Marrying My Thai Boyfriend

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie to this forum and need your advice on Marriage.

My Thai boyfriend and I want to get hitched and I need to know what I need to do, what documents if any are neccesary etc.

Secondly, does anyone know if I will be required by law to change my surname to his? :D

Will marriage to my boyfriend allow me to own land/house in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

:o

You can retain your own name, Being married to a Thai does not give you any property rights whatsoever. By marrying a foreigner, your husband to be doesn't lose his ownership rights for property in Thailand. There are a number of foreign ladies in the ladies forum married to Thai guys. They can clue you up. Take a peek.

I assume you want to get married legally.

In Thailand the process is in 2 parts,

the legal part at the local Amphur office where your boyfriend is registered,

then the optional ceremonial part at home.

Please remember that you parents can ask for the bride price,

at least 100,000 baht plus some items of gold jewellery!!

For the ceremonial part you will need someone to act for you, if you parents or brothers cannot attend. When I got married my wife's brothers gave her away, and two Thai friends acted on my behalf.

For the legal part you must obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, from your Embassy. They will advise on the wording. Basically it states that you are not married to anyone else.

The Affirmation must be translated into Thai.

Then certified as a true copy by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

These steps will take you several days!!

Then you can go to the Amphur to get married.

Thai women are no longer required to change their surname to that of the husband.

Anyway the Thai's could not insist in your case, as the change would have to be done at your embassy!!

Once you are married you can apply for a visa extension of One Year as a married person. As a lady you will find it much easier that it is for us men. If you have children they will automatically get dual nationality.

Marriage does not permit you to own land in Thailand, you must be a citizen.

Read this forum for details of how to do that.

Good luck

Hi, I am a farang woman married to a thai man and Astral has given you the exact correct advice. One point, it is not necessary to get married at your fiancee's local district office (amphur). We went to our local amphur where the silly bureaucrat refused to let us get married because we hadn't had our document translated at the same place as the previous farang-thai couple that had gotten married (we went to the translator suggested by the embassy). My husband figured she wanted money, I figured she was just an idiot. So, we went to the neighboring amphur and got married with absolutely no hassle.

I did choose to take my husbands name, but then he has a nice short name, I had already told him if he had one of those long polysyllabic names then there was no way!

After you get married you can then apply for a one year extension but you must have a non-immigrant visa first (3 months). Then, you can get the extension, which basically means, you don't have to ever leave the country if you don't feel like it, every year you just get a new extension. Good luck to you and don't forget to pay a visit to the farang women's forum, the more the merrier :o

The registration of the translated Embassy letter by the MFA makes it a legal document under international law (if previously married you will probably also need that paperwork to obtain Embassy paper - you should contact you Embassy here for full requirements). The document will be returned from the MFA with a registry number that can be verified by the Amphur; and often is. This, passport and maybe someone to provide translation of the marriage document you have to sign are all that will be required. You will be interviewed on your relationship for the paperwork.

If there is to be a home ceremony you can arrange for the Amphur official to attend and do the paperwork then and there for a small additional fee.

I assume you want to get married legally.

In Thailand the process is in 2 parts,

the legal part at the local Amphur office where your boyfriend is registered,

then the optional ceremonial part at home.

Please remember that you parents can ask for the bride price,

at least 100,000 baht plus some items of gold jewellery!!

For the ceremonial part you will need someone to act for you, if you parents or brothers cannot attend.  When I got married my wife's brothers gave her away, and two Thai friends acted on my behalf.

For the legal part you must obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, from your Embassy.  They will advise on the wording.  Basically it states that you are not married to anyone else.

The Affirmation must be translated into Thai.

Then certified as a true copy by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

These steps will take you several days!!

Then you can go to the Amphur to get married.

Thai women are no longer required to change their surname to that of the husband.

Anyway the Thai's could not insist in your case, as the change would have to be done at your embassy!!

Once you are married you can apply for a visa extension of One Year as a married person.  As a lady you will find it much easier that it is for us men. If you have children they will automatically get dual nationality.

Marriage does not permit you to own land in Thailand, you must be a citizen.

Read this forum for details of how to do that.

Good luck

I wonder whether the duplicated and gratuitous advice was altogether necessary here Astral. The smallest book in the world would be the foreign brides receiving Sin sot

Legalization Division , 3rd floor

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road

Bangkok 10210

Tel : 0-2575-1056-59    Fax : 0-2575-1054

Service hours : 08.30 - 14.30 hrs. (Closed on Saturday - Sunday and Public Holidays)

This is on Westbound lane West of Laksi Plaza just beyond the TOT and CAT hqs buildings.

Believe most people have the translation service take care of this to avoid trips.

Legalization Division , 3rd floor

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road

Bangkok 10210

Tel : 0-2575-1056-59     Fax : 0-2575-1054

Service hours : 08.30 - 14.30 hrs. (Closed on Saturday - Sunday and Public Holidays)

This is on Westbound lane West of Laksi Plaza just beyond the TOT and CAT hqs buildings.

Believe most people have the translation service take care of this to avoid trips.

Khor Suang Tang Pratet, in Thai.

Dr PP, I don't think my comment was gratuitous.

Thai brides expect a "bride price", why should a farang girl not require it as well.

Go for it Jingjingna.

Edited by astral