Trump suspends 40 billion baht worth of duty-free trade for Thailand

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, Enoon said:

He has discovered that a trade war with someone his own size (China) is not "easy to win".

He desperately needs to be seen to be a "winner".

So he does what a bully always does in such a circumstance.

He picks on someone "smaller" than himself instead.......Thailand.

And his moronic fans will cheer him for it.

Because that's what moronic bully worshippers do.

And he will be pleased by their contemptible, deplorable, moronic approval.

He does not give one gram of s*** about the conditions for workers in Thailand.

This is the kind of one-eyed, ad hominem & “moronic’ (to use your own favourite word) discourse that is a blight on rational debate & discussion in the modern era.

Luckily for the rest of us, although vocal and irritating,  thankfully your sort (on either side of the political divide) are inevitably resigned to life on the fringes with no real influence.

What i find hilarious is that the very same Trump haters are always whining how Thailand has high taxes on imported goods and how they wished Thais would be treated same way back in their home country as foreigners are treated here.

Here Trump puts up tariffs, mind you nowhere near Thai insane taxes on imported goods and Trump haters out in full force.

52 minutes ago, BestB said:

What i find hilarious is that the very same Trump haters are always whining how Thailand has high taxes on imported goods and how they wished Thais would be treated same way back in their home country as foreigners are treated here.

Here Trump puts up tariffs, mind you nowhere near Thai insane taxes on imported goods and Trump haters out in full force.

Funny,  I saw something the other day I havent seen in ages...US made shoes (Keens) being sold in Thailand. The price was comparable to other imported Keens.

Havent been shoes made in the US in ages...and being exported too...to Thailand.

Keen makes an Exc Thai daily wear shoe by the way. 

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

When this is so obviously a bullying response to Thailand's glyphosphate toxic chemical ban, I am wondering why you support "Donald" on this?

So you have no problem with American goods being taxed at 100-300%? but have a problem with America raising taxes of which is not even 1/10 of what Thailand applies 

17 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

What kind of protective gear do we wear to protect us from all the toxic chemicals in the food. Just bcoz farmers (urged on by Monsanto) have been poisoning our food supply for decades does not mean it is reasonable, sensible or ethical. It's not the only way nor the best way. Most Americans are totally unaware of the 6,000-7,000 sq mile "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico at the Mississippi delta as a result the runoff from toxic chemicals used by all the farmers in the Mississippi river water shed. https://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/index.html

Maybe you should read up a bit more about that dead zone. Growing up in Corpus Christi we heard about it every year. It happens for a few weeks every summer and has less to do with the toxic chemicals and more to do with the nutrient run off from the soil. It raises the levels of phosphorous and nitrogen which makes the water unbreathable for aquatic animals. Not saying this is a good thing but have your facts straight when you are going to use something to back an argument. 

1 hour ago, woogoo said:

Maybe you should read up a bit more about that dead zone. Growing up in Corpus Christi we heard about it every year. It happens for a few weeks every summer and has less to do with the toxic chemicals and more to do with the nutrient run off from the soil. It raises the levels of phosphorous and nitrogen which makes the water unbreathable for aquatic animals. Not saying this is a good thing but have your facts straight when you are going to use something to back an argument. 

Would there be any toxic chemicals in those nutrient runoffs??

What chemical fertilizers are used there ? T

he effects of chemical fertilizers on the Great Barrier Reef from the sugar cane and banana plantations bordering the shore line have been being researched about their detriment to the environment.

Which chemical companies own the  fertilizers and the "weed eradication chemical plants?

“...because the country had not taken steps to “afford workers in Thailand internationally recognized worker rights.” Trump said.  Really? Words from  one of the biggest con artists in the business world who don’ pay his bills and hired illegal workers for his businesses. The guy wouldn’t be able to locate Thailand on a map.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, zhounan said:

Globalization should finish. 

There is no globalization. It is America out to control the world even more than it already does. Human rights, particularly for migrant workers in the US is so great. Do as we say not as we do, yet again!!!

On 10/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, Tayaout said:

I was simply clarifying the common misconception that glyphosate cannot be found in food because it is "only an herbicide". 

Tayaout, when herbicides are sprayed on the soybean, wheat or cornfields, then people eat the food from those crops, how do you suppose they can avoid consuming the herbicide residue?

It's not like the herbicides can be sprayed only on the weeds.

