Thai Weddings

jaede

I have heard there are two types of thai weddings.... What are they and how do they differ? Which is best for for us farangs? :o

Are you referring to the civil ceremony at the Amphoe, and the traditional wedding with the procession, the monks, etc?

The first one is the only one with any legal standing. If you plan on sponsoring your spouse to live in your country based on marriage then you must do the civil procedure. (It's hardly ceremonious)

The second is often a loud and colourful party which will mean most to the family. There may also me a simpler family blessing with the close family of the wedding couple only. Neither of these are recognized in law.

Thank you for that... My Thai gf mother wants us to have a ceremony in Nang Rong saying it would only be a ceremony, so was confused. :D:D

Under Thai law I need to marry in the UK (I have been divorced less than 310 days, so can't marry in Thailand). I was seperated over 1yr before I divorced, but that doesn't count :o

Anyways Thanks

:D Don't fancy a break for a while from all this marriage lark? Getting back on the horse after only (less than) 310 days!

Good luck :o

Was seperated for a while, and I think the traditional values of her culture are important. Also her family has never been demanding of money, and the dowry is very low for a farang (50k Baht)

So I am happy to do this for her to save face & have the respect of family and elders

:D Don't fancy a break for a while from all this marriage lark? Getting back on the horse after only (less than) 310 days!

Just because you sold your old war horse doesn't mean you can't jump on a lovely thoroughbred if the opportunity arises. :o

Under Thai law I need to marry in the UK (I have been divorced less than 310 days, so can't marry in Thailand).

Can someone confirm this. I thought you could get married quicker, if you got a note from the doctor saying the lady wasn't pregnant. Or does that rule only apply if the lady has been divorced for a short time?

As for the ceremony in the village. It's a great day, big party (which you pay for :D ) people tie string around you and your mrs wrist, give you some money and give gifts to the monks (which you pay for :D ).

The only down side is, if your like me and most farangs we can't sit like Thai's and my legs and ar5e where numb for hours afterwards :o

Under Thai law I need to marry in the UK (I have been divorced less than 310 days, so can't marry in Thailand).

Can someone confirm this. I thought you could get married quicker, if you got a note from the doctor saying the lady wasn't pregnant. Or does that rule only apply if the lady has been divorced for a short time?

As for the ceremony in the village. It's a great day, big party (which you pay for :D ) people tie string around you and your mrs wrist, give you some money and give gifts to the monks (which you pay for :D ).

The only down side is, if your like me and most farangs we can't sit like Thai's and my legs and ar5e where numb for hours afterwards :o

Have read up on the divorce subject a fair bit and it seem fairly set that until 310days has passed then cannot register the marriage.

My ceremony will have no party, only her mum, dad, aunt, and village elders (10people total)... pay 50K dowry no gold....

So think have got of light

Just because you sold your old war horse doesn't mean you can't jump on a lovely thoroughbred if the opportunity arises. :o

True, true...I lost my mind there for a while and became all 'traditional'.

Normal service is resumed now.