Wealthy woman stuffed in a fridge: Two men made 1.2 million baht in ATM withdrawals

webfact

Wealthy woman stuffed in a fridge: Two men made 1.2 million baht in ATM withdrawals

5pm.jpg

Thai caption: On the trail of a murderer

Sanook reported that there were plenty of developments in the case of the murder of a 58 year old woman from Bang Plee, Samut Prakarn. 

Wannee - a well known and rich  benefactor of a local temple and Chiang Mai university - was found stuffed in a fridge and encased in cement in premises near the temple of Sri Jom Thong in Jom Thong district of Chiang Mai. 

The body was discovered at the weekend by her brother after she had been out of contact for a couple of weeks.

Investigators believe that two men were responsible. They stole the victim's BMW and drove it right across the north of Thailand making ATM withdrawals of 100,000 to 200,000 baht a time.

They have managed to steal 1.2 million baht. 

They first went to Hot district, then Chiang Rai, then Lampang before heading back to Chiang Mai. 

The latest sighting was in the area of Chiang Mai University.

Senior police have held meetings to hurry the high profile case along. 

Sanook said that Wannee had given the Sri Jom Thong temple a 2 million baht merit making donation and bought them an expensive minivan. 

She is also known to have paid for a 10 million baht medical unit at Chiang Mai University and given to other temples. 

Sanook speculated that her philanthropy had probably attracted the attention of thieves. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-29

22 minutes ago, legend49 said:

I always thought ATM withdrawals were 10,000 baht max at one time? So how they pulling 10 times that?

Wrong in all dimensions for Thai ATM cards.

Single withdraws can be 20, 25, 30k and nowadays even more depending on machine.

Up to three withdrawals per day is standard.

Daily limit can be arranged individually. but can be a six digit figure.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

making ATM withdrawals of 100,000 to 200,000 baht a time.

This could be one of the new magic machines at dedicated SCB sites (up to 200k per withdrawal).

Whether it actually can be done still depends on set limits.

19 minutes ago, legend49 said:

I always thought ATM withdrawals were 10,000 baht max at one time? So how they pulling 10 times that?

My BKK bank is max 50 000 per day 2 x 25000 i thought that was max  Ah well lucky i am not a temple benefactor

How very sad. A good women. Very sad. This should be a wake up call to every Farang because this sort of thing is not rare. This type of crime has been carried out over a couple of 100k Baht so beware because use are all marked as having up to 800k in the bank and this type of criminal have a 50/50 chance of getting it but a guaranteed payout of 400k. Beware and take care. 

12 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

How very sad. A good women. Very sad. This should be a wake up call to every Farang because this sort of thing is not rare. This type of crime has been carried out over a couple of 100k Baht so beware because use are all marked as having up to 800k in the bank and this type of criminal have a 50/50 chance of getting it but a guaranteed payout of 400k. Beware and take care. 

Don,t know about everyone else, but my ATM card was required by the bank to be tied to a 200,000 Fixed Deposit account, and any transactions in excess of that were denied.

23 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Any crook thinking all farang have 800k in the bank is going to get seriously disappointed.

Should have good CCTV footage from petrol stations and ATM machines.    Poor woman.  Rest in peace.  I really feel for her.  They probably had to force the ATM code out of her  while the cement cured. 

10 hours ago, legend49 said:

The ATM withdrawal limits are set with the bank. I believe my Bangkok account is 100,000. But it can be higher. The killer has been able to withdraw 40 million Baht so far.

Archived