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:
18 hours ago, atyclb said:

political correctness, unanimity of thought and unanimity of speech can lead to a 1984 like state

then you and me both are going to hell cause i dont have a personal relationship with jesus either

Hard to have a personal relationship with a body crucified couple of thousand years ago. Blessed are the cheese makers

the implied relationship is with the spirituality set before from the teachings. same for buddhism, buddga has been dead a long time also , etc etc.

while i may not agree with religious beliefs i have no animosity towards those who do. many are friends

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Thai government disagrees with you.

They thank you for your unpaid work and promise to renew your special Cheerleading Visa ????

It's called diplomacy. You really expect them to come out and say "the US foot stamping is because we banned their chemicals"?   

You really don't know how the world works do you.  You think the timing is a coincidence?

And why the "cheerleading" comment?  I commented on US policy, I am certainly not a US cheerleader.  

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

When this is so obviously a bullying response to Thailand's glyphosphate toxic chemical ban, I am wondering why you support "Donald" on this?

Does this mean the US soybeans and other crops are full of glyphosphate?

On 10/27/2019 at 10:02 AM, harada said:

I can't see why Thailand would be importing anything that is treated with glyphosate unless they are importing weeds, it's a herbicide, I've been using it on my farm for 30years, if you wear the correct protective gear it's no problem, this ban will just make many farmers lives even harder than they are now.

harada, during your 30 years of using this toxic chemical on your farm (shame on you, by the way), how in the holy hale did you manage to spray it only on the weeds and none on the crops. Having grown up on a farm, my intuition tells me that since glyphosate is applied pre-harvest, it would be an impossible feat to spray it only on the weeds.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, Enzian said:

Bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo that costs 5 Euro in a supermarket in Italy costs 700 baht here. Is that going to change?

168 baht in Italy and 700 in thailand. more than 400% higher. even factoring 90% duty and shipping someone is still marking it up.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, harada said:

I can't see why Thailand would be importing anything that is treated with glyphosate unless they are importing weeds, it's a herbicide, I've been using it on my farm for 30years, if you wear the correct protective gear it's no problem, this ban will just make many farmers lives even harder than they are now.

Ask the folks who are infertile...and there are loads of them.

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I have no idea what gets sprayed on crops in the US.  I was commenting that Thailand bans three chemicals, the US asks them not to ban glyphosphate because it is harmful to US companies and their financial interests, Thailand sticks by the bans, the next day the orange man essentially puts sanctions on Thai exports, mainly food exports. 

Coincidence?  Sure, because we all know the Trump administration doesn't ask hastily.

Thai oranges get injected with medicines, so if you drink that you might get allergic reactions from it or just common medicines won't work on you anymore.

I guess the US also uses loads of glyphosphate on their crops and they can't sell it anymore if it's banned...that declares trumps reaction to me.

11 minutes ago, atyclb said:

168 baht in Italy and 700 in thailand. more than 400% higher. even factoring 90% duty and shipping someone is still marking it up.

In Italy i saw real parmezano reggiano cheese in the supermarket, 1 kg blocks for 9 euro. I bet that costs 5 times more in thailand.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, Yinn said:

And more who are anti thai.

Who invented the fuel motor?? Who invented electricity? Who invented internet? Who invented mobile phones? Who invented lightbulbs?? 

When will the Thai start paying royalties for those inventions to the inventors???? And yup, they're farang.

11 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

If anti Thai you mean anti immorality, anti slavery and against filthy, degenerate, inhumane behaviour then you are right.

Hopefully the VAST majority on this forum are like minded.

You are entitled to your opinion naturally, but you are on a Thai forum with specific rules that you agreed to abide by, so please be careful how you express those opinions.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

18 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you have issues.

You invented none of those things, so not sure why you think it should make you feel superior.  

Well, tell me i'm wrong then! Who invented them? Were they Thai?

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Well, tell me i'm wrong then! Who invented them? Were they Thai?

Wow, it's like being in the playground "my dad's bigger than your dad".

No, they weren't invented by Thais, and nobody claimed they were.  What on earth is the point you are trying to make?  I really have no idea where you are coming from on this totally random outburst about electricity, light bulbs, mobile phones and the internet.  Maybe you need a nice lie down.

Who invented sofas?

On 10/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, weegee said:

This all smells like the UN to me....Trump isn't interested in workers wages in Thailand....

He didn't mention wages - he said 'internationally recognised workers rights'. The Thai fishing industry is like a slave trade.

Archived