Getting a tourist visa with a one-way ticket?

I am american so will be using the DC embassy. Would the DC embassy accept this for my flight information they require: a one-way ticket from US to Thailand and also a ticket going from BKK airport to another nearby SEA country? For my ticket going from BKK to another country, can it be a round-trip, or would it have to be a one-way ticket? Can my ticket out of thailand be 90 days after my arrival date (for the 60 + 30 day extension), or does it have to be within 60 days of my arrival of thailand? Ideally, I'd like to have my ticket out of thailand be 90 days after my arrival.

Oh, another question, I may want to come without a visa and use the visa exemption option. How often do the people at the airport hassle people about onward flights? If its often, would a 60-day round-trip ticket going from bkk to saigon or laos suffice? Or does the onward travel ticket need to be a one-way out of thailand?

Edited by oskar55

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to show a round trip ticket out to a nearby country within 90 days for arrival to apply for the visa.

If entering visa exempt the airline will want to see a ticket out within 30 days.

How often does the airline ask for the onward ticket? IF they did ask to see onward ticket, would it be the airline at US or the airline at Japan? Usually my ticket is US to japan to bangkok when I search flights going from my airport to bkk. Also, can the onward ticket be a round-trip back to bangkok, or does it have to be a one-way ticket out of thailand? Can the onward ticket be 60 days, so I can extend my stay, or does it have to be 30 days or less?

On 11/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, oskar55 said:

How often does the airline ask for the onward ticket? IF they did ask to see onward ticket, would it be the airline at US or the airline at Japan? Usually my ticket is US to japan to bangkok when I search flights going from my airport to bkk. Also, can the onward ticket be a round-trip back to bangkok, or does it have to be a one-way ticket out of thailand? Can the onward ticket be 60 days, so I can extend my stay, or does it have to be 30 days or less?

Hi, I arrived last Sunday from Spain, and even though I bought a throwaway onward bound ticket, I wasn't asked for it either in Malaga airport or at airport immigration in BKK, and I didn't have a visa. Having said that, in the past I have been asked to show an onward bound ticket before boarding a flight to Thailand but never ben asked for one after arriving in BKK. I think it's probably best to always have one though. You never know. 

2 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Hi, I arrived last Sunday from Spain, and even though I bought a throwaway onward bound ticket, I wasn't asked for it either in Malaga airport or at airport immigration in BKK, and I didn't have a visa. Having said that, in the past I have been asked to show an onward bound ticket before boarding a flight to Thailand but never ben asked for one after arriving in BKK. I think it's probably best to always have one though. You never know. 

When applying for a 60 days tourist Visa at home,then the embassy/consulate requires a copy of the airline ticket showing both arrival and departure dates. When arriving at the airport in BKK and entering on a 30 days Visa exempt,you need an outbound ticket, one way is not accepted. Immigration might ask for it. 

My wife and I arrived here in November 2017 with a one way ticket and a 6 month METV. 

That bought us time to get everything we needed to get her a ED Visa.

I work outside of Thailand,  so no worries for me on that point

This is the thorny issue of POOT - proof of onward travel. I will test this on the 30th of this month with a one-way Sydney to Bangkok and Visa exemption on arrival.
I intend to arrive at the airport about 3 hours before the flight in case the check-in clerk asks for POOT. Then I'll buy a refundable or throw-away ticket.
My research suggest that it's the airline which checks this. In general Thai border officials don't look at this unless you are flagged for other reasons.

The reason for this is we are waiting for my fiancée's PMV 300 visa and I want to be flexible about when I return with her and our infant son born in Thailand who is now Australian. I was in Thailand for nearly 4 months recently and made 3 visa runs but I had a return ticket.

1 hour ago, chricha said:

This is the thorny issue of POOT - proof of onward travel. I will test this on the 30th of this month with a one-way Sydney to Bangkok and Visa exemption on arrival.
I intend to arrive at the airport about 3 hours before the flight in case the check-in clerk asks for POOT. Then I'll buy a refundable or throw-away ticket.
My research suggest that it's the airline which checks this. In general Thai border officials don't look at this unless you are flagged for other reasons.

The reason for this is we are waiting for my fiancée's PMV 300 visa and I want to be flexible about when I return with her and our infant son born in Thailand who is now Australian. I was in Thailand for nearly 4 months recently and made 3 visa runs but I had a return ticket.

The thread is about a 60 days tourist visa and if you can use a one way ticket, not about a 30 days Visa exempt. At most of the embassies/consulates overseas you need to show a purchased ticket with arrival and departure dates to obtain the visa. 

As a slight aside, before the evisa system started for at leat 2 years I came from the UK for the winter on a SETV with a return ticket returning 180/3 days later. I used to put on the form length of stay 60 days and leaving by bus. Has anyone obtained an SETV evisa with a 6 month's return ticket please?

Why do you keep talking about 'round trips'?  If you fly into BKK on a one way ticket and have another ticket to Vietnam, what do you mean by 'round trip' ticket to Vietnam?  You mean a return ticket from BKK to Vietnam?  Why would this matter?  In fact it might raise more questions as it looks like you're already planning a second trip to Thailand on a visa exempt.

You can fly on a one way ticket to BKK and make sure you have a one way ticket out to ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD inside 90 days.

13 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

Why do you keep talking about 'round trips'?  If you fly into BKK on a one way ticket and have another ticket to Vietnam, what do you mean by 'round trip' ticket to Vietnam?  You mean a return ticket from BKK to Vietnam?  Why would this matter?  In fact it might raise more questions as it looks like you're already planning a second trip to Thailand on a visa exempt.

You can fly on a one way ticket to BKK and make sure you have a one way ticket out to ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD inside 90 days.

This thread is still about a 60 days TR Visa and if it's possible to use a one way ticket. The answer is no if you apply for the visa in almost every country within the EU. A copy of a "purchased" ticket with arrival and departure dates are required. No such ticket,no visa. That requirement has existed a long long time. 

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

As a slight aside, before the evisa system started for at leat 2 years I came from the UK for the winter on a SETV with a return ticket returning 180/3 days later. I used to put on the form length of stay 60 days and leaving by bus. Has anyone obtained an SETV evisa with a 6 month's return ticket please?

I did it with 60+30 SETV, then 30 in Cambodia via air, then Thailand again for 30+30. No problems.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

I did it with 60+30 SETV, then 30 in Cambodia via air, then Thailand again for 30+30. No problems.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that it is easy to do once u have the initial SETV. But did u get that SETV from an evisa website application providing a 6 months return flight ticket for just a 60 day SETV?