Transport Minister considering equipping vehicles with GPS during manufacture

rooster59

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Considering that Thailand has the highest road fatality rate in Asean and the ninth-highest in the world, losing 32.7 people per 100,000, something drastic needs to be done.

These are some of the worst drivers (across the whole spectrum) I have seen and whilst testing and education are the 100% priority, the results will not be seen for a generation at least. 

I say do whatever needs to be done, if this saves one life then all the better. Enough of the Thai bashing, at least he is coming up with ideas.

Have you been drinking or smoking something dodgy ? ???? 

I am not entirely against the idea, the excuse this is a violation of privacy rights is no longer valid because already with the current CCTV network and the technology to trace your phone, big brother can watch you any time.

As one poster already mentioned, no need for separate system, the technology is already present in your phone. Just need an app and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Never heard such tosh in all my days, as many here have already commented, GPS is only any use 'after' the event, a far better idea in my book would be to fit all motor cycles with either a very loud annoying beeper connected to the indicators or a mild electrical shock to remind the numb nuts to turn off their indicators, I get so annoyed with the idiots that drive for miles indicating this way or that and continuing straight, and then they get annoyed when someone pulls out of a side turning because they were indicating a turn, Muppets.

The Minister is an idiot. It is a police matter, under the Ministry of Interior and not under the guidance of the Transport Minister who thinks he is the next best thing after sliced bread. So much to the Chidchob family input. 

They cannot get bikes of the pavements and introduce fines - which did not work. Now they want to remove jackets for three months. The only way is to confiscate the bike for a first-time offender for a week, second-time offender for a month; daily storage fee B 100 plus B 500 for transporting the bike to a yard. Trust me, the pavements are there for pedestrians again. 

Unless Chidchob or one of his cronies have shares in a GPS-tracking company he is just stirring up manure again; look at the planet's biggest car park - the road network of Bangkok. 

And, should against popular belief Chidchob get his will, then talk to the boys who fiddle around with all those taxi metres running faster, not at all or only on the 10 and 100 Baht wheel - they, for sure, have some ideas up their sleeves once it comes to GPS .......

Ha ha ha, next please! 

Please explain how this, by itself, can save a life?
And, if it can, why is it that no other country has seen fit to introduce this?
It is/ would be part of the package of steps to improve road safety and doesnt have to be by itself. Maybe they can have a first and others follow, who knows?
A meaningful and comprehensive driving test would be a good step, but if you raise the standard too high in a short time, you'll probably just end up with more who dont pass a test at all. Although, with the number of checkpoints that may be difficult.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone explain how a gps unit is going to reduce accidents? The only thing it is going to do is tell you how fast the vehicle was going at the time of the accident!
If is used to help prosecute following accidents, it could have deterrent effect. It would need enforcement and publicity, which is where it could fall down.
Also, if it's used with AI it could help in redesigning problem junctions.
Besides giving speed, it could/ would also give the track and braking undertaken.
Not saying its feasible, but it is how it could work in an ideal Orwellian world.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand would be the world’s first country to mandate the fitting of GPS trackers in the interests of road safety.

Of course they would.  The competition for the silliest idea only happens within Thai borders, not international.

Roll on April 1st to read some real good ideas.

8 hours ago, thaiwally said:

It might not stop accidents, but it would be a good little earner for someone.....just think about it....40 million cars and how many motorbikes? Makes sense to me!

I am unable to comprehend the scale, cost and operating budget required to set up and run the monitoring system!

Actually, thinking about it, the operating budget is quite possibly the major attraction!

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The German economy was bad in the 30s...People said to Hitler do what ever needs to be done....Well... At least he was doing something....

Wow, if you think they need to be likened to hitler then I think you need to get away from Thailand

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Transport Minister considering equipping vehicles with GPS during manufacture

After this "consideration" the minister should be immidiately sacked and banned from all political or executive positions because he proved having a severe problem with understanding reality

1 hour ago, Blue bruce said:

Please someone tell me how installing a gps in your vehicle will improve road safety. Please i can't figure it out LOL

Every single measure I've seen here is for rhetorical purposes, to demonstrate something that doesn't exist, or to show a very superficial sign of the government doing some kind of job.

Remember the TV showing police stopping a truck with black smoke coming out of the back? I never saw that happen any other time.

It's completely fake.

I'd suggest installing GPS in all vehicles if I were in a position to skim a percentage from the import duties - or set up the contract and build a factory to put them together and pack them up for the manufacturers.

Until they actually create some kind of real traffic police (actually they HAVE 'traffic police') and send them out to do some kind of real traffic policing (beyond simply observing rules - actually behaving as if they wish to help folks to improve) then I won't ever take them seriously.

Archived