Trying to get online Thai Visa UK

I have a cousin who comes to visit every year for 3 months over

the winter,she is 84 years,this year she has problem obtaining

an online visa, she has a neighbour who is good with a computer,

but he can get only so far with the online application.

Rejected because the photos too dark,then too light ,maybe other

stuff too,she has flights booked for end this month and she is

obviously very worried,about the visa, i have told her to try and

get the travel agent that she bought the tickets off to try and get

the visa for her.

Anyone else experiencing visa problems like this for online application

at London,any tips to successfully get the visa would be welcome,she

lives in Newcastle so a trip just to get visa is out of the question. thanks.

regards worgeordie

Hi Worgeordie,

I have a lot of sympathy with your cousin, and at 84 years of age, she will struggle. I am 68 years old and reasonably computer literate.

I have just completed the online application for the 3 month visa and it has taken me over a day to do it! The website is most definitely not user-friendly. I believe that I have successfully completed the form but have not yet posted it as I am waiting for the London embassy to open. I want to ask them if they will accept a postage-paid self-addressed reply special delivery envelope (inside the one I am sending the docs') instead of a £10 note, which they ask for on the paperwork. I always used this method prior to this new system.

Now, to the problems which I encountered and how (I think) I have overcome them. Firstly, as a previous poster has said, any downloaded/scanned/attached doc' must be no greater than .5mb. I got around this by using "paint.net", "saving as" (under the file menu) and then when it pops up with an adjustment facility, one can downsize it. 

Secondly, on my pc, some docs' came out in PDF format, which would not show up on "paint.net", so I had to use a free programme (do not pay for one) called "Any PDF to JPG", in order to, once again downsize it using "paint.net". A point to note here, try to rename the doc' as soon as possible after downsizing it, in order to avoid going round in circles (like I did) when I realised that I was trying to upload the original sized doc' which was still on my pc.

Regarding the photograph: I tried to use a passport-approved photo (taken in a Photo-Me booth) which will not let you proceed to payment until it is satisfied that the pic' meets passport office requirements --- but guess what, it was refused. I can't remember why, because by now I was getting dizzy with frustration. I got around this by getting someone to take a pic' using my phone, which I then "paired" with my pc so that I could deal with it from there. I use an edge browser by the way on Windows 10. This pic' was also refused for various reasons (colour/light/size of head etc) but I again used paint.net and "doctored it". It was a bit tricky, and again don't forget to immediately rename it (or delete the errant one) but I eventually succeeded.

On the final page, a message read, "Stay on this page whilst your application is being processed (or something along those lines), this may take several minutes." After an hour had passed, I bit the bullet and hit the home button. I was relieved to see that I had not lost everything, the application had been accepted, not necessarily approved mind, there was a facility to print off docs' including my receipt for £60, and all was followed up with a confirmatory email.

Here's a very important point: When a reference number appears, do make a note of it so that you can retrieve your application, and if you cannot complete it in one go, hit the save button, or you will have to start the process all over again.

Good luck to your cousin. I'm coming to Chiang Mai in January, where I have yet to visit, then I will let circumstances/smog etc determine where and when I go from there. I think I'm going to need the 3 months in order to recuperate!

Best wishes, David.