Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Never will change

According to a Thai friend it was very recently on the news that the government is planning to stop its dual pricing policy. Once I’d stopped laughing we agreed that we'll wait and see.....probably for a very long time.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:17 AM, Lacessit said:
On 11/2/2019 at 3:08 AM, sirineou said:

Instead of looking at it that you pay more, why don't you look at it that shareholders get a discount?

Private companies that give an 80% discount to their shareholders usually go broke.

Do they...usually? Really?  Any examples?

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Still wrong, it’s principle not principal, and also wrong because it’s about self respect 

Rather being the spelling police, perhaps you could advise me on activating spellcheck, someting I haven't been able to do on TV.

Being a kind hearted person who is generous to those less fortunate than themselves, gives you a great deal of self respect. You should try it sometime.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Rather being the spelling police, perhaps you could advise me on activating spellcheck, someting I haven't been able to do on TV.

Being a kind hearted person who is generous to those less fortunate than themselves, gives you a great deal of self respect. You should try it sometime.

I’d love to help you out finding spellcheck, but I don’t need to use it.

21 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

According to a Thai friend it was very recently on the news that the government is planning to stop its dual pricing policy. Once I’d stopped laughing we agreed that we'll wait and see.....probably for a very long time.

If you were holding your breathe you would be dead by now. Racism is a game for them. 

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

No, he’s saying discrimination is a bad thing....anywhere, including national parks

yeah. In a world with ethnic cleansing and so many serious issues of discrimination I just dont  see thai people going to a thai park for free while I pay a very nominal fee to help with maintenance costs as being anything to be bothered about... especially in that it is optional.. it seems petty to the most extreme... I just consider it a tiny well earned donation for keeping the place up. 

1 hour ago, secondfusilier said:

Wow, you don't see anything to be 'bothered about' with institutionalized racism?

I would not call it institutional racism... I call it people getting really upset over nothing, 200 baht... and blowing it into a big deal... 

How many have died, suffered or gone hungry? My guess is that it is the cheap charlie aspect, not the principle... 

you are in another culture - get used to it or if it is so offensive, don't go to the parks... I hope you never experience real racism and prejudice... 

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I call it people getting really upset over nothing, 200 baht... and blowing it into a big deal... 

Tell this a waitress from Myanmar, she is working in Chiang Mai. She is a foreigner too and for her 200 Baht is a half daily salary. For me it´s not the 200 Baht, it´s the 300% higher price what annoys me. It doesn´t matter if the 300% increase the price 200 or 2,000 Baht. 

For me it´s a principle. If more foreigners stop visiting dual pricing spots, perhaps the government is thinking about it. 

I guess when you are in a restaurant and get a menu with 200% higher prices than your Thai wife/friend, you also say "I don´t care, it´s ok to pay more". Up to you.

35 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

There are many levels of racism, one does not need to die or starve to be subjected to racism.

To state that culture makes racism acceptable is to accept that the racism in the deep south of the USA in the 50s & 60s was ok, after all it was part of the culture.

If you are happy be discriminated against then fair enough but I would not pay an extra satang simply because I am not of the same skin colour as my wife.

II live in Cental Thailand, so to visit any Thai national park would cost me much more in petrol, so the entrance fee really is negligible, so my refusal to pay really is for the principle.

@secondfusilier have you ever wondered why so many in this forum just don’t seem to get it? Or why their defense is “if you don’t like it go home cos you’re a cheap Charlie anyway”

Thailand, and rightfully so, tries to make money off actual tourist who come for 2 weeks, visit the sights and spend their money regardless of cost.

People living in Thailand think they deserve local pricing, rightfully so, however the govt does not appear to agree with that.

Disney in Florida is US $125 a day for Florida residents. Same price for everyone else in the world.

If you want to go, you have to pay the price.

8 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Thailand, and rightfully so, tries to make money off actual tourist who come for 2 weeks, visit the sights and spend their money regardless of cost.

People living in Thailand think they deserve local pricing, rightfully so, however the govt does not appear to agree with that.

Disney in Florida is US $125 a day for Florida residents. Same price for everyone else in the world.

If you want to go, you have to pay the price.

but disney advertise 40% discount for local residents??

6 minutes ago, beau thai said:

but disney advertise 40% discount for local residents??

So does the Jacksonville Zoo where I took the kids a few weeks ago, We paid Florida residents discounted prices  with FL ID, my friend and his kids who were visiting paid more. 

On 11/2/2019 at 4:16 AM, sirineou said:

400 bht, $12 usd the price of a value meal at Burger King in the US. I wonder how much does it cost to visit a national park back in one's country?

I usually pay that much, and more back in the US and I am delighted to pay  400 ght in Thailand , How much do you guys pay in Europe, Australia, etc??

As a senior citizen it costs me US$20 per year for a US national parks pass that will get me into any national park in the US - Grand Canyon, Zion, etc., etc. For US$80 I can get a lifetime pass. And for that, I get me and up to 3 people in the car in without further charge. While the senior passes are for US citizens or permanent residents, for non-seniors, it is US$80 per year and that pass is available to everyone, citizen or foreigner alike. Same price for both. I wouldn't mind doing an annual pass in Thailand if they price were the same for Thais and foreigners. 

