Condominium committee meetings, parking, staff

pepi2005

The last thread on this topic seems to be from 2007, so bear with me to answer a few questions 'again' as certain regulations have changed since back then, but I'm not sure how much they affect this particular area.

• are committee meetings to be publicly announced so that interested co-owners can submit questions or even participate?
  • are co-owners basically allowed to join the meetings?
  • are they also allowed to 'speak up' or just to listen?
  • is there a requirement to openly post minutes of such meetings?

Also, how about staff changes? In our building, one staff member was quietly replaced, but without any information - so do I as a co-owner have to assume that 'new Thai faces' could also be staff members, do I have a right to get informed (maybe even of the background of staff changes) or is that completely up to the management?

Are co-owners allowed to get insight on book-keeping/accounting? I have experienced twice (not in our building, but anyway) that committees were too lenient in checking the books, each time resulting in huge accumulated money losses that were only detected when a new committee got in charge...

How about previous committee or AGM decisions - can a committee just overrule a previous AGM decision? Can they just ignore previous committee decisions? (like parking regulations, salary decisions re: staff etc.)

thanks, r.

I have served on a condo committee (in Bangkok) in the past; i think rules and practice vary from condo to condo but the following is my understanding of the situation, as per the order of your questions.

1) not usually and there is no obligation to do this but, its good practice and our condo certainly does and also  invites owners to submit issues for committee discussion, owners very rarely do btw. 

2) No; unless invited, which may sometimes happen. but everything depends on what is in the condo rules, check those out. 

3) as above, usually non committee members do not attend meetings.

4) i believe there is no such requirement but, again,its good practice and our condo produces a short summary of the main discussion points after each meeting.

on your other points why not just contact a committee member and ask them about the situation re staffing, they should know and they act on your behalf so he/she should be happy to provide you with an update (assuming there is no legal or confidentiality issues)

on the accounts, you will receive the audited accounts prior to the AGM and you have every right to go along and ask as many questions about these as you like.

In general decisions made at an AGM (if formally voted on)  are pretty sacrosanct and could not be overruled by a committee. The only situation in which this might happen, that i can think of,  is if the AGM decision was found to have been against the law for whatever reason or conflicted with the condo rule book in some way. 

The Juristic person also has reserved powers (under Thai condominium law) and they can overrule things that they deem could potentially damage the fundamental interests of the  Condo eg building structure or safety .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, Henryford said:

I can't imagine why any condo would not check the accounts to ensure there were no obvious accounting scams.

Unless, of course, Committee members were in on such obvious (or more subtle) scams.

Edited by wpcoe