no issue, it's still available on the planes and in the airports. I did have a run in with an entitled arab lad that demanded I change seats. (We both moved to an empty row, he wanted to stretch out on the whole row, I just didn't want to sit between 2 fat people) That was easily sorted though, after he had his frankly pathetic tantrum I told him I'd look for another seat when we were at cruising altitude. Found one, no issues.

13 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Never seen a 100ml bottle of alcohol.

Plenty in Germany, 20, 50, 100 ml ("Korn" white spirit, 32%).

And where there is a will, there is a Jägermeister in 20, 35, 100, 350 ml  :biggrin:

On 11/4/2019 at 1:01 PM, Greyhat said:

Always fly Emirates or Qatar, the latter is the better of the two imo. If you're having a stopover the Qatar airport is waaaay better than the UAE one too. Booze is no issue, it's still available on the planes and in the airports.

Just returned to the UK with Qatar for the first time after many trips with Emirates.  It might just be familiarity on my part but I would say the opposite from you in that Emirates are the superior airline overall and Dubai airport beats Doha airport hands down.

Doha is reportedly poor for booze during Ramadan but no problem in Dubai.

Archived