Two Thai women get 16 years each for smuggling drugs into Bali

snoop1130

Two Thai women get 16 years each for smuggling drugs into Bali

By The Nation

800_d776a0cecfe3681.jpg

A Bali airport official reported on October 21 that two Thai women, identified as Kasarin Khamkhao and Sanicha Maneetes, had been arrested for the possession of 958 grams of methamphetamine.

The women – a janitor and the operator of a motorcycle rental shop – would have faced the firing squad in Muslim-majority Indonesia, which has one of the world’s strictest drug laws. However, the court only sentenced them to 16 years in prison each. The two women had swallowed close to a kilogram of methamphetamines.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377741

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-25
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, CLS said:

The quick buck makes people do stupid things.

I totally agree, but these were Thais, from a S.E.Asia nation where there are harsh punishments for drug possession and trafficking. I would have thought they would realize by going to Bali (Indo) they were taking a grave risk. 

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Desperation and greed, combine that with low class education and the end result is a large part of their life spent in a foreign prison.

Thai's really have no understanding of how severe the law can be outside of Thailand and often learn the extremely hard way.

Sad story

Thailand also has severe jail sentences for drug offences 

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

It’s not uncommon for women to be forced into being a drug mule by gangs / pimps. Sometimes their children are taken from them or family members threatened with death.

Without knowing the full story I won’t pass judgment here. 

yes, there can be many facets.  From all the cases and stories I have read over the years, the convicted seem to rarely rat out their accomplices.  Fear of reprisals at home, while in prison, or whatever.  Or sometimes they really kept in the dark about details and don't have real names or contacts to give the authorities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I totally agree, but these were Thais, from a S.E.Asia nation where there are harsh punishments for drug possession and trafficking. I would have thought they would realize by going to Bali (Indo) . 

"they were taking a grave risk"

Actually, it was almost the "grave" but miraculously, they got 16 years instead.

• Haha 1