Cancelling an ED visa

Hi there

Im currently studying Thai at Chiang Mai but will be leaving Thailand in a few weeks. Can I just walk into the immigration and cancel my ED visa extension before I leave Thailand or do I need some paperwork from the school to do so? 

After I cancel, the date of my validity to stay in Thailand changes or stays the same? ie if I cancel 2 weeks before im due to leave/the end of my extension, will the date be the same after I cancel or do I have to leave within 24 hours of cancelling the extension?

Thanks!

You would need a letter from the school stating the date your studies will be ending.

You can go to immigration a few days before the date shown on the letter and they will post date the cancelation to that day.

If you go to immigration on the day your extension is canceled you have to leave by midnight on that day or apply for an extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

Is there any particular reason you want to cancel it before leaving the country?

11 minutes ago, james12345thailand said:

Okay thanks. I have heard if I just leave and don't cancel formally at immigration I may face issues in returning to Thailand in future as a tourist?

I have never hear it being a problem.

9 minutes ago, james12345thailand said:

What visa would I apply for to get an extra 7 days? an extension of my ED or a new tourist visa?

It does not matter what reason you put on the form since it will be denied and you will be granted 7 day to leave the country.

Okay thank you that is good to know. Can I apply for the 7 day final extension at any immigration office or does it have to be Chiang Mai as that is where my extension is filed at? 
Do I need my TM30 to get the 7 day extension and when do I have to apply for the 7 day extra visa? Can I do that while my ED extension has a few days left to run or does it have to be on the last day of my extension valididity?

Appreciate all your help!

6 hours ago, james12345thailand said:

Okay thank you that is good to know. Can I apply for the 7 day final extension at any immigration office or does it have to be Chiang Mai as that is where my extension is filed at? 

You will have to do iti in Chiang Mai when you cancel your extension.

6 hours ago, james12345thailand said:

Do I need my TM30 to get the 7 day extension and when do I have to apply for the 7 day extra visa? Can I do that while my ED extension has a few days left to run or does it have to be on the last day of my extension valididity?

A TM30 report would not be needed unless you have left the country since the last one was done.

You can do the cancelation and the extension application a few days before your extension ends.

Okay as I have been out of the country since I last filed my extension I will go to immigration, file my TM30, cancel my my extension and show a letter from my school and then I apply for a tourist visa extension to get my 7 day final extension correct?  Is that the correct order to do it?

I have also just returned from my home country with a new passport will this cause complications? as my TM30 and old visas/extensions are all in my old passport not new one I returned to Thailand on. Thanks