Will I be allowed in? Told I need 12 month visa?

On 11/8/2019 at 12:49 AM, Matzzon said:

If you get a TV, then you will not need any hotel booking or return ticket, but you will instead need a minimum of 20k in cash if asked.

He will require a hotel booking and return ticket just to get the visa issued surely?

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:13 AM, treetops said:

He will require a hotel booking and return ticket just to get the visa issued surely?

Up to others what they do but I always have at least 20k cash and a return ticket. I don't have hotel bookings as I don't need them. If I had any problems at the airport I would also refuse to sign the form they try to use to deny entry - I believe that form is an admission that you don't have the required 20k.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Up to others what they do but I always have at least 20k cash and a return ticket. I don't have hotel bookings as I don't need them.

Eh?  In the circumstances being discussed, if the OP didn't have a hotel booking he wouldn't be issued the visa.  Same for the return ticket.  The 20K on entry is agreed above.

Please don't use your situation to muddy the waters.

18 hours ago, treetops said:

Please don't use your situation to muddy the waters

I'm not trying to 'muddy the waters', I'm simply advising of what I do as I also enter regularly and have the same concerns. It is not necessary to have a hotel booking to get a METV - I don't have any bookings. As I have a home in Thailand I simply supply a copy of my usufruct. The OP states he has friends in Thailand, he could be staying with them - in which case a letter from them will suffice. My point is that as long as you provide evidence of where you are staying, its OK - you do not have to have hotel bookings.

OP - reading your post again illustrates my earlier point in that I.O.'s are inconsistent and don't know or administer the rules correctly.  The I.O.I talked to when I left last week said I could stay for a total of 180 days in the year. Your stays are nowhere near 180 days yet you were told to get a 12 moth visa???? This is why I worry every time I enter and the reason why I've changed my flight times. I now arrive in the morning rather than the evening - the reason being so I can call my lawyer if I am denied and not be locked up for the night.

I've now asked Immigration to clarify the entry situation 3 times and all I ever get is "you should be OK" - apart from investing £500 or so in an air ticket, I have a fair amount of ties to Thailand so being denied would be a major problem. They told me it wasn't people like me they were looking for but your story seems to say otherwise. You may stay longer but you visit less. No consitency whatsoever.

Edited by KhaoYai

23 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Just to correct the above - to stay with freinds in Thailand you also need to provide a recent copy of their utiity bill as evidence.

Thanks for the info but initially I will be staying in a hotel (also cosidering a condo for a month but same same).

After reading the many replies on this thread I am definatley going to apply for a SETV ...... what amount of money do I need to show on my bank statement (I know it's £10k for METV) but what about SETV?

Also seriously considering entering via CNX as it seems the IO's are more reasonable there.

Carrying 20k THB with a hotel booking and retun ticket is no problem.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, mikesalaugh said:

After reading the many replies on this thread I am definatley going to apply for a SETV ...... what amount of money do I need to show on my bank statement (I know it's £10k for METV) but what about SETV?

Its actually £5000 at the beginning and end of each of the last 6 month's bank statements for a METV,

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/tourist-visa-multiple-tr.php

The consulate at Hull doesn't actually state what funds are required for a SETV - just that you have to provide a copy of a bank statement or proof of earnings. I'm guessing from that that they just want to know you're working.

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/tourist-visa-single-tr.php

I have found them to be very flexible at Hull if, on balance you are a genuine visitor and convince them you are working/have the funds to look after yourself.

I suggest you give them a ring to clarify the financial requirement for a SETV.

You can of course apply to the Embassy in London but again, they don't stipulate the required income.  Also, applications to London must be done online so if for some reason they didn't consider your finances to be sufficient, there is a possibility you could be refused - I've never known a computer to show any flexibility ????.

Interesting reading through the Embassy's requirements for tourist visas - they state the purpose of the visit can be for a 'short visit to family living in Thailand'. And in the requirements for a METV (for the purpose of visiting family) they ask for a copy of a marriage certificate so clearly they include wives in 'family living in Thailand'.

A few years ago when I was married, on passing through immigration at Suvarnabhumi I was told I would not be allowed to enter again on an exempt and that I should get a Non O based on marriage. I was specifically told that I should not get a tourist visa as they did consider the purpose of my visit to be tourism. Yet here is the Royal Thai Embassy stating that those visiting their wives can use a tourist visa.  More inconsistency and differing stories/application of the rules by I'O's.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its actually £5000 at the beginning and end of each of the last 6 month's bank statements for a METV,

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/tourist-visa-multiple-tr.php

The consulate at Hull doesn't actually state what funds are required for a SETV - just that you have to provide a copy of a bank statement or proof of earnings. I'm guessing from that that they just want to know you're working.

It’s a minimum balance of the equivalent of 20K baht. They don’t need proof that you’re working,

have found them to be very flexible at Hull if, on balance you are a genuine visitor and convince them you are working/have the funds to look after yourself.

Hull are excellent, I used them for years. However their flexibility has got them in trouble over the years, which is why they’re now closely managed by London.

Interesting reading through the Embassy's requirements for tourist visas - they state the purpose of the visit can be for a 'short visit to family living in Thailand'. And in the requirements for a METV (for the purpose of visiting family) they ask for a copy of a marriage certificate so clearly they include wives in 'family living in Thailand'.

A few years ago when I was married, on passing through immigration at Suvarnabhumi I was told I would not be allowed to enter again on an exempt and that I should get a Non O based on marriage. I was specifically told that I should not get a tourist visa as they did consider the purpose of my visit to be tourism. Yet here is the Royal Thai Embassy stating that those visiting their wives can use a tourist visa.  More inconsistency and differing stories/application of the rules by I'O's.

