Woman expat to be charged for tour van collision in Rawai

webfact

Woman expat to be charged for tour van collision in Rawai

The Phuket News

1572264552_1-org.jpg

The woman expat will be charged for the accident, said Capt Jarat Lempan of the Chalong Police. Photo: Chalong Municipality

PHUKET: A woman expat is to be charged with reckless driving causing injury and damage to property after she pulled out of a side street in Rawai leading to a van carrying tourists ramming into the side of her car.

The accident occurred in front of a small guesthouse on Wiset Rd, about 200 metres north of the main Rawai market, at about 11:30am, Chalong Municipality rescue workers told The Phuket News.

One foreign woman travelling in the passenger van suffered injuries to her right shoulder, while the other woman driving the car also suffered minor injuries, rescue workers reported.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-expat-to-be-charged-for-tour-van-collision-in-rawai-73399.php#UleUXp8PJgMhZ8pK.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-10-29

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive along that road at least twice a day it happens often people just pull out the worst is they come from the opposite side of the road where the U-turns are especially at night them markets attract a lot of traffic

From the original story:

"However, he added, “I don’t know the details of the accident or the tourists’ nationality and name yet. I am looking at questioning both foreign women tomorrow,” he added.

Regardless, Capt Jarat confirmed that “Ms Helen” will be charged for the accident. "

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-expat-to-be-charged-for-tour-van-collision-in-rawai-73399.php#FsOm4r9KjXry9oOZ.99

That all seems a bit back to front.

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

If this had been a Thai driver there would be loads of anti Thai racist comments.

hold on, I can come up with something for both sides:

"what was she thinking, driving like a Thai ???"

11 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Surely this is just a matter for the insurance companies to settle ?

Probably yes. In accidents it is sop to charge a guilty part, fine probably 1,000 Baht, can be negotiated down to 500.

Nothing new or special here, just SOP.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

If This was a Thai driver this would not be news would it?! It would not be in the paper or the online feeds. 

It it was a Thai driver it would be in the Thai language news. The driver was not Thai, so in the not Thai language news.

58 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It it was a Thai driver it would be in the Thai language news. The driver was not Thai, so in the not Thai language news.

Deflection. It would be in the thai news as one of the myriad of accidents every day, and no one would bother to look twice if at all, because little gore and no fight broke out. As for your post, perhaps a new spin, instead of the same tired out old deflections?! 

Cheers

There's quite a few accidents like this daily, so besides this being an expat driver, why is this news?  Why didn't the van slow down and avoid hitting the car?  if he wasn't speeding, surely he would have been watching and able to avoid the collision.

I have idiots pull out in front of me all the time, but by driving proper speeds and paying attention, accidents are diverted on a daily basis.

looking at the damage the expat was at fault, why it isnt just an insurance job as these accidents usually are is beyond me and seems like over kill. If they are charging the driver then they should check if the injured woman in the van was wearing a seat belt, if not more charges should be laid on the passengers as well as the van driver otherwise this is just looks like a huge set up against expats, can we expect to see all the thais that cause accidents to be charged now as well

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Watching Thai TV News everyday, this is a common occurrence.

"WOMAN EXPAT" seems to be the focus of the article.

Wonder how many Thais are charged for the same infraction?   ???? 

The phrase "woman expat" was used only once in the body of the report, how do you construe that as being "the focus of the article?

Why would you suggest that a Thai driver in a similar incident wouldn't be charged?

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

The only time Ive seen those mini bus vans NOT speeding was in red traffic lights.

i would like to guess this one was speeding too.

Well, if you can see oncoming traffic, you should let them pass before you enter the 'main road', no matter what speed they're doing.

22 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

There's quite a few accidents like this daily, so besides this being an expat driver, why is this news?  Why didn't the van slow down and avoid hitting the car?  if he wasn't speeding, surely he would have been watching and able to avoid the collision.

I have idiots pull out in front of me all the time, but by driving proper speeds and paying attention, accidents are diverted on a daily basis.

Another faultless farang driver with perfect driving skills.  What a surprise.

"...but by driving proper speeds and paying attention, accidents are diverted on a daily basis".

Where do you "divert" your accidents to; to some other road user?

Using your logic, there should be no accidents anywhere as they would all be avoided if everyone could drive as well as you claim you can. 

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Another faultless farang driver with perfect driving skills.  What a surprise.

"...but by driving proper speeds and paying attention, accidents are diverted on a daily basis".

Where do you "divert" your accidents to; to some other road user?

Using your logic, there should be no accidents anywhere as they would all be avoided if everyone could drive as well as you claim you can. 

25 years driving here, not a single accident.  That's perfect, you're right!

Archived