Thailand's soi dogs and cats: 600,000 to be sterilized in the next year

webfact

As I sit here watching my cats happily playing together, it breaks my heart thinking of some of the wretched creatures you see in Thailand.

Trouble is, many of the soi dogs and feral cats are 'pets' it's just that Thai's have a fundamentally concept of what a 'pet' actually is. Hence cats, dogs roam the streets, breeding constantly.

Spaying and neutering is a really hard concept for Thai's to grasp. 

When I wanted to get our cat spayed I had to strong arm our local vet to do it  

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported that there are reckoned to be 2.6 million stray dogs in Thailand

The Thai populous are happy with stray Soi dogs.. it's cheaper than having security, just throw them the scraps each day.

the only real choice is to put them all down humanely, dog and cat owners need to take responsibility for their animals which many thais do not do, they allow them to roam the streets leaving their messes behind them, in many cases because they do not want to have to pick up their poo themselves or have to feed them each day. Start making owners collar  their pets then if they are found outside their homes the owners are fined. The neighbours across the street used to just open their gate each day so both their dogs could come out and poo all over the street, it wasnt till the police got involved after a fight that they were made to pick up all the poo and to keep their dogs locked  in their yard unless on a leed plus pick up after them. Unfortunately too many thais think the same as they did or simply dont care, euthanizing is the only real answer especially when you see the condition of some of the dogs, our dog stays in our yard unless we are taking her for a walk on her leed, we feed her, play with her, bath her and clean up her mess, this is part of being a animal owner that many ignore here.

It is a step in the right direction. But, a far better step would be to educate the masses and stop convincing them that there is some sort of "Buddhavistic merit" in feeding these creatures. It just perpetuates their misery. Take them in and care for them as pets, or ignore them. Feeding them only extends their incredibly miserable lives, and causes a real hazard, nuisance, and pestilence for society. 

In addition to sterilizing them, culling them on a massive level, would be a positive step.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a step in the right direction. But, a far better step would be to educate the masses and stop convincing them that there is some sort of "Buddhavistic merit" in feeding these creatures. It just perpetuates their misery. Take them in and care for them as pets, or ignore them. Feeding them only extends their incredibly miserable lives, and causes a real hazard, nuisance, and pestilence for society. 

In addition to sterilizing them, culling them on a massive level, would be a positive step.

Everybody has the right to post something stupid.

I prefer to see all these dogs free in the streets than jailed in any house.

And I don't the idiots who are scare by street dogs. No street dogs ever bite me, they only bite idiots.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, plfomylo said:

Everybody has the right to post something stupid.

I prefer to see all these dogs free in the streets than jailed in any house.

And I don't the idiots who are scare by street dogs. No street dogs ever bite me, they only bite idiots.

And you just did. 

Archived