Will I be allowed in? Told I need 12 month visa?

Last visit to Thailand I enterd via Suvarnabhumi (I have always entered there) I was allowed in but told by the IO that next time I will need a 12 month visa.
Will this of been entered on the computer system that I was told to get 12 month visa next time?

I'm just about to book another visit to Asia for the End of January 2020 (around the 29th).
My plan is to spend 10 or 12 days in the Philippines and then fly to BKK (or should I try to enter elsewhere) to enter Thailand around 7th Feb to stay for about 28 days.

I'll give some detailed info here to make it easier for your advice.

I am from the U.K and have always entered visa exempt (30 day stamp).
The last 2 years I have visited 3 times per year, prior to that it was twice a year.
No overstays - No girlfriend, I just know some friends I have met over the years.

------------------------------------------
Entry history last 2 years:-

8th Feb 2018 - 1 March 2018 (22 days in Thailand)

(9 weeks 6 days out of Thailand)
9th May 2018 - 6 June 2018 - (29 days in Thailand)

(12 weeks out of Thailand)
29 August 2018 - 29 August 2018 - 4 hours in Thailand (in transit to Cambodia) -  but another stamp in the passport.
5 Sept 2018 - 27 September 2018 - (23 days in Thailand)

(16 weeks 6 days out of Thailand)
23rd January 2019 - 20 Feb 2019 (29 days in Thailand)

(10 weeks 3 days out of Thailand)
3rd May 2019 - 30 May 2019 (27 days in Thailand)

(12 weeks 6 days out of Thailand)
28th August 2019 - left 8 Oct 2019 (42 days in Thailand) - extended visa whilst there.
-----------------------------------------

I  will of been out of Thailand 17 weeks and 3 days when I try to re-enter.

I have never worked or looked for work in Thailand, I am self employed in the U.K and have no intentions of doing anything other than visiting as often as time allows. I feel I am a tourist (3 times a year) but I guess immigration don't see it that way.

So what should be my plan be to get allowed in again guys?

I realise I have been in visa exempt every time, so would getting a SETV make it easier (even though I won't be staying longer than 30 days)?
Should I try a different entry point to start with?

If I fly in to BKK from Manila and get refused I guess I would be sent back to Manila (My flight ticket would be LHR - MNL - LHR) or would I get sent back to U.K? Would I then get a stamp in my passport saying entry refused? If so could I still try to enter from another point within a few days? Or is that game over?

• Haha 2

I think you should be fine on another VE. From your history it is pretty clear you are not living or working in thailand.  My recent history is much longer than yours and I got in with a VE a few weeks ago without any questions other than 'next time you get a visa please' and a smile from the male IO.

If you want to be extra safe, pay one of the agents for the fast track lane and go to a male IO at swampy.

Also no harm in getting a SETV from the UK if you live near London (good luck with the online evisa process tho it's pretty retarded and frustrating)

Edited by Hackney35
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

getting a one year visa doesn't make sense. They seem to be pushing the non imm O for the over 50s, assuming you are

Yes indeed, I am 54.

From my understanding you now need the Thai medical insurance for a non imm O (is that correct)?

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Looking at your history and what you've been told by the I/O, you will get bounced if you try to come back in on a visa exempt.

Get a one year visa.

A one year visa based on retirement when he doesn't want to live in LOS? Seems a tad excessive.

Sorry to say, but the immigration do seem to be going out of their way to make farangs stay away, unless it's just one visa exempt a year.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A one year visa based on?????????

Retirement perhaps?

The OP may well indeed be a genuine tourist but in today's overly sensitive IO world, that may not seem apparent, as one IO has already pointed out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikesalaugh said:

So what should be my plan be to get allowed in again guys?

Just see to that you are prepared if you try the exempt entry way again. You arm yourself with hotel booking the first or first nights, minimum 10k in cash and an already booked return ticket home. 

If you get a TV, then you will not need any hotel booking or return ticket, but you will instead need a minimum of 20k in cash if asked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

getting a one year visa doesn't make sense. They seem to be pushing the non imm O for the over 50s, assuming you are

The retirement visa is what over 50's should be on if they are coming to Thailand often. Makes total sense what the IO told the OP. He is living in Thailand as an over 50's without a visa, let alone a correct via if over 50.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you get denied they send you back where you came from. If you flew from Kuala Lumpur you could still get in via the land border. In your case, I think it's a roll of dice. You should have a Thai lawyer contact number saved as he might be able to let you in if denied since you are a genuine tourist. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikesalaugh said:

How can I be living in Thailand? I travel 3 times a year for R+R and have job in the U.K where I spend the other 9 months of the year. 3 seperate visits to Thailand surely does not mean I'm living or working there.

It seems as though more than two visits per year, without a visa, sparks IO interest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikesalaugh said:

How can I be living in Thailand? I travel 3 times a year for R+R and have job in the U.K where I spend the other 9 months of the year. 3 seperate visits to Thailand surely does not mean I'm living or working there.

It doesn't matter to the IO. Actually, you are living in Thailand 100 days a year. You are spending too much time in Thailand and coming here multiple times a year staying a long time every year. That's why the IO told you to get a retirement visa due to your history.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hackney35 said:

I think you should be fine on another VE. From your history it is pretty clear you are not living or working in thailand.  My recent history is much longer than yours and I got in with a VE a few weeks ago without any questions   than 'next time you get a visa please' and a smile from the male IO.

