Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the world slumps Thailand empoyment will dive as will people's ability to repay the exceptionally high household debt

That at Why is good now we strong, strong baht, strong employment, strong balance.

and when the banks crash the foreign money will evaporate and Thailand may well find itself up deep sh!t creek without a paddle.

Sorry, I not understand that.

Pollution?

anyway. All you guy sad because your money weak.

the baht is strong, not weak, so I am happy.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Baht bubble must go pop at some  point surely? If incoming foreign investment is purely for the currency while that same is reducing exports at huge damage to the base economy while other SEA economies are picking up the advantage where will it end?

Global recession is still only being avoided  by "manipulation" and it is also possible  could be advanced into  depression. Maybe Thailand is  just being used by the Gnomes?

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Pollution?

"Up the creek with out a paddle" means to have problems I made an addition to the saying to mean to have very big problems,just my sick humor.You remember asian financial crisis?

I am happy I send a lot money when Australian dollar was strong now I just wait until strong again.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT FIGURE FROM  but my next payment due Monday will be around 35,200 well under what your saying and going down despite the bi-annual increases to the pension . The actual 28 day payment is $1,700.80 which the basic amount which all overseas pensioners get .

Actual rate now is36,400 and don’t forget that it is paid 26 times a year, my current sum is 1840 per calendar month =37,949.00 . I use TransferWise and their costs are roughly 12 - 14 dollars .

A few points:

The baht doesn't float freely, its float is managed to remain within a range of other ASEAN currencies and the currencies of its main trading partners.

For the Baht to go pop would take exports and tourism to fall off a cliff, a very tall one.

Conspiracy theorist who propose that BOT manipulates THB (outside of the managed float), may wish to post exmaples of where and how this is done, along with the corresponding changes in foriegn currency reserves.

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

That at Why is good now we strong, strong baht, strong employment, strong balance.

Pollution?

Therein lies the problem, although a strong currency can be an indicator of a strong economy, its not always so...other underlying factors can sway currencies either way. Sterling is at its weakest, yet the economy is at its strongest for decades. Its reported daily that the Thai economy is faltering, tourism down, factory closures and redundancies on a massive scale, household debt at record levels.If a strong baht makes you happy while the whole country is rapidly sleepwalking to disaster and a financial crisis that will shadow the Tom Yum crisis, then bully for you...go spend your baht abroad

31 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But I Thought Norway was SUPER Expensive....400 Baht for a PINT Of Beer ??

260 bath in the pubs.In oslo 180 bath,cheaper then thailand,and its i pint,not a small bottle.

Thailand gets SUPER expencive.

20 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes it's Thailand's turn to enjoy a strong economy as many of the poorer Thais enjoy some of the benefits we in the west have enjoyed for so long.With good management it can continue and with poor management a good chance to make the good times last maybe lost.

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes it's Thailand's turn to enjoy a strong economy as many of the poorer Thais enjoy some of the benefits we in the west have enjoyed for so long.With good management it can continue and with poor management a good chance to make the good times last maybe lost.

The economy is not strong!

1 hour ago, Cork Soaker said:

get real, that's only enough to survive on.

That’s a lot better than the U.K. pension and our is frozen because we choose to live in Thailand . My OAP is £129.50 per week which is around 5,000 baht and that’s after working 38 years . If I had to live on that it would make life very hard .

3 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

2.8 % gdp is pathetic for a 3rd world country, especially one with a location such as it has

Beats the US and the UK though!

BTW third world country is a redundant term, it went out wot the cold war, the term is developing country.

17 minutes ago, saengd said:

Beats the US and the UK though!

BTW third world country is a redundant term, it went out wot the cold war, the term is developing country.

USA $ 62,000 nominal per capita
TH 7500 $ nominal per capita

add 2.8% to both

is TH catching up?

12 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The economy is not strong!

Your statement is true when compared to other stronger economies but when comparing to weaker economies that were stronger then it could be said to be strong but I maybe starting to believe the press releases but the economy seems to be awash with borrowed money giving the appearance of strength,and we all know how important appearances are!

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

What about Bt28.5 by September next year as some are predicting. Should that happen it will make a huge dent in exports and put the country into an economic death dive.

What will Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha self appointed Chairman of the Economic Management Committee do then? 

Like any other PM in the world he is ultimately a slave of the professional traders in fried air.

Read, it is all possible, expected to go, nothing is certain.

What is certain however, is the shrinking of tourism, the shrinking of exports and Thailand getting too expensive, a fact well understood by other countries in Asia by being happy to take over.

26 minutes ago, saengd said:

There's more than a handful of farangs who are really happy with the strong baht, those who brought funds into Thailand, invested here years ago, bought houses/condo's etc and those who have income here.

Yes, especially those who used theyr cash on a house or condo, thinking everything good, we got a lot of cash for our pension. Today that situasion changed dramatically for many, they do not have income to meet the the requirement from immigration, they can not sell the house or condo because nobody want to buy. In the best case scenario they can «give it away». But yes, a handfull is about 5, so i guess you are right. 

25 minutes ago, saengd said:

Explain, quantify it....just saying it isn't strong is like saying a person is beautiful, it's subjective.

Daily press releases. Car manufacturing is down with mass layoffs and shorter working weeks. Rice exports suffering..regardless of TAT arrival stats, tourism is in decline....the list is endless. I can't be bothered searching and posting links but you can quite easily find yourself on both Thai and English news outlets.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Already taken her and hates it and we have been married for nearly 10 yrs and together for over 13 and did not expect the exchange rate to get so bad .

Just checked the exchange rate forecast and the dollar is tipped to go as low as 9.3 by Dec 2024 so at that rate no farang could afford to live here . 

Archived