Three week holiday

If you know where you're staying and put that on your TM 6 (entry card) it should be accepted. You may have to show equivalent to Bht 20,000 to enable payment for your stay. You can extend your visa exempt by 30 days at immigration for Bht 1,900. 

As for unlimited visa exempt at airports; lots of luck with that in the current climate.

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

If you know where you're staying and put that on your TM 6 (entry card) it should be accepted. You may have to show equivalent to Bht 20,000 to enable payment for your stay.

Thanks, there's people who claim that when or if asked about the twenty thousand baht, you have to show baht. I think it's very rare to be asked to show the money.

But about where you are staying. Surely, you can just write any address of any hotel, no need for proof ?

Edited by tonbridgebrit

9 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Thanks, there's people who claim that when or if asked about the twenty thousand baht, you have to show baht. I think it's very rare to be asked to show the money.

But about where you are staying. Surely, you can just write any address of any hotel, no need for proof ?

It might well be rare, but if asked you should be able to, and it is any cash or traveler's cheques. Not specifically Thai baht. Proof of hotel booking would be a rare request indeed. Such checks are usually reserved for frequent visitors, when they suspect a person is working/living in Thailand. 

If you want to be 100% assured about accommodation: search a hotel booking engine and find a reservation without deposit and cost free cancellation.

Usually places with very little occupancy.

Gives you a nice print to show in case.

If you want to be nice, after passing immigration give them a call and a nice excuse for cancellation.

8 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

There is a sign at Swampy asking you to put the hotels phone number on your entry form.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

If you know where you're staying and put that on your TM 6 (entry card) it should be accepted. You may have to show equivalent to Bht 20,000 to enable payment for your stay. You can extend your visa exempt by 30 days at immigration for Bht 1,900. 

As for unlimited visa exempt at airports; lots of luck with that in the current climate.

If you are travelling visa exempt, 30 day entry, you only need to have on hand if requested is 10k baht or equiv. in foreign currency. 20k min is only required on a tourist visa.

You would need an outgoing international flight ticket within 30 days anyway when checking into your UK flight departure or you will be refused boarding.

There is an unofficial max stay of 180 days per year, so 6x 30 day visa exempt or combo with tourist visas. Higher than that may raise eyebrows as to whether you are working or a genuine tourist.. 

On your TM6 arrival card put a hotel/guest house address and phone no. It would be very unusual for IO to ask for a print out of the booking. These TM6 forms are shoebox stored and rarely checked, unless they have a future need to confirm any details. 

Edited by owenm
Edit
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

I have being coming to Thailand for over 13 years,  some times more than once a year (married to Thai , own home there) anyway, I have never being asked to show the money. Never!!

I cant believe that you would be coming to Thailand without Twenty Thousand anyway. So don't worry about it.

If you know where you're going, you may as well book the first night online. Not only will it be cheap, but you will have genuine details to provide at immigration. Don't carry baht because you get terrible exchange rates abroad, carry your home currency, and as much as you feel comfortable with, as the exchange rates here are great. It will also be accepted as long as it's the equivalent in baht. Just ask your bank for new notes as any tears or marks means that money exchangers won't accept them.

I've been coming to Thailand for about 12 years. Never been asked to show either money or a hotel booking. On many occasions I had no booking so just used to put "guest house, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok" but if they are wanting phone numbers I guess that won't cut the mustard anymore.

I guess the Thai authorities think that people who want to find accommodation when they arrive, or haven't decided on a return date so have only booked a single flight, are security risks. 

I think the key here is how many times have you been recently? If it's a lot, they could refuse you whatever you say. If you haven't been to Thailand for many months or years, you'll be stamped in no problems (unless Interpol are after you).

Edited by SteveK