Mahidol students invent a healthier fish sauce

snoop1130

Mahidol students invent a healthier fish sauce

By The Nation

800_1bf4295f1f6b6be.jpg

Discovering a “healthier” fish sauce has won nutrition and dietetics majors from Mahidol University’s Public Health Faculty a bronze medal in the Novel Research & Innovation Competition hosted by Universiti Sains Malaysia.

Somchok Kittisakunnam, a lecturer in the Thai school’s Department of Food Science for Health, said fourth-year students claimed the prize with a thesis based on their studies of sa-thon leaves (Millettia leucantha Kurz).

They found a way to produce a sodium-reduced mixed fish sauce from a leaf extract.

High-sodium diets are blamed for several risky health conditions, including heart disease and high blood pressure, which could lead to stroke.

Somchok said the students examined various natural sources of salt before settling on sa-thon, a hardy perennial indigenous to the Thai Northeast that grows in soil with a high saline content. The plant ends up rich in minerals but low in sodium. 

They found that residents of a village in Loei’s Dan Sai district commonly gather sa-thon leaf sprouts and ferment them to produce a seasoning juice that can be used instead of fish sauce. 

The juice is said to contain three times the protein of fish sauce.

The students spent three or four months getting the right mix of sa-thon juice and fish sauce but produced a liquid condiment with 25 per cent less sodium content than the more popular fish sauces in stores. 

Consumers who agreed to try it found it similar in both salinity and flavour. 

The research was supported by the Mae Kam Phan Farmers Group in Dan Sai. 

The sauce is awaiting a Food and Drug Administration registration number but appears likely to become commercially available soon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377706

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-24

That seems encouraging for students to have done this. Once they've registered it, is there another way to protect their idea I wonder?

I just worry about the large companies who might see this as encroaching on their business and might end up producing a similar version.

My last invention was the thread to cut soft butter;
major invention of which The Nation and Thaivisa never spoke;
ouch! I am an inventor  misunderstood ...:sorry:

Have you noticed that Thais, students or not, always invent stuff that has been around for centuries in the West?

Do you know a Thai who has received a Nobel Prize or a Fields Medal?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They found that residents of a village in Loei’s Dan Sai district commonly gather sa-thon leaf sprouts and ferment them to produce a seasoning juice that can be used instead of fish sauce. 

The juice is said to contain three times the protein of fish sauce.

So they didn't really "Invent" it, did they?

Good that they gave credit to the villagers though.

what about NO...

fish sauce, oyster sauce (no oysters in oyster sauce, but MSG, SALT, CHEMICALS), msg itself...

had big fights with ex about this <deleted> she wanted to force feed me and my daughter

super unhealthy

but hey, destroy the brain and it is easier to brainwash / manipulate people

cheap violence in every country :  don't look too far.... SUGAR is a big part ...

low blood sugar episodes makes normal people act VIOLENT / adhd like / psychotic / ...

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The juice is said to contain three times the protein of fish sauce

So they've invented nothing, just taken a known local product and marketed it?

Archived