In this case the IO is correct. If you’re visiting your wife/family the reason is clearly not tourism.

Until the visa application system is fully automated or centrally processed there will remain a disconnect between the consular services and immigration; as the former (particularly consulates like Hull) seem only interested in the income from selling visas.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

In this case the IO is correct. If you’re visiting your wife/family the reason is clearly not tourism.

That was also my understanding but.........why does the Royal Thai Embassy in London state that tourist visas are available for those wishing to visit their wife in Thailand?

If that is wrong, technically someone could obtain a tourist visa for that purpose and then be denied entry in Thailand.

Tourist Visa 

Requirement

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for the purpose of (1) tourism, (2) short visit to family living in Thailand, (3) medical treatment with registered hospitals, and (4) participating in MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) supported by TCEB.

For other purposes than tourism and medical treatment, visitors to Thailand must apply for Non-Immigrant visas.

For visiting or staying with family resided in Thailand (less than 60 days)

• A current passport with validity not less than 6 months beyond the date of depature from Thailand and at least 2 blank pages. Applicants must fill in online visa application with their given name(s) and surname as appear in their passports.
  • Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter from a third party
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand e.g. ID card, passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand 
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Proof of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

Edited by KhaoYai

The above is important because 12 month Multi Non O's are no longer available in the UK - including applications based on marriage to a Thai national. Someone visiting their wife can only obtain a single entry Non o, so would need a fresh visa for every visit. Whereas a METV would allow multiple visits within a 6 month period - much cheaper.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

That was also my understanding but.........why does the Royal Thai Embassy in London state that tourist visas are available for those wishing to visit their wife in Thailand?

If that is wrong, technically someone could obtain a tourist visa for that purpose and then be denied entry in Thailand.

Tourist Visa 

Requirement

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for the purpose of (1) tourism, (2) short visit to family living in Thailand, (3) medical treatment with registered hospitals, and (4) participating in MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) supported by TCEB.

For other purposes than tourism and medical treatment, visitors to Thailand must apply for Non-Immigrant visas.

For visiting or staying with family resided in Thailand (less than 60 days)

• A current passport with validity not less than 6 months beyond the date of depature from Thailand and at least 2 blank pages. Applicants must fill in online visa application with their given name(s) and surname as appear in their passports.
  • Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter from a third party
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand e.g. ID card, passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand 
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Proof of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

The whole system is messed up. I don't know how they get away with issuing a tourist visa for family visits. They have introduced this since dropping the ME Non O.

25 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The whole system is messed up. I don't know how they get away with issuing a tourist visa for family visits. They have introduced this since dropping the ME Non O.

You got that right. As I pointed out in another thread - my mate who works in Iraq has a wife and home in Thailand. He currently returns home on a 12 month Multi Non O from Savannakhet but if and when they go over to E-Visa, that probably will no longer be available.  Another problem when they go over to E-Visa is that applicants must either be a citizen of that country or have legal residence there, so he couldn't even get a single entry Non O. A marriage extension won't work for him either due to the amount of time he needs to be in the country to obtain one.

I spoke to the Thai Embassy in London on his behalf and they said he would have to fly to the UK, obtain a single entry there and then fly to Thailand to visit his wife. He works 60 days and gets 28 off on rotation so he would have to do that every time - madness!

If it was the UK Border Force making such rules in similar circumstances, I would think it was deliberate - trying to stop people on extensions from avoiding the income requirements by going over to a multi. In this case, I don't think they are that clever, I don't think they thought this through when introducing the new system/rules.

Messed up mak mak!

Edited by KhaoYai

certainly should not be getting a 1 year visa .
He far from living in thailand and basically OI giving him a hard time for nothing .

Suppose best he could is a METV but for price and hassle not much benefit over SETV or trying luck visa exempt .

Technically shouldn't have an issue visa exempt few times a year with his sort of duration and gaps between travel but real issue is way IO's at BKK airport reacting to these cases, totally unjust totally variable rules and wrong/poor advise on what visas should be used .

Edited by BuckBee

When you apply for a visa using E visa, you cannot select any type of visa. It is impossible. You select a reason to visit. If you select visiting your wife (Visiting or staying with family resided in Thailand) for less than 60 days,  the system selects a tourist visa. You can then select either single or multiple entry. The rest of the application is then simply for applying for one of those tourist visas.
If you select visiting your wife for more than 60 days, the system selects a 90 day single entry Non O visa. The rest of application then pertains to that particular type of visa. There are no multiple entry Non Immigrant visas issued in the UK.

visiting 1.jpg

Screenshot_20191116-205858_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190622-114400_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Lovethailandelite

17 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

Technically shouldn't have an issue visa exempt few times a year

Technically yes, but just as I was a couple of years ago - on one entry last year he was warned that he would not be allowed in next time unless he got a Non O. He did so but now faces the prospect of that coming to an end if Laos goes over to E-Visa.

Incidentally, whilst you may be correct that he is not technically living in Thailand and therefore shouldn't get a 12 month (I presume you mean extension). Last week I asked Immigration at the airport about his case and they suggested an extension.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

And I have explained to you and others why London will issue a Tourist visa for visiting family for a less than 60 day visit. You select a stay of less than 60 days, you get issued a tourist visa. You don't get a choice

I understand what you are saying. The point is that both myself and a friend have previously been told, by Thai Immigration at Suvarnabhumi, that if you are visiting your wife, they do not consider you to be a tourist and therefore should not enter on a tourist visa - that was confirmed again as being correct just last week. That is at odds with the information on the Thai Embassy website.

• 1 month later...