MARRIAGE EXTENSION ENQUIRY

2 questions. I have a non o multiple entry visa (marriage) which finishes March 2020. I want to apply for a marriage extension in January because of travel arrangements we have made and want the process finished sooner. Does it matter when you apply for a marriage extension, or does it have to be near to when your visa expires? Secondly do I get the bank letter (proof for immigration) a few days before I apply for the extension or when I deposit 400,000 in the account which will be this week. Thanks.

Bank letter is only valid for 1 week prior to getting visa. You will also need photo copies of passport and bank book. Regards visa you can get that in some places 40 days? prior to getting visa. IE your old visa runs out. Go check at your local I/O they will tell you what system they use they all differ. With the 400k system you will need lots and I mean lot of paper work. Photos and a pile of other stuff I/O is you first port of call they have lists of what's required.

Edited by fredob43
  • Sad 1

You can apply for a the extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 or 45 days at some offices of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa. You do not have to wait for your visa to expire since you are extending your permit to stay not the visa.

You will need to get the bank letter near to when you apply for the extension. How before it can be dated depends upon the office you apply at. I suggest you get it no earlier than the day before unless your local office tells you otherwise.

Same for a bank book update and copies of it you will need.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

I don't have an extension . This is my first application . I have a non o multiple entry visa. so does this 30-45 prior thing still apply.

Yes. Well it did but things change every day, so go check at I/O as all the info you get on here could be out of date. You state that your visa runs out in March 2020 so you will be able to do it some time late January/Feb: They might make an exception due to circumstances who knows. But that's not normal.

Take note that it takes a few weeks to get your visa once applied for as they have to send off all your paper work to be checked. That can be up to 4 weeks. The only shore way of getting your visa on the day will be by using the 800k system. That's what I do. 1 page of paper work few snaps and copies, bank letter, and your sorted in a matter of 30/40 min:

Edited by fredob43

I thought a marriage extension was 400,000 bht in my Thai bank account for 2 months. I didn't realise there was another option. The GB exchange rate is so bad I don't want to bring another 400,000 over at the moment. Ubon Joe said it doesn't have to come from overseas , I hope that is still the case. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You state that your visa runs out in March 2020 so you will be able to do it some time late January/Feb: They might make an exception due to circumstances who knows. But that's not normal.

As I wrote before the visas expiration date does not matter. The application is to extend a permit to stay not the visa. A extension can be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from a multiple entry visa.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

I thought a marriage extension was 400,000 bht in my Thai bank account for 2 months. I didn't realise there was another option. The GB exchange rate is so bad I don't want to bring another 400,000 over at the moment. Ubon Joe said it doesn't have to come from overseas , I hope that is still the case. 

Correct it is 400k but it involves lots of aggro paperwork wise. They don't make it easy.

Yes correct the exchange rate is <deleted>. It can come from anywhere as long as it's in your own personal account. Might be worth thinking about the 800k process then take out the 400k 3 months later and revert back to the long winded process next year. That's if you need your visa sharpish. No one said life would be easy.

N/B The 800k process you'll get a retirement visa for 1 year nothing to do with the marriage thing. I did look into the 400k process that's why I do the 800k thing.

I brought my monies over several years ago when the BHT was 74 = 1 UK pound. It's been in a deposit account since then. Earning better interest that I could get in the UK so a win win for me. Sorry to say not so good now. 

As U/J has said you might be able to change it before the March dead line but you said that your monies will go into today so that might not give you time for it to cure (2 months) it time. So looks like your buggered with the Jan: time.

Edited by fredob43
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Not sure where people get the info from that the money in the bank has to come from abroad for an extension.

The only time it has to be proved is when applying for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration based upon qualify for an extension of stay based based upon retirment.

• Like 1

You have a multi entry visa so you will get a new 90 days on next entry.  If putting money into account now it would also be a good time to make that second entry as when it has been in account two months you will be eligible to extend your stay (last 30 days of permitted to stay).

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before the visas expiration date does not matter. The application is to extend a permit to stay not the visa. A extension can be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from a multiple entry visa.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where people get the info from that the money in the bank has to come from abroad for an extension.

The only time it has to be proved is when applying for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration based upon qualify for an extension of stay based based upon retirment.

Your correct as usual, but the OP problem as I said at the bottom of my last post is that his monies will come over today so it'll need time for it to cure (2 months) so he will be left with the later time for getting his Marriage visa P/to Stay. That's of cause you know better. And there is another way round it. Extending 0 visa for EG.

