Video: "My flip flops got wedged under the brake pedal" - driver offers pathetic excuse

rooster59

In Thai news it was reported that the driver is under police watch because he mentioned suicide. A bit harsh but whatever happened in his car, first he should come out with the truth and not some pathetic excuse. And secondly, he needs to be accept his fault, punished, locked up for a while and not be able to drive a car for some time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CLW said:

Barefoot probably better than with slippers / flip flops but still...

According to the Driving Standards Agency – the body that regulates the UK driving test – “suitable shoes are particularly important behind the wheel. We would not recommend driving barefoot because you don’t have the same braking force with bare feet as you do with shoes on.”

I have to drive bare foot as my thongs hit the brake pedal when I push the clutch in.

4352090486_0ef53bbb83_b.jpg

• Haha 2

Barefoot probably better than with slippers / flip flops but still...

According to the Driving Standards Agency – the body that regulates the UK driving test – “suitable shoes are particularly important behind the wheel. We would not recommend driving barefoot because you don’t have the same braking force with bare feet as you do with shoes on.”

Loads of ladies in the west drive barefoot as they remove their (high) heels to drive...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

concerning compensation payments to the victims from public funds.

So the driver caused the accident,and will not have to pay compensation

to the victims, as they are going to be paid by the taxpayer....that's all wrong to me.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police said whatever the make of flip-flops it was hard to imagine how they could have got wedged under the brake pedal as the driver claimed

According to the video yesterday, the other flip flop must have been superglued to the gas pedal as well as he accidentally dropped 100 kg solid lead on the same foot.

• Like 1

to the victims, as they are going to be paid by the taxpayer....that's all wrong to me.
regards worgeordie
Not 100% sure about this process but I've heard that usually the government will ask the insurance company to pay the money back.
This public fund and compensation is for the case the accident causing party has no or insufficient insurance.

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

If the parents do not have to worry about the hospital bills and providing replacement transport then no matter where the support originates surely a good thing

If I were the student's daddy/mom/friend who's seriously injured, I'd stick his Flip Flops right there where the sun doesn't shine. 

The sad part is that we have to deal with such drivers daily and think for them.

But the government doesn't understand that drivers need training and tests before they let them drive any vehicle.

Not the fishy license tests where colorblind can repeat to guess the color until they have the right one, and the brake reaction is at the right time. 

This accident could have killed all of them on their bikes at a place where nobody would even think about an airborne car heading towards them. 

If the driver is a bit higher in the Thai subculture, nothing will happen to him. 

• Like 2

In Thai news it was reported that the driver is under police watch because he mentioned suicide. A bit harsh but whatever happened in his car, first he should come out with the truth and not some pathetic excuse. And secondly, he needs to be accept his fault, punished, locked up for a while and not be able to drive a car for some time.

He'll get his mum to go with him to the cop shop.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Yes, I must say that wearing flip flops while driving is a very bad idea - I would go with either shoes of barefoot. Flip flops can slip, and in an emergency, your foot could easily slip off the brake, or even the clutch if driving a manual.

I think the point that one cannot exert the same braking force if driving barefoot is a bit misleading - maybe on VERY old vehicles that have no power assisted braking, but virtually every car has power brakes now. The only issue being I suppose, if the engine fails or the power assist fails - but then it is almost impossible to stop a car without power assist if it has power brakes fitted.

• Like 1

It was the 'flip-flops' fault !!!

Driving with poor footwear could lead to a fine of up to £5000 in the UK.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/997349/driving-law-flip-flops-footwear-fine-penalty-points-ban

Something similar would make sense here in Thailand - then they can't make up these stupid excuses.

Personally - I think there should be a fairly hefty fine for insulting the intelligence of the general public with some of the galactically idiotic excuses we regularly hear of.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

would you care to enlighten us, so we can understand how it can happen?

It happens if the object (in some cases a sandal or shoe, or water bottle) slides behind the brake pedal, but still has a point sticking out, that is in front of the accelerator. 

So the driver presses the brake pedal, but the object (sandal/shoe/water bottle) blocks that, and the piece of it that has come in front of the accelerator instead pushes that pedal down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1