Canadian Pardon needed for Non-Imm O-A Visa?

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In Canada the honorary consulates can still issue a non-o visa for being 50 or over. The embassy in DC took that away from them in the states a few years.

Ubonjoe you're right for the issue,but they do ask for the RCMP clearance...

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Off topic really, the OP specifically stated about NOT having to leave each 90 days.

no, he was still saying he had to provide data and information every 90 days when he filed his 90 day report.  So what if he doesn't file 90 day reports because he leaves the country right before the 90 day period, and returns shortly thereafter?  Will immigration at some point be concerned that they don't see his proof of income

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For a non-o visa? I am not aware of any honorary consulate asking for police clearance to get one.

I've just done it in Montreal 2 weeks ago and they ask me for it,i was surprise and it delay the delevery of the visa it was the first time they ask me for a police clearance...

Edited by Bigstef
  • Like 1

I'm confused here and have been considerng the same thing although I'm american and my legal issues involved drugs over 35 years ago when I was young and stupid, nothing since. Pardons in america don't erase any criminal convictions so mine would all show even though I had my rights reinstated from the government.

In USA the non O visa is for visiting thai family or doing charity or non profit work. Since I'm not married or have a family in thailand How would I go about applying in this type of visa? Is it possible?   Is there a different type of visa that would work better? I have no interest in applying for an Elite type Visa, just to throw that out here

I've traveled to thailand about 20 times in the last 10 to 15 years but always for the 30 tourist visa issue upon arrival, never tried to extend anything nor ever had any overstay or trouble getting into thailand. I have plenty of money to cover either the 800K or monthly income requirements. I have been trying to learn all this stuff but it's very confusing trying to understand what's written on thai embassy site with most of the suggestions on here. Any advise would be helpful for me. 

On 10/27/2019 at 10:59 PM, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps getting a single entry non-o visa and then applying for a one year extension of stay at immigration here.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

hi  for clarification .. non 0 visa is marriage or volunteer https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/ 

which has different $$ requirements ..   of course this is for me from usa not canada .. and the link is for the first application and not an extension .. all possible changes

UJ if you get a moment could u double check me .. thai wife 1 year all other docs and $ in order  sev or mev undecided   thanks

19 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I'm confused here and have been considerng the same thing although I'm american and my legal issues involved drugs over 35 years ago when I was young and stupid, nothing since. Pardons in america don't erase any criminal convictions so mine would all show even though I had my rights reinstated from the government.

In USA the non O visa is for visiting thai family or doing charity or non profit work. Since I'm not married or have a family in thailand How would I go about applying in this type of visa? Is it possible?   Is there a different type of visa that would work better? I have no interest in applying for an Elite type Visa, just to throw that out here

I've traveled to thailand about 20 times in the last 10 to 15 years but always for the 30 tourist visa issue upon arrival, never tried to extend anything nor ever had any overstay or trouble getting into thailand. I have plenty of money to cover either the 800K or monthly income requirements. I have been trying to learn all this stuff but it's very confusing trying to understand what's written on thai embassy site with most of the suggestions on here. Any advise would be helpful for me. 

hi in usa you can have your charges expunged   setup with court or lawyer .. and as for my criminal record it is from 1989 and 99% went away but all mine was lowered to  misdemeanor status  .. luck to ya   and you have the same info as me for non 0 family visa

Mine are misdemeanor charges but still show or did as of last year. Expunngement is expensive in Washing DC area and a bit lengthy of a process the last I checked.  I'd rather use a visa type where I don't have to do that but would be prepared to if absolutely necessary. I'm not interested in playing games with visas and excessive border runs as the hand writting is on the wall with the new computer system couple with the fingerprinting it's just a matter of time for those loops to close. i'd rather try to do as close to correctly as possible.  

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

For you, if you want to settle in Thailand, easiest is

1. Travel to Thailand on a tourist visa (giving you 60 days on entry).
  2. Find a bank allowing you to open an account. As an American, this is probably going to be the hardest part of the process. If you have a friend who is a longstanding customer of the bank with a healthy deposit, it may help visiting the branch with your friend.
  3. Transfer at least 800,000 baht equivalent to the new account, planning to leave it there as dead money.
  4. As soon as the money arrives in the account, get the transaction slip from the bank that proves the money came from abroad, and visit immigration to apply for a "conversion" to a Non Immigrant entry with the intention to extend on the basis of retirement. This will be taken under consideration, and you will need to return to Immigration about 15 days later to get the appropriate stamps, which fundamentally gives you a fresh 90-day permission to stay in Thailand which is exactly the same as you would have had you managed to get a Non O visa before entering.
  5. About a month before expiry of the 90-day permission to stay, visit Immigration yet again to get a one-year extension of your permission to stay.

After that, it is all easy. If you want to leave Thailand and return, ensure you have a reentry permit (available at major airports or your local immigration office). If you stay more than 90 consecutive days in Thailand, you must make a 90-day report (usually possible online in a few minutes). Near the end of the one-year extension, check to see what new requirements there might be to extend for another year.

3 hours ago, ifmu said:

hi  for clarification .. non 0 visa is marriage or volunteer https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/ 

which has different $$ requirements ..   of course this is for me from usa not canada .. and the link is for the first application and not an extension .. all possible changes

UJ if you get a moment could u double check me .. thai wife 1 year all other docs and $ in order  sev or mev undecided   thanks

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

The $700 requirement is the equivalent of 20k baht required for all visa applications. You would be the only one applying for the visa so the $1500 amount shown for family would not apply.

To apply for the visa you would need copies of your marriage certificate. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.