Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

Bad news for all visitors of the Doi Inthanon National Park. The last years I paid the Thai entrance fee with my pink ID card. That's not possible anymore. If you are not a Thai national, you have to pay the foreigner price. If you have these card, a Thai driver license or a work permit, it doesn´t matter. 300 Baht instead of 50 Baht. Experience from today.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

250 baht isn't exactly going to break the bank. Wouldn't stop me going.

Right, I also can afford it. But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai. If a noodle soup stall would ask for 300 Baht foreigner price instead of 50 Baht for a Thai, I also wouldn´t pay these 250 Baht more. I also refuse the 400 Baht entrance fee for foreigners at the San Khampaeng hot spring instead of the 50 Baht for Thais. That´s 8 times more. 

Regional differences ... In 2013 the two national parks near us had signs up clearly stating 'Thai ID card' only for the lower price. 

For the ticket sellers, and remember it's not their decision, would have made their job easier. No foreigners waving driver licences (never understood that argument, it's a driver licence, nothing more) or work permits

We still go often to Namtok Phliu, 200 b (for me) is a bargain for all the place offers, great for our family day out.

Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia also have similar reduced prices for locals, we travel often and don't complain about their price structures.

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Right, I also can afford it. But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai. If a noodle soup stall would ask for 300 Baht foreigner price instead of 50 Baht for a Thai, I also wouldn´t pay these 250 Baht more. I also refuse the 400 Baht entrance fee for foreigners at the San Khampaeng hot spring instead of the 50 Baht for Thais. That´s 8 times more. 

Instead of looking at it that you pay more, why don't you look at it that shareholders get a discount?

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Instead of looking at it that you pay more, why don't you look at it that shareholders get a discount?

Private companies that give an 80% discount to their shareholders usually go broke. Just as well those parks are publicly funded.

I am wondering what the Chinese pay, because I can't see them standing still for that kind of price gouging.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Private companies that give an 80% discount to their shareholders usually go broke. Just as well those parks are publicly funded.

I am wondering what the Chinese pay, because I can't see them standing still for that kind of price gouging.

They are indeed publicly funded and Thais are the publick that fund them.They are the shareholders and they get a discount.

As  for your concern regarding the Thai business model of charging for their national parks. I appreciate your concern ,I am sure Thai authorities probably have the same concern which is why they charge  non shareholders as much. If non shareholders think the premium for such services is to high they have the right not to participate.   

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They are indeed publicly funded and Thais are the publick that fund them.They are the shareholders and they get a discount.

As  for your concern regarding the Thai business model of charging for their national parks. I appreciate your concern ,I am sure Thai authorities probably have the same concern which is why they charge  non shareholders as much. If non shareholders think the premium for such services is to high they have the right not to participate.   

That's why I walk away if I think the "premium" is too high, although I prefer to call it price gouging.

Permit me to doubt the vast majority of rural Thais fund national parks. How would they do that, when they don't have income tax?

Parks in and around CM were iffy with foreigners with Thai licenses 10+ years ago. Would be surprised if this were a new thing with Inthanon. On another note, folk may recall gaining free entry through the 'back door' (coming from MHS) many moons ago, and cheap digs with hardly any people in them. Them were the days. I hate change :crying:

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That's why I walk away if I think the "premium" is too high, although I prefer to call it price gouging.

Permit me to doubt the vast majority of rural Thais fund national parks. How would they do that, when they don't have income tax?

They collectively fund them,

Some have more money and Pay more taxes, others have less money and pay less taxes , and then there are those who have so litle that they pay no taxes at all,  such as the rural folks to are referring too.But they are all Thai and to the extent that they can contribute, taxes is not the only way a person contributes to their country. 

But  I am sure none of the ones who have a lot of money wish they had less so they can pay less taxes.

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Commonly known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face". I moved to Thailand to experience the full panoply of what the country has to offer. For me, the national parks are a big part of that.

The first one I visited was Khao Yai. I booked a ridiculously expensive hotel nearby and had a 200km trip each way.

On arriving at the gates the following morning, I was told, "No discounts for foreigners" and they refused any negotiations by my wife or myself. Was I going to turn away for 400 baht? You must be joking. Paid my 400 baht and had a very memorable day. For me, 400 baht was value for money. Irrelevant to me what my wife paid.

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Commonly known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face". I moved to Thailand to experience the full panopay of what the country has to offer. For me, the national parks are a big part of that.

The first one I visited was Khao Yai. I booked a ridiculously expensive hotel nearby and had a 200km trip each way.

On arriving at the gates the following morning, I was told, "No discounts for foreigners" and they refused any negotiations by my wife or myself. Was I going to turn away for 400 baht? You must be joking. Paid my 400 baht and had a very memorable day. For me, 400 baht was value for money. Irrelevant to me what my wife paid.

400 bht, $12 usd the price of a value meal at Burger King in the US. I wonder how much does it cost to visit a national park back in one's country?

I usually pay that much, and more back in the US and I am delighted to pay  400 ght in Thailand , How much do you guys pay in Europe, Australia, etc??

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

So instead of a nice day out, you rush home to report your indignation to a bunch

of strangers on the internet.....

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

400 bht, $12 usd the price of a value meal at Burger King in the US. I wonder how much does it cost to visit a national park back in one's country?

I usually pay that much, and more back in the US and I am delighted to pay  400 ght in Thailand , How much do you guys pay in Europe, Australia, etc??

All national parks are free to everyone in the UK. Funded by charitable donations. This is Thailand so what another country's policy is, is irrelevant to me.

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

If you are willing to be over charged and or do not say anything either at a park  shop, or bar you are the one responsible for all the prices going up everywhere for the next foreigner SUCKER ! Ever wonder why the prices continue to go up ? IT IS YOU !

What a sad puppy you are.

5 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

So as I work and pay tax in Thailand and the amount of tax I pay is more than the average Thai, I must be a bigger shareholder and should therefore be afforded a bigger discount.

We are guests not shareholders. You are a guest worker. Apply for permanent status and citizenship  and you too can save some money at national parks. 

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

We are guests not shareholders. You are a guest worker. Apply for permanent status and citizenship  and you too can save some money at national parks. 

Got a pal with PR, they won't let her in for Thai price either.

Only citizenship works, so better change your argument.

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Commonly known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face". I moved to Thailand to experience the full panoply of what the country has to offer. For me, the national parks are a big part of that.

OMG, finally someone offering the right perspective.

thanks for that

38 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

So your original argument that the discount was because Thais (what you call the public) are share holders because they fund the 'private' businesses is total trash.

Once you realized that your argument had folded like a cheap hooker ….., you very quickly changed your argument to state that this was about residency.

If you honestly believe that racist policies are acceptable, you should also be happy to pay 20x the real price of a beer from 7-11, as you are not Thai.

Where did I say anything about "they fund the 'private' businesses" com back with a quote 

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

I have never been to a Thai national park that impressed me and I paid a "Thai price" for every single one I went to. 

Thai parks are garbage and not worth even the Thai price for entry. One trip to a country with a real park system will show anyone how terrible they are here. 

We were just in Yosemite two months ago. THAT is a national park. It costs $30 per vehicle. They didn’t care what color we were or where we came from, $30 for the entire car. There were 4 of us and it cost LESS to enter one of the worlds greatest parks than it does to enter Doi Inthanon. 

Archived