Price Of Non-contract Mobile Phones

khaojao

Hi,

I'm trying to buy a mobile phone (Nokia 3120 or SonyEricsson K750) with built in thai language. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a price list of the phones w/o contract? I'm not fluent in thai so I can't read thai websites selling phones.

Also, would the price differ if I were to purchase it in Bangkok or Chiangmai?

Thank you very much...appreciate it heaps.

thank u all :o

i'm not in thailand, but am trying to buy one for a friend as a gift. i have another question...

between DTAC & AIS, which gives a better deal for prepaid cards? i went to their websites but i can't decipher the thai words in the AIS one...although i think i managed to figure out that the DTAC one offers calls at 1? per min & SMSes at 5? per SMS...am i correct?

thanks again. appreciate it heaps!

If it's for a 'friend' you probably want to go to much a higher spec model, even if your 'friend' can't use 90% of the functions. Otherwise your 'friend' might not consider you to be an exclusive 'friend' for much longer . . . . . These things (highest end mobile phones and associated trinkets) matter to a certain class of 'friend'.

Edited by bendix

If it's for a 'friend' you probably want to go to much a higher spec model, even if your 'friend' can't use 90% of the functions. Otherwise your 'friend' might not consider you to be an exclusive 'friend' for much longer . . . . . These things (highest end mobile phones and associated trinkets) matter to a certain class of 'friend'.

It always amaze me when I see our company driver with a mobile phone three time more expensive than mine ...

Edited by singa-traz

hahaha...my 'friend' has requested for something simple and easy to use. and nah...not exclusive friend, just someone without spare cash to upgrade an old beaten up phone :D

furthermore i dun wanna give the wrong impression by getting too fancy (& expensive) a phone. as for the prepaid card, it's for myself when i go to bangkok in a couple of months...just planning ahead to see which telco is offering the best for local calls & SMSes. do u know if we get to choose the telephone number? or do we just take what is given? do thai mobile shops do mobile phone offers with prepaid card purchases by any chance?

thank you v v much for all ur help & advice :o

i'm not in thailand, but am trying to buy one for a friend as a gift. i have another question...

between DTAC & AIS, which gives a better deal for prepaid cards? i went to their websites but i can't decipher the thai words in the AIS one...although i think i managed to figure out that the DTAC one offers calls at 1? per min & SMSes at 5? per SMS...am i correct?

I believe DTAC is the cheapest prepaid to use

do u get to choose ur phone number for pre-paid phones?

No except for being able to select from the list of available numbers that each vendor will have who sells the sim. I believe 'special' numbers are auctioned, such as one's with nearly all 9s in them.

I believe DTAC is the cheapest prepaid to use

I think it depends on what sort of package you get from the service provider. There are many.

Nice, Bendix.

When my "friend" - being my wife - saw my discarded Japanese mobile phone with 1.2 megapixels cams (2 of them) that I gave to our daughter to play with and trash it - she said - no such a good phone is available in Thailand.

The little girl is using it to take pics, videos and as a remote control for TVs and stereo. She figured out how to do it.

In Japan, when the phone's replacement came after 3 years - the shop said - I could chuck the old one in the bin or keep it or pay some company to dispose it.

Poor Nokia, has to catch up with companies 5-7 years ahead of them.

Back to the topic, I would be getting a new phone for my wife for no real reason other than I need the old one (bought in Thai 6 years ago as top end, 15K baht) to be my contact with Japan with JP SIM card..

The top range phones are 12-15K baht still, no contract, although the wife said some model at 8K would be good. While I have the best in the world, I don't want her to have a cut-down version of it, whatever she choses would be ok.

The prices do not differ - almost identical at any shop in BKK and Pattaya.