Flying domestic without a passport

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

When flying AirAsia their policy is you have to use the same ID at check-in that was used for booking the flight. I believe the only option to book online for a foreigner is with a Passport. Thai nationals can book using either their Passport or Thai ID. My Thai daughter and I flew from Bangkok to Buriram last week and check-in staff would not accept a photo of her ID card on my phone and they requested the actual card which she had.

Just flew Udon Thani-Bangkok and return with Air Asia in the last fortnight. They refused to accept my Thai DL and insisted on my passport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bentley333 said:

Last yr I went to Phuket from bkk leaving my passport with immigratation, Chonburi. I rolled up with an Australian driving licence after reading the airlines rules on travel and ID.

The airline declined my ID insisting on a passport. 

Hiwever, I went upstairs in bkk and bought and boarded a Thai Smile flight without any difficulties. So, do check with the airline before buying the return ticket. 

All the best

G

Why did you leave your passport with Immigration? They of all people should know that you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why did you leave your passport with Immigration?

Chonburi immigration keeps the passport overnight (over the weekend if applying on a Friday) to get the final approval of a extension application.

3 hours ago, Chassa said:

Renewing a passport at the Australian Embassy takes 3/4 weeks. Airline would not accept my cancelled old passport but accepted my Thai drivers licence. I really did not want to stay in Bangkok for a month, waiting for a new passport.

What would they have done if you didn't have a Thai drivers license? Denied you flying to BKK to go to the Aussie Embassy to renew your expired passport? Then how would you renew your passport or even worse, if you had lost your passport previously and needed to go to BKK to get a new one?

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't expect to be able to check in to any decent hotel then. You have more problems than just flying back if you forgot that.

Didn't you have to show your passport to get the train ticket?

why? I stayed in Dusit Thai Hua Hin, without showing my passport but my wife's was enough.. 

He is with his wife. Although that ticket question is a good one, but any ID showing his face and name will do ????

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What would they have done if you didn't have a Thai drivers license? Denied you flying to BKK to go to the Aussie Embassy to renew your expired passport? Then how would you renew your passport or even worse, if you had lost your passport previously and needed to go to BKK to get a new one?

Why blame the airline if he's got an expired passport? It's not their fault. Try to do the same thing overseas if you don't have another valid ID. 

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

why? I stayed in Dusit Thai Hua Hin, without showing my passport but my wife's was enough.. 

He is with his wife. Although that ticket question is a good one, but any ID showing his face and name will do ????

There are loads of descent hotels/guesthouses which never asks about a passport.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Why did you leave your passport with Immigration? They of all people should know that you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times.

Immigration and the police don't require any tourist or expat to carry the passport all the time? Where did you read that? Many expats carry a laminated copy of the first page in the passport and the last extension. Others have copies in a mobile phone. Or both. 

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chonburi immigration keeps the passport overnight (over the weekend if applying on a Friday) to get the final approval of a extension application.

It's always same IO that signs every extension in the passport at the retirement extension desk at Jomtien Immigration, and he signs them all at the same time. 

Edited by Max69xl

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then they are breaking the law as they are required to submit a TM30 for all foreigners, requiring passport and TM6  details. 

It seems like you haven't been travelling a lot in Thailand. You're a bit naive. 

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Good luck checking into your hotel without your passport.

That is super easy, almost never use it to check in. Also tell them to not report me as I else have to go for my house again,
they most times agree, could be on overstay for all that matters. Flying a different story.

Edited by tabarin

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

As said before, "decent hotels" respect the law, do the TM.30 report, and for that need your passport.

And yes, still many guesthouses or cheap hotels not doing so, but also more and more controls and fines by immigration...

All the hotels that I stay at do a TM30 report AFAIK. My passport number is on my DL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo61 said:

I called Thai smile and they said a passport copy and my USA drivers license is no problem for a domestic flight ????

And where do you get a copy of your passport if you forgot the passport at home in the first place? 

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It seems like you haven't been travelling a lot in Thailand. You're a bit naive. 

No, I am a complete newbie. You know nothing about me. Why not find a subject you are knowledgeable on instead of looking for arguments?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Then isn't that up to them? I hardly think they will do it then report themselves to the local Imm' office.

Yes of course, I did not claim they all followed such requirements, especially when you get away from the touristy areas. I frequently sent my Mrs ahead to see if I could get a better rate. 

But I have also seen it applied strictly. 

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Then you haven't stayed at that many hotels in Thailand. 

Around 200 I would say

(although that does include short-time places who may not bother reporting)

Edited by Jip99
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

All the hotels that I stay at do a TM30 report AFAIK.

My passport number is on my DL.

Your passport number is not enough to fill a TM30. They need to know your TM6 number, your type of visa and (?) date of entrance. That's why they need to see your passport.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Some of us loved travelling on the train so much we used it in preference to flying. It's all in the mind set.

Just tell yourself you are saving the planet from doom by using the train instead of polluting the atmosphere.

are not the trains DIESEL thus polluting the atmosphere ??

On 10/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, thinktoomuch said:

I've been asked for my passport before when trying to use my non-Thai driving license. They didn't even read it - just saw that it wasn't a Thailand issued ID and asked for my passport, which I had, of course.

Why try? I just wanted to see if I could fly domestic without it.

This was about 2 years ago. Your experience may differ.

i have used Thai driving licence before all licences have ones passport number on it !!!

23 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Your passport number is not enough to fill a TM30. They need to know your TM6 number, your type of visa and (?) date of entrance. That's why they need to see your passport.

Obviously not.

.... and they do report, my local IO knew where I had stayed when he helped me register for reporting.

Obviously, TM6’s will soon be redundant.