Watch Fox News? You likely think the U.S. economy is great. MSNBC viewers not so much

webfact

15 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I watch clips from various media outlets because I know all media sources are biased. A person who sticks to one source isn't going to have a good grasp of any given issue. Simple fact.

But let's do the obvious thing and apply MSNBC versus Fox News to the upcoming US presidential election. Historically, Americans vote with their wallets. Clearly, various statistics on the economy, such as GDP and unemployment rates favor Donald Trump.

So obviously, a leftist news source like MSNBC is going to try to tell us how bad the economy is.

Historical data is not including how low the approval rating of this presidency is dealing with.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, Nyezhov said:

The accountant tells me whether the economy is good or not. When the accountant isnt bitchin, its good. When the other accountants aint bitchin, its good.

My wallet tells me

• Like 1

It sure went into turbo drive. Did u forget his election promise?

Did it? Have you seen a chart of the last 10-20 years of deficit spending?

Doesn’t look like it has gone into “turbo” since Trump took office.

But yes, I would rather he wasn’t spending like a leftist.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

I know a time when the deficit wasnt so high. I thought repubs hated high deficit.

Trump is spending money like a drunken sailor. He makes Obama look thrifty. And of course Clinton put him to shame, with his fiscal austerity and nearly balanced budget, something Trump could only dream about, if he had the vision to dream of actually improving the nation and the well being of Americans. 

• Like 2

Both fake news. I can't bear the agendas of either. Fox at least makes me laugh at it's simple minded idiocy and how it panders to old people and oldthink. Fox has pretty girls, legs, tits. My 90 yo parents watch it.  Rachel Maddie's makes my skin crawl. <deleted> I hate the woke agenda. Anything woke I reject in totality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Did it? Have you seen a chart of the last 10-20 years of deficit spending?

Doesn’t look like it has gone into “turbo” since Trump took office.

But yes, I would rather he wasn’t spending like a leftist.

During a depression or bad recession, like the one that began in 2008, you're supposed to be running big deficits in order to stimulate the economy. But when the economy is getting stronger and stronger deficits should be cut back. Which is what happened during the later years of the Obama administration. Under Trump the deficits have surged again.

Federal deficit increases 26% to $984 billion for fiscal 2019, highest in 7 years

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/federal-deficit-increases-26percent-to-984-billion-for-fiscal-2019.html

• Thanks 2

>while unemployment has slightly  decreased lower and middle income earnings are way behind inflationary cost of living.

Who cold have imagined that 40 million immigrants turning up in a country, competing for jobs might decrease wages.

Who knew.

Its almost as if Supply and Demand is a real thing!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

During a depression or bad recession, like the one that began in 2008, you're supposed to be running big deficits in order to stimulate the economy. But when the economy is getting stronger and stronger deficits should be cut back. Which is what happened during the later years of the Obama administration. Under Trump the deficits have surged again.
Federal deficit increases 26% to $984 billion for fiscal 2019, highest in 7 years
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/federal-deficit-increases-26percent-to-984-billion-for-fiscal-2019.html

I agree spending is out of control and needs to be reigned in, and Trump has done a lousy job of it.

What I don’t agree with is that it’s suddenly been turbo-charged.

Where do you think he should start cutting?

Again you are quoting federal government sources, rather than talking to people in the US, as I do every day I am there. It is a completely different story, than the one fabricated by Washington. And yes, wages for lower income people have gone up, By 1%! Wow. They started climbing under Obama, and continued for the past two years. By 1%. Inflation is rampant. The charts are total BS. Talk to anyone in the US. Talk to anyone. Stop citing charts. They are utterly meaningless.

Yes, we all know anecdotal information is much more accurate than government statistics.

How many people, in how many areas and from how many walks of life do you talk to?

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Again you are quoting federal government sources, rather than talking to people in the US, as I do every day I am there. It is a completely different story, than the one fabricated by Washington. And yes, wages for lower income people have gone up, By 1%! Wow. They started climbing under Obama, and continued for the past two years. By 1%. Inflation is rampant. The charts are total BS. Talk to anyone in the US. Talk to anyone. Stop citing charts. They are utterly meaningless.

OK, so you've talked to some people and they just happen to have been tracking wages for lower income people? I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Talk to anyone in the US. Talk to anyone. Stop citing charts. They are utterly meaningless.

OK. lets talk to me? Me, you are a USA dude, are low income folks wages going up? Well I know what the charts say, but from personal experience, we used to pay entry level laborers $10 an hour, now we cant touch one for less then $15. And the big companies are offering $17, but thats fer guys without a felony conviction. The little guys get those. At $15. If you can find them.

I did some consulting for a plant in Chattanooga last year. They had to increase starting wages from about $9 to $14 over about six months.

They were hiring virtually everyone that walked through the door, and half the people would not show up the first day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

OK, so you've talked to some people and they just happen to have been tracking wages for lower income people? I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

Here for once I have to agree with you about the value of anecdotal evidence for SpiderMike.. It's zilch because it's not corroboratable. Neither are the posts of Nyezhov and RideJocky. And even if you could prove they were true, they would still be statistically insignificant.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Near all of the non US economic interpretations of the US suggest that while unemployment has slightly  decreased lower and middle income earnings are way behind inflationary cost of living.

Spin is  spin and  up to those  who wish to   turn in the direction they think correct.

Absolutely correct. The quality of life is dramatically declining for the average American.

24 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

Yes, it’s pretty much the left that are unhappy, but they’re always unhappy.

Thats because philosophically, the left must see all the sins of mankind as structural to the existing order. That of course justifies the left's ultimate goal of the destruction of the existing order, in order to remake society under new, "moral" principles. Principles that the left defines and imposes, although the left itelf is little more than a Vanguard of power hungry elitists, fellow travelers and useful idiots as opposed to a mass movement.  

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats because philosophically, the left must see all the sins of mankind as structural to the existing order. That of course justifies the left's ultimate goal of the destruction of the existing order, in order to remake society under new, "moral" principles. Principles that the left defines and imposes, although the left itelf is little more than a Vanguard of power hungry elitists, fellow travelers and useful idiots as opposed to a mass movement.  

More of the same trite bogeyman claims about the left.

• Like 1