Edited by fredob43

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Your correct as usual, but the OP problem as I said at the bottom of my last post is that his monies will come over today so it'll need time for it to cure (2 months) so he will be left with the later time for getting his visa P/to Stay.

He did not mention when his current 90 permit to stay ends. He only mentioned when his visa expires.

Two months from today would be the December 31st. If his permit to stay no longer than 30 days from that date he could apply for the extension of 2nd or 3rd of January (immigration will be closed from the 28th of December to the 1st of January).

Thanks chaps, yes 90 day ends DEC. 15th so I will have to re jig a few things. Getting visas etc used to be a simple process, seems to be changing almost daily. I will double check what I need for the extension but are they particularly fussy about photos with the wife? Not rude ones obviously ???? What type etc? I've been married 16 years and have 16 year old daughter who will come along with us so hopefully no issues.

6 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Thanks chaps, yes 90 day ends DEC. 15th so I will have to re jig a few things.

You need to make a new entry now to get a permitted to stay until late January.  That will allow you to extend in early January as you want.

12 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Thanks chaps, yes 90 day ends DEC. 15th so I will have to re jig a few things. Getting visas etc used to be a simple process, seems to be changing almost daily. I will double check what I need for the extension but are they particularly fussy about photos with the wife? Not rude ones obviously ???? What type etc? I've been married 16 years and have 16 year old daughter who will come along with us so hopefully no issues.

Your correct that the Visa system is now crazy, they don't make it easy.

Re snaps they will need ones that are taken in your house place of residence, also outside showing you your wife in different spots. They also need a map of where you live +++ many copies of general things House book, passport, bank book her ID. ETC, Better to go to your local I/O and get the full list. Friend of mine has just done same and it took all day

Edited by fredob43

Yep Thanks thinking about that option now . Pain in the a*** really, I Usually got a multi o from London but now it's only single entry and I don't think I even qualify for that as I have no letter of employment , pension statement or self assessment cert., just a wedge of savings. Thanks for your info.

5 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Do  a border run soon to get a new 90 day entry would be a good option since it would end near the end of January or early February. Or you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife that would allow you stay until the 13th of February.

Photo of you and your wife in and around the house are not that big a deal. One showing you and your wife sitting on the bed and on the sofa would be enough. And a family photo showing the house number and one of the house from the street.

7 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Yep Thanks thinking about that option now . Pain in the a*** really, I Usually got a multi o from London but now it's only single entry and I don't think I even qualify for that as I have no letter of employment , pension statement or self assessment cert., just a wedge of savings. Thanks for your info.

You might be able to get a 90 day 0 visa from the UK and change that at it's end. Now you have to do it all on line just to get an appointment. But their website is not working to well. Have two friends that want to get longer visas from London. Not able to do same. Both have come here on the 30 on arrival visa and extending that for another 30days at the I/O 1.900bht that's fine for him. The other one is married has a daughter and he couldn't get one for 6 months. He's now in Vietnam getting a 1 year multi 0 after his 30 days on arrival has run out. Seems they don't like to work on visas in the UK.

Edited by fredob43

52 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Correct it is 400k but it involves lots of aggro paperwork wise. They don't make it easy.

I have scanned all of my docs, and when it's time to renew/extend for another 12 months, I just print them off, bank letter and a couple of other docs, a couple of photocopies, some photos and away we go.

Sure the retirement extension is much easier, if you want to save on A4.

I was on the retirement extension originally against my request the 1st time when I applied for the marriage extension/visa, then changed from the retirement extension to the marriage extension the following year. They weren't happy, but the way I see it is if someone upstairs decided to cancel the retirement extension, where would that leave me, married to a Thai, at least the way I see it, a marriage extension has more weight, e.g. supporting Thai wife and kids, not saying that they would cancel the retirement extension, but what if some nutta did, worst case scenario, that same nutta cancelled the marriage extension as well, then we return to my homeland as we all have my countries passports, in other words, I/we are covered for anything that is thrown our way.

It pays to be paranoid, organised and have finances in the bank, because you have to always expect the unexpected. 

Thank You Ubon Joe. One more question for you as you and the other guys here seem very knowledgeable and my situation is complicated. If I divorce on this extension in the future, I am aware I will have to leave the country as the extension becomes void. I wish to marry another lady so I will have to leave Thailand and apply for a 'tourist' visa back in the UK , then once I arrive back in Thailand, go through the marriage extension process again. As stated before I don't think I qualify for STV or MTV because I don't have letter of employment, pension or self assessment form(which seems to be a requirement for all visas now according to the online system) and consulates might be closing. So my question is, if I'm unable to get these visas can I enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry and start the new marriage extension process that way? My life is nearly as complicated as the new visa system ???? so any advice welcomed.