If you want to be extra safe, pay one of the agents for the fast track lane and go to a male IO at swampy.

Also no harm in getting a SETV from the UK if you live near London (good luck with the online evisa process tho it's pretty retarded and frustrating)

You mention getting a MALE IO at swampy, Ive always tried to charm the ladies, do u feel the male choice is the way to go...cos thats the FIRST time Ive heard of a IO saying PLEASE.....please elaborate on this.. tnx ????

OP, I wouldn't bother to get a tourist visa in your case, for your next stay of 28 days.

Have your return flight booked before you enter Thailand, make sure to fill in the departure part of the arrival card accordingly and have the confirmation ready in case they question you again (I'd say it's unlikely, based on your history). Also have a hotel booking and the required "pocket money" in cash.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

If you get denied they send you back where you came from. If you flew from Kuala Lumpur you could still get in via the land border. In your case, I think it's a roll of dice. You should have a Thai lawyer contact number saved as he might be able to let you in if denied since you are a genuine tourist. 

A lawyer?? Seriously??

That would make the holiday a whole lot more expensive.

If the OP is seriously concerned flying into ChiangMai from Malaysia ( if that's possible ) might add a day

A tourist visa from London plus carrying cash a hotel booking and flight out would be cheaper than a lawyer.

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

The retirement visa is what over 50's should be on if they are coming to Thailand often. Makes total sense what the IO told the OP. He is living in Thailand as an over 50's without a visa, let alone a correct via if over 50.

But with only single entry (90 day stay) available it may not be cost effective...... or appropriate for his one month visits x 3.

13 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

You mention getting a MALE IO at swampy, Ive always tried to charm the ladies, do u feel the male choice is the way to go...cos thats the FIRST time Ive heard of a IO saying PLEASE.....please elaborate on this.. tnx ????

It was more an order than a polite please!

From the history of refusals on here it felt like the lady IO's were typically involved in dragging people off. Personally I've been lucky and never had an issue with IOs. Maybe not looking like a begpacker helps!

Sounds like you have the necessary charm to get the middle aged female IOs moist for some falang ????

• Thanks 1

All of the I.O.s give different stories and none of them appear to fully understand the rules - whether they be official or unofficial.

Case in point: I travel to Thailand every eight weeks and stay for approximately 2 weeks. I've been doing that for quite a few years on a variety of visas and exempt entries. For the last 12 months I've entered on 2 more or less back to back METV's and have not had any problems other than a few occasions when the I.O. has studied my entry stamps closely.

However, every time I read a story about someone being turned back I worry and have now asked Immigration what my position is likely to be 3 times. Each time the officer has looked at my stamps and said I'm fine as I leave after 14-16 days. On Wednesday evening after going through immigration on my way back to the UK I went to the Immigration counter and asked again as I've been told (unofficially) that I am unlikely to get another METV when mine runs out in December.  I'll be travelling to Thailand in January and I'm hoping to enter on a 30 day exempt and again 5 weeks later for a friend's wedding - hopefully exempt again.  After a little breathing space I plan on applying for another METV.  The (female) I.O. I spoke to seemed very vague but said I'll be fine as what they are looking for is people who exceed 180 days in a year (I don't) and people who have overstayed. She also stated that due to the amount of entry/exit stamps in my passport, it would be better if I avoided land borders (I rarely use them). She advised me that I will be OK on visa exempt entries in January and March as the 180 days resets on 31 December. I don't trust that - I'll do an exempt in January but I'll get a new METV for the March trip.

During the conversation I mentioned a friend who travels in and out a lot - he's married and up until now has entered on a 12 month Multi Entry Non Immigrant visa based on marriage.  His visa is almost up and if he applies for a new one in the UK he will only be granted a 3 month one as UK applications must now be done online and the 12 month Non O (marriage) is not available with online applications.  This officer said that 12 month Non O's have been stopped at all embassies and consulates and only 3 month ones were available regardless of where the application is made.  I haven't read TV for a while but as far as I know that is untrue and only the 3 embassies/consulates that have converted to online applications have stopped the 12 month Non O's. To the best of my knowledge, unless things have changed recently, Savannakhet in Laos certainly still offers 12 month Multi O's based on marriage.

The Non O based on marriage has nothing to do with you, I realise that, my point is to illustrate that even the I.O's don't know the rules or what is going on. All I can advise you is to make sure you have the required amount of cash on you + a return ticket. It wouldn't do you any harm to have some credible documentation proving that you work in the UK as the suspicion seems to be that those that enter often, do border runs and stay more or less long term are entering to work in the black economy.

In your case I would certainly invest a a METV.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

"This officer said that 12 month Non O's have been stopped at all embassies and consulates and only 3 month ones were available regardless of where the application is made".

This may not be 100% true today, the point is that IO understands that is in the process of happening perhaps? If you wanted to implement phase II of this health insurance program and extend it to other visa types, it would make sense to cut off the escape route for O-A's who are looking for a way out.

8 hours ago, Tayaout said:

@KhaoYai The IO told you to avoid land border. That's not true unless you try to use Poipet. Most denial of entry are at airport. Getting denied at the airport means detention and the need to purchase an expensive last minute flight ticket to where you came from. Being denied at a land border means simply walking back where you came from. 

Most denials are at the airport are because that’s currently the entry point of choice for most serial tourists. I’m already hearing about an increase in denials at the borders, and that will increase further as serial tourists switch back to land crossings.

• Confused 1