David

11 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

As a senior citizen it costs me US$20 per year for a US national parks pass that will get me into any national park in the US - Grand Canyon, Zion, etc., etc. For US$80 I can get a lifetime pass. And for that, I get me and up to 3 people in the car in without further charge. While the senior passes are for US citizens or permanent residents, for non-seniors, it is US$80 per year and that pass is available to everyone, citizen or foreigner alike. Same price for both. I wouldn't mind doing an annual pass in Thailand if they price were the same for Thais and foreigners. 

David

No doubt that there is a more sophisticated system in the US, but the US has more resources to apply towards sophisticated systems, and a much larger  market to spread the costs and risks. Thailand on the other hand has limited resources,and because of it some inadequacies exist. 

People always complain about the "Nanny state" in the west and associated costs, but then complain how Thailand is not more  like the west, and wish it could be more like the west.

Schizophrenic if you ask me.  My advice always "watch what you wish for, you just might get it"

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I guess when you are in a restaurant and get a menu with 200% higher prices than your Thai wife/friend, you also say "I don´t care, it´s ok to pay more". Up to you.

you are really hung up on this % thing - - i assume because you have nothing else to hang your hat on...

sorry, I don't get menus w/200% higher prices than my wife... so, I think you are really starting to grasp at straws here... 

much to do over nothing... again and again... = cheap charlie. 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No doubt that there is a more sophisticated system in the US, but the US has more resources to apply towards sophisticated systems, and a much larger  market to spread the costs and risks. Thailand on the other hand has limited resources,and because of it some inadequacies exist. 

People always complain about the "Nanny state" in the west and associated costs, but then complain how Thailand is not more  like the west, and wish it could be more like the west.

Schizophrenic if you ask me.  My advice always "watch what you wish for, you just might get it"

Having an annual park pass is hardly rocket science. Takes more technology to issue a drivers license or passport and Thailand manages to pull that off reasonably well.

David

13 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

t is US$80 per year and that pass is available to everyone, citizen or foreigner alike. Same price for both.

ok - that's great - - here I get noodle soup for about $1 a bowl and everyone with me, Thai and farang can eat that cheap also... I save so much money every month on noodle soup that I can go to a park here, go hog wild and blow 200 baht and not have to worry about it... 

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

ok - that's great - - here I get noodle soup for about $1 a bowl and everyone with me, Thai and farang can eat that cheap also... I save so much money every month on noodle soup that I can go to a park here, go hog wild and blow 200 baht and not have to worry about it... 

So I guess you would be ok with the noodle shop charging you 4 times the price for your bowl of soup that they charge the Thai sitting next to you for his?

David

2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

If you are happy be discriminated against then fair enough

I think you are missing my point... I don't even feel slightly discriminated against... I am glad to help Thailand by paying a pittance extra so that I can support the upkeep... 

While you stay home, stewing in your paranoia, I will enjoy the waterfalls and enjoy seeing the Thai people having fun... 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I think you are missing my point... I don't even feel slightly discriminated against... I am glad to help Thailand by paying a pittance extra so that I can support the upkeep... 

While you stay home, stewing in your paranoia, I will enjoy the waterfalls and enjoy seeing the Thai people having fun... 

No reason to stay home. Some of the most beautiful and interesting things in Thailand are free. All I have to do is get on my motorcycle and ride. 

David

3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

So I guess you would be ok with the noodle shop charging you 4 times the price for your bowl of soup that they charge the Thai sitting next to you for his?

David

No, I wouldn't... but you stated it like a fact that they do... when they don't. I am saying if the extra 200 baht is such a worry, think how much you save in other things here... why do the complainers here never seem to see another side? And nobody is breaking your arm to go to the park,.. 

I am just trying to make the point that people here get all worked up over very small cultural difference - -  In USA out of state residents pay more for State Schools - out of county residents pay more county golf courses... Srs pay less for busses and movies... there is so much dual pricing everywhere - - I have known famous people who don't carry any money because they get in everywhere for free... why can't you just accept that you are not in kansas anymore? 

3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

No reason to stay home. Some of the most beautiful and interesting things in Thailand are free. All I have to do is get on my motorcycle and ride. 

David

Agreed... have a nice trip... and think of all the money you probably save by not having to tip... though it is kindly and appreciated if you do... 

40 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Having an annual park pass is hardly rocket science. Takes more technology to issue a drivers license or passport and Thailand manages to pull that off reasonably well.

David

Yea I am sure you are right,

I guess  saving some money on a very small part of the population at national parks , might not be very high on their priorities.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, DannyCarlton said:

All national parks are free to everyone in the UK. Funded by charitable donations. This is Thailand so what another country's policy is, is irrelevant to me.

Just back from a quick visit to the Science Museum after getting my 2 month visa at the Thai embassy. They have a desk and staff right across the entrance and ask everyone entering to pay an optional donation of at least 5 pounds to get in. I just said I'm retired and on a low income and got a cheery smile and fair enough and sailed through. 

Archived