Freezing out there

grifbel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, grifbel said:

Looks like it will be a cold winter.  So much for global warming.....

They don't have winter in the equatorial zone, otherwise known as the "tropics". My room got down to a bone chilling 24.5 C last night due to the cool breeze. It was a wonderful experience, sitting there in my tank top and shorts and not needing the fan.

Don't worry, you will have your global warming. For all we know this could be the last cool weather of the entire Dec - Jan period. Last year we didn't have a single cool day. It was very disappointing. As soon as the room temperature drops below about 28C, you can guarantee someone will start one of these "Oh my - it's freezing - how will I cope" threads.

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

They don't have winter in the equatorial zone, otherwise known as the "tropics". My room got down to a bone chilling 24.5 C last night

My bedroom got down to 24 degC, so I turned the AC off. 

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

We got down to 10 last night and it is barely 15 right now, here in Chiang Rai.  Much cooler than last year.

Yes, the last two years I don't recall it getting really cool at all in Pattaya. I used the air con every night and was able to swim without turning blue every day. It looks like this cool season is going to be different.

Coldest nights that I can remember was 28th to 30th December 1999 down the Best Friend complex where the thermometer on the wall of one bar on the side was 7c. I've never ever worn a jumper or jacket in my life out in Pattaya but I would have those nights lol

14 hours ago, villagefarang said:

We got down to 10 last night and it is barely 15 right now, here in Chiang Rai.  Much cooler than last year.

That doesn't surprise me as we had zero cool days/nights last Dec - Jan in Pattaya.

I bought a little bar heater for my wife after the cool season in Dec 2015 to Jan 2016, that lasted many weeks, but we have never used it. The people concerned about climate change not happening need not worry - it's definitely getting warmer despite a little setback this week. There were a lot more cold nights prior to 2011 (in Pattaya).

On 11/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, rott said:

It hasn't been referred to as global warming for at least twenty years.

Climate change is the amended description, more extremes of weather, more flooding, more droughts, more very hot weather, more very cold weather. Possibly why it may be cool again at Christmas in Bangkok and Pattaya.

amended by the bush administration. its warming weather you want to call it that or not

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Pattaya46 said:

22.8 °C early morning today at the Pattaya Weather Station...

Not freezing… but not far :wink:

Haha, You're sounding like a full-fledged native ( Not freezing... but not far). 22.8 is a helluva a long way from 0 degrees (freezing). Better make sure you're wearing flannel pyjamas and not the cotton or silk version. If it dips below 20, maybe add a toque to your nightwear and socks too.

Keep warm in the tropics !

On 12/6/2019 at 5:15 AM, johng said:

Nice and cool this morning in Jomtien.

P_20191206_063543.thumb.jpg.8a9d6a9edc3a302f50c7b2d0671a1f74.jpg

Where do you come by one of those, looks like one of those home soldered kits available on eBay, but the display is pretty fancy. What's the sensors on it, obviously the PM indexes are collected from a nearby monitoring station through the web, but does it have a local temperature/humidity sensor?

How nice for some of you to live in Bangkok or further South.  I married a girl from the North, Phitsanulok province and the village we live in is very chilly in the early mornings.  11.2C today from the photo you can see it was lower yesterday.  Sure it will get warm about 9.00 and comfortably hot 11.00 to 2.00 but around 4.45 when the sun drops below the hill it will chill out again.

PS: Checkout Dr Patrick Moore and Prof William Happer if you want the truth about the climate.

IMG20191207065920[1].jpg

21 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, the last two years I don't recall it getting really cool at all in Pattaya. I used the air con every night and was able to swim without turning blue every day. It looks like this cool season is going to be different.

Morning swim been off my routine for 4 days now... Thursday, it was cut short, not the only thing that went short!

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Morning swim been off my routine for 4 days now... Thursday, it was cut short, not the only thing that went short!

They have been breaking the ice early mornings on the pool at the Village Pattaya....:cheesy:

8 hours ago, marf said:

Where do you come by one of those, looks like one of those home soldered kits available on eBay, but the display is pretty fancy. What's the sensors on it, obviously the PM indexes are collected from a nearby monitoring station through the web, but does it have a local temperature/humidity sensor?

Lazada has a big selection of them. It does have a built-in PM meter, not connected to the web. I got one as well, works fine.

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Lazada has a big selection of them. It does have a built-in PM meter, not connected to the web. I got one as well, works fine.

Doesn't that mean it's reading the indoor AQI, not the outdoor?

7 hours ago, marf said:

Doesn't that mean it's reading the indoor AQI, not the outdoor?

Most digital thermometers available on Lazada have an outside sensor that either plugs in or is hard wired. Just run the wire outside to get both indoor and outdoor temperatures. I was using one of these 25 years ago, so it's nothing new.

Btw, it's the unusually low humidity right now (saw it drop to 30% yesterday) that is upsetting a lot of people, rather than the temperature. I rode my motorbike 5 km wearing shorts and a T-shirt tonight at about midnight - the temperatures are not cold in Pattaya. I hope they drop further.

21 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

How nice for some of you to live in Bangkok or further South.  I married a girl from the North, Phitsanulok province and the village we live in is very chilly in the early mornings.  11.2C today from the photo you can see it was lower yesterday.  Sure it will get warm about 9.00 and comfortably hot 11.00 to 2.00 but around 4.45 when the sun drops below the hill it will chill out again.

PS: Checkout Dr Patrick Moore and Prof William Happer if you want the truth about the climate.

IMG20191207065920[1].jpg

I was thinking how nice it is for you. I'd love to have those temperatures in Pattaya and experience just a little bit of winter. The last time I had to wear long pants on my motorcycle at night was 2009.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I rode my motorbike 5 km wearing shorts and a T-shirt tonight at about midnight - the temperatures are not cold in Pattaya. I hope they drop further.

Midnight is not the problem, as temperature is still about 22°.  :cool:

Try to ride at 6AM when temperature is just above 18°

and you will see the difference. :wink:

On 12/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, marf said:

Where do you come by one of those,

Lazada ( China)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/crazy-deals-28-inch-car-pm25-air-quality-detector-digital-air-particulates-measure-meter-i278961202-s449228184.html

It has temperature,humidity and particle sensor on board..no internet connection,no logging  just real time information.

P_20190115_091301.thumb.jpg.ec76d9fac20e79b4692d70af53d20041.jpg

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Midnight is not the problem, as temperature is still about 22°.  :cool:

Try to ride at 6AM when temperature is just above 18°

and you will see the difference. :wink:

As a nightowl who doesn't sleep until later in the morning, most of my excursions are between midnight and 6am. That's the time I do most of my grocery shopping. It doesn't get down to 18C where I live, close to the beach. The coolest so far was just over 22C, and that was at sun rise. 22C is still quite ok for me in shorts and a T-shirt.  :wink:

On 11/1/2019 at 8:35 PM, sirineou said:

I hope you are right about the winter, a bit cool is always nice in Thailand, but I am afraid

You are confusing weather with climate. The climate is becoming increasingly warmer , no one is disputing that. even though weather in some regions and for some times might become cooler. 

Oh NO? BS on globullsh*t warming. I dispute that, so to millions and millions of people. A made up farce money grab with a bunch of useful idiots behind it. Before the warming hoax it was cooling. We were all supposed to be on an ice covered planet by now. Then it was the oceans were going to swamp all the coastlines. UhHuh... Seems "climate change" is the popular phrase now seeing that fewer and fewer people are falling for the warming scam.

Archived