Study shows Thailand ranks only 60th in Global LGBT Acceptance

Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Scott said:

That was Thailand and started in 1997 and was still and issue up to the present.  

Strangely it does not surprise me

Tolerance in some situations, but not acceptance.

What a terrible situation to have had to face.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, CNXexpat said:

I saw ladyboys, girls with tomboys as friend and gay men working everywhere, including the immigration office in Chiang Mai, fully respected from everybody. 

I think you may be confusing treating someone politely by not showing  open disdain publicly, with respecting another person. Thai LGBTQs generally are looked down upon by society, their families, their colleagues, and others, and the ones who do seem to fit into mainstream society are really not accepted as they would if they were straight. Thailand's very Middle Ages in nearly every social and cultural way of thinking, minus the Facebook. I'm sorry to tell you you're not correct on this one, no disrespect intended. 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, spidermike007 said:

This ranking is pure nonsense, and quite obviously does not take into account local culture. I have never seen a country or a society that is more accepting of ladyboys (transexuals please) than Thailand. In the US people would be aghast if they walked into a government office or department story and were helped by a transexual. Here, it is no big deal at all. I know families where the young boy of 9 is already wearing dresses. Not a big deal. In the US? Forget about it. There is only a relatively small percentage of the population that is accepting of this kind of thing in the US. Same applies to gay and lesbian culture. Especially those who call themselves "religious". They are the least tolerant. 

The fact that gay marriage isn't legal puts Thailand probably 25 places down the list. This is a very important aspect of acceptance. When a country denies civil rights to gay people it deserves its rating.

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The fact that gay marriage isn't legal puts Thailand probably 25 places down the list. This is a very important aspect of acceptance. When a country denies civil rights to gay people it deserves its rating.

I think that, when combined with the easy acceptance of gays amongst the Isaan peasants (which I experience on a daily basis), this suggests a strong cultural divide between the peasants on one hand and, on the other, the elites who have inherited the strong cultural influence of Britain & Germany in the late C19th & early C20th.

We see the same phenomenon in post-colonial Africa (Uganda or Kenya, for instance). To be accepted, the colonized elites (and even those such as the Thais who were 'only' culturally colonized) had to conform to the ethical strictures of the then colonizers. That influence - We have to be BETTER than the falangs to be accepted as equals - remains today.

3 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I think that, when combined with the easy acceptance of gays amongst the Isaan peasants (which I experience on a daily basis), this suggests a strong cultural divide between the peasants on one hand and, on the other, the elites who have inherited the strong cultural influence of Britain & Germany in the late C19th & early C20th.

We see the same phenomenon in post-colonial Africa (Uganda or Kenya, for instance). To be accepted, the colonized elites (and even those such as the Thais who were 'only' culturally colonized) had to conform to the ethical strictures of the then colonizers. That influence - We have to be BETTER than the falangs to be accepted as equals - remains today.

what tosh.  Don't blame the Brits and Germans for inbred racism and discrimination of minorities in former colonies, the locals do fine all by themselves, even if they have never been colonised, as indeed Thailand (Siam) never was. This kind of violent discrimination was common among 'tribes' the world over, throughout history.  

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what tosh.  Don't blame the Brits and Germans for inbred racism and discrimination of minorities in former colonies, the locals do fine all by themselves, even if they have never been colonised, as indeed Thailand (Siam) never was. This kind of violent discrimination was common among 'tribes' the world over, throughout history.  

Which fails to explain why some ('lower') sections of Thai society are quite open & accepting on the subject, while others ('higher') are not.

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Which fails to explain why some ('lower') sections of Thai society are quite open & accepting on the subject, while others ('higher') are not.

I imagine that it's mainly because they have a close family member in that group.   Most families seem to have at least one such. And I'm not so sure that there is a divide between low and high, as you put it.  I have never detected such a divide. The Thais seem quite accepting of all kinds of differences. 

21 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I imagine that it's mainly because they have a close family member in that group.   Most families seem to have at least one such. And I'm not so sure that there is a divide between low and high, as you put it.  I have never detected such a divide. The Thais seem quite accepting of all kinds of differences. 

So why does gay marriage keep moving to the right in this country?

27 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

'move to the right' is Australian bureaucratese for 'delayed, not done (now or perhaps ever), put off indefinitely'.

Just now, mfd101 said:

'move to the right' is Australian bureaucratese for 'delayed, not done (now or perhaps ever), put off indefinitely'.

Oh okay. No idea what the answer is, lethargy probably. I also don't understand why they don't let transgender people change their sex on the ID card, provided they have undergone the full package of surgery, but it is what it is. 

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I meant to add that I am not too up to date on the type of English spoken in our former colonies ????

28 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I meant to add that I am not too up to date on the type of English spoken in our former colonies ????

I think you would find your Civil Service and its Servants would understand.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Please use the term "equal" marriage, or same sex marriage. It is about equality. Sorry to throw that thought into the mix

The basic principle in play is that Thailand does not offer rights to gay people. It's not that complicated. Gay money spends the same but Thailand offers very little security for gay couples and this is reflected in their immigration policies. 

There could only be little or no doubt that gay people are still discriminated against in Thailand. 

Archived