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have scanned all of my docs, and when it's time to renew/extend for another 12 months, I just print them off, bank letter and a couple of other docs, a couple of photocopies, some photos and away we go.

Sure the retirement extension is much easier, if you want to save on A4.

I was on the retirement extension originally against my request the 1st time when I applied for the marriage extension/visa, then changed from the retirement extension to the marriage extension the following year. They weren't happy, but the way I see it is if someone upstairs decided to cancel the retirement extension, where would that leave me, married to a Thai, at least the way I see it, a marriage extension has more weight, e.g. supporting Thai wife and kids, not saying that they would cancel the retirement extension, but what if some nutta did, worst case scenario, that same nutta cancelled the marriage extension as well, then we return to my homeland as we all have my countries passports, in other words, I/we are covered for anything that is thrown our way.

It pays to be paranoid, organised and have finances in the bank, because you have to always expect the unexpected. 

Cant see then stopping the retirement Visa as you have to have 800k in the bank. But I can see them upping it to 1 Mil: as it's been 800k for years.

Even if they did I would take my monies out of bank and go to Vietnam and get a 1 year multi 0. Once a year. Ok a bit more aggro but you do have the choice at present. I am married to a Thai so can always revert to marriage one, but would sooner just go for the strait forward retirement one. A lot less aggro, no snaps and a lot less paperwork thank Buddha.

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, ferango73 said:

Does it matter when you apply for a marriage extension, or does it have to be near to when your visa expires?

Yes and yes. Within 40 days or something like that.

2 hours ago, ferango73 said:

Secondly do I get the bank letter (proof for immigration) a few days before I apply for the extension or when I deposit 400,000 in the account which will be this week. Thanks.

Bank letter only valid a week, and need bank balance in the bank book same day as extension.

If you can put 800,000 in bank for extension based on retirement it's far better and simpler. IO's prefer it too.

17 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

Thank You Ubon Joe. One more question for you as you and the other guys here seem very knowledgeable and my situation is complicated. If I divorce on this extension in the future, I am aware I will have to leave the country as the extension becomes void. I wish to marry another lady so I will have to leave Thailand and apply for a 'tourist' visa back in the UK , then once I arrive back in Thailand, go through the marriage extension process again. As stated before I don't think I qualify for STV or MTV because I don't have letter of employment, pension or self assessment form(which seems to be a requirement for all visas now according to the online system) and consulates might be closing. So my question is, if I'm unable to get these visas can I enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry and start the new marriage extension process that way? My life is nearly as complicated as the new visa system ???? so any advice welcomed.

Quick one you cant remarry another Thai for 1 year after a divorce. Well that's what it was a year ago. Not that I'm thinking of that. Might be better for you to get a retirement visa 800k system and then you wont have the problem. You don't have to be married to get one of those, just renew every year. As said that's what I do and the wife doesn't even have to come to the I/O when I do mine. She does but doesn't have to.

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Quick one you cant remarry another Thai for 1 year after a divorce. Well that's what it was a year ago. Not that I'm thinking of that. Might be better for you to get a retirement visa 800k system and then you wont have the problem. You don't have to be married to get one of those, just renew every year. As said that's what I do and the wife doesn't even have to come to the I/O when I do mine.

The initial non O visa may be for marriage but it can be extended on retirement, providing extra financials OK. That's what I did, as consulate only did non O for marriage.

16 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

You would not have to go back to the UK to get a new visa of any kind. You could get a single entry or a (single or multiple) non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

18 minutes ago, ferango73 said:

If you do next extension on retirement you don't have to leave, as it's not cancelled, even if initial non O was for marriage, and can keep extending based on retirement even if divorced, as I did.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Quick one you cant remarry another Thai for 1 year after a divorce. Well that's what it was a year ago. 

It is actually around 230 days not a year. Earlier with a pregnancy test being done.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The initial non O visa may be for marriage but it can be extended on retirement, providing extra financials OK. That's what I did, as consulate only did non O for marriage.

As an earlier post of mine if you are married you can get a 30day visa on entry and then go to Vietnam and get a 1 year non 0. The UK I/O at present is becoming a real pain in the B/tt. To get any sort of visa.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is actually around 230 days not a year. Earlier with a pregnancy test being done.

Thanks for that updated info. As luck would have it I'm not pregnant as yet. Worth thinking about if ever my situation changes.

Edited by fredob43