Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

36 minutes ago, Thian said:

I want to buy a high end stereo....i found out it costs half the thai price in singapore....

And what about the load of staff in the thai shops? I bought eggs yesterday, the staff was all chinese and 7 of them helped me to buy eggs plus milk...the bill even was 100 baht too high but they corrected it when i told them...

Same in Homepro, there's a whole army working there...also in the Watson and shops like that...easy 10+ girls in there to sell cream and toothpaste.

If thailand had a strong economie they wouldn't be working there and doing nothing all day long.

Then you get to the checkout and there's one till open with a woman paying by credit card for a 500 baht purchase and the till roll has just run out.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe people on here!!!  Why???!!!!  Because 20 and 10-years ago they were exactly right in their predictions and made billions!! now they retire super rich because they knew the future.    oh wait, they are not rich and spewed some nonsense years ago and didn't make a dime off anything because they really had no idea how it worked back then??  so now they know exactly who is doomed and when and it's always doom and gloom for the last 30-years as about all markets hit all-time highs for years and years and years and years.....experts.  lol

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

Think yourself lucky my UK pension (after 35 years of contributions) is under $AUS1000 for 28 days with NO inflation increases,

Consider this, I'm an Aussie and I've been married to my Thai wife for 20 years. Firstly I don't get the Aussie pension because they said I broke my residential status. Secondly my AU term deposit rates have nose dived and the Thai baht including the Thai cost of living have both increased dramatically. That's not bitching that's fact. I'm 74 yo now so the fact that I live in the country and I'm  debt free I should be ok until I die and leave my wife something.

8 hours ago, Cadbury said:

What about Bt28.5 by September next year as some are predicting. Should that happen it will make a huge dent in exports and put the country into an economic death dive.

What will Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha self appointed Chairman of the Economic Management Committee do then? 

I am counting on it. I see a crash coming likely the best thing that could happen to Thailand.

Chinese currency also at a 12 year low against the baht. No spending spree from Chinese tourists coming to save things either. Indian rupee at low since 2003. No help there either. Who's going to come here and spend? Ah, yes. People from Uzbekistan, according to another topic.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You shouldn't be. A strong baht means you can buy tanks and helicopters. It also means what Thailand exports becomes more expensive, so your factories producing food, vehicles and appliances are less competitive in world markets. Your income from tourism falls. While it may suit your leaders to have a strong baht, it's not good for ordinary Thais.

So you like have your currency weak right? 

Exports more expensive, but imports cheaper right? 

Everyone thaivisa complain there money is weak. Get the divorce.

So why I be happy if baht weak? 

So.. 

you guys like your money strong? Or not? 

The baht strong because of Thailand success right? 

Tourism income not fall. 

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

So.. 

Tourism income not fall. 

Tourism income not fall?Used to have 5 weeks in Thailand twice a year now it's one week in Thailand and 4 in Vietnam twice a year,I can drink cheaper in London than a lot of the beer bars in pattaya,as for Bangkok a night out there is a second mortgage job.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

So.. 

Tourism income not fall. 

I can't recall saying I wanted my currency weak. Of course I don't, if I am living in Thailand. My government would like it weak, because that strengthens trade competitiveness.

Imports are cheaper yes. However, imports of military hardware and luxury vehicles don't help the average Thai very much. You don't seem to understand that.

Thai success is based on being able to export competitively. A strong baht reduces success. You don't seem to understand that either.

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

So.. 

Tourism income not fall. 

Weaker currency makes exports cheaper and Imports more expensive, hence good for the economy as people will buy domestically produced items rather than imported...strong currency is the opposite...weaker exports due to cost. Supermarkets in Europe were filled with Thai rice with only a tiny portion of rice from Vietnam etc....now its the opposite, rarely see any Thai rice for sale, shelf's full of rice from other countries...its a simple anology to show you how the strong baht is effecting the Thai economy...add to other industries such as car manufacturing and textiles is why a collapse is imminent.

6 hours ago, lungbing said:

Then you get to the checkout and there's one till open with a woman paying by credit card for a 500 baht purchase and the till roll has just run out.

Or at the bakery where a thai woman buys a bag of 4 donuts but wants them packed separately....then 3 employees do that very slowly while 2 other ones are just staring outside the shop and there's a queue of 5 waiting behind me willing to pay.

Then i try to get the attention of those 2 doing nothing but they won't even look at me or the queue....

oh boy.....and yes creditcards take a lot of time in thailand...also the coupons.....plus they have to show something on the phone to the cashier, god knows what....or show the the One card but they didn't bring it and have to tell the phonenumber 3 times before the cashier types it correctly...then they get 5% discount....pfffff....in those cases i put my shoppings on the belt plus a 1000 note and go sitting on that rail checking my phone.

In 2014 the exchange rate of Russian Ruble / USD and effectively against THB jumped twofold in a course of 1 month.

So it's not as bad for a 10% decrease you are having now.

For me as a Russian citizen - I pay double price for everything. I just accept it.

My stable income is about 18.000THB, I rent 6000THB simple room/house, eat fruits, drive bike around and i'm happy.

Russians still come, and will come here during cold winters.

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

The surplus this year will reach $34 billion, he said. Thai economic growth is expected to expand by 3.5 per cent in the fourth quarter, while growth in the third quarter is estimated at 2.7 per cent.

The Thai economy is predicted to expand 2.8 per cent for the full year. 

The US-China trade war and Brexit would largely determine the direction of the global economy. Uncertainty about the trade relationship and the Brexit deal has led many central banks to ease policy in order to shore up economies

Thailand ok. If world slump, we will be ok.

That's where you're wrong.

Global recession will be global. That's means all countries will suffer. As should be obvious, people outside Thailand with less money will visit less, spend less, buy less Thai goods, etc.

All country economies are now linked. That's what globalization has brought to the globe.

Don't become too smug.

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

If there s a current account surplus why, according to another story on this page is the Government borrowing 348 billion to bridge the deficit?

The current account that you are referring to here is not the kind that is available in a bank, so it is not real money that a government can use. It's just an economic indicator. To lower the current account surplus, Thailand needs to invest more locally, but still, that wouldn't reduce the budget deficit. To reduce the budget deficit, the government must increase taxation.

Thailand's budget deficit is low, at 2.5% of GDP, so it doesn't really need to reduce it further.

9 hours ago, Brer said:

I don’t know how you can live on that figure, I guess you just eat lettuce, live alone and don’t go anywhere. 

You must be a lucky one to get that amount, the part pension they give me is substantially less.

I budget and review every month there is no way I could live on 38k baht with my wife and we don’t live a decadent life.

It's possible to live on 38k per month but it's not easy, it's all over for me if it gets much worse here, I go out once a week but that will be 0 times a week if it gets much worse, Paradise is just a distant memory!!

23 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

It's possible to live on 38k per month but it's not easy, it's all over for me if it gets much worse here, I go out once a week but that will be 0 times a week if it gets much worse, Paradise is just a distant memory!!

Are you in Bangkok? Where I live, I couldn't spend 1260 baht a day if I tried. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

So.. 

Tourism income not fall. 

The only export-oriented country in the world
(and international tourism which is also export)
happy with the strong currency.

But pump it up !
Last ex-pats standing will have a harvest 555

1 minute ago, marqus12 said:

The only export-oriented country in the world
(and international tourism which is also export)
happy with the strong currency.

But pump it up !
Last ex-pats standing will have a harvest 555

When a country is governed and controlled by money-obsessed and already-rich people, of course they will do everything in their power to artificially inflate the currency. <deleted> exports and tourism, when they can buy apartments in Paris, New York and London at a 25%+ discount, that's all that matters!

Archived