Bilingual schooling planned to boost English proficiency

snoop1130

57 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I like the Romanian version better. The first one sounds belittling. 

Well, you have to give the Thai printer the credit, the Romanian only seconded it ????

I compressed the story a bit. We actually had two matching slogans, one for the boys range and one for the girls:

"You are Only a Little Boy Once"

"You are Only a Little Girl Once"

Differentiating by gender made sense in terms of how they presented the two ranges and somehow sounds a tad cuter too, which is what this ridiculous brand is all about.

I do not know if you are a native speaker but, ideally, a slogan in English should convey the idea as a native speaker would currently say it, as simply as possible, no frills, no archaic sentence formation. The problem with saying "You are Once Only a Little Boy" is that, to a native speaker, it conveys a radically different idea.

Now, of course, as simple word sounds, it may sound better and, clearly, to Thai ears it did. If they wanted, however, to put potential buyers in mind of that perfect photo moment, my version conveyed that specific idea.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkokians ranked highest for English proficiency, followed by residents of Nonthaburi, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri and Khon Kaen.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Khon Kaen. If they know English, they are too shy to use it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, while one might blame the school programs etc. there also has to be some motivation on the student's side too. I have friend's with children but in two cases while the parents have told me the children have their English Language homework to do, never once in several years have they asked to practice on or with me. Having said that, I have never offered either.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The aim is to develop children’s language skills so the country can be more competitive in international fields, he said.

So stop employing Thai teachers who have no capacity for teaching English after leaving University training.

Stop employing foreign teachers whose language skills are less than adequate.
Start by raising the standards of teachers and the students may have half a chance at a decent education.

Past years have seen an endless supply of the no-fail Thai system passing off new teachers as qualified, and an endless stream of foreign teachers who cannot speak the English language enough to teach it.

17 hours ago, Fred white said:

Hope they do better than some of these private schools I've got grand kids that go to a school that advertises English in all classes and there's a sign when you drive in that says English only . They can barely hold a conversation

Some of the best teachers l have met did not have a degree for teaching but are very good with students. Not all teachrrs w

Ith degrees ca

N teach. 

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Looking on ajarn dot com you'll see literally hundreds of Filipinos looking for work as teachers. Most, judging by appearance I would not hire. Pretty much all the westerners I would not hire.

Pay 30 to 35,000 Baht which is the same salary offered 15 years ago and you are not going to get many people wanting to work for this type of money.

In my opinion, Teachers from the Philippines are great "Early Years" teachers" They are diligent and take the job seriously, probably because they are earning a lot more money than they could back home. I think that they are ok up to 4th year in Pratom (Primary School), but their English Skills are just not good enough to teach year 5 and above. This is a generalization and I have  met a few that are very good but most that I have met and worked with are not.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chazar said:

surprised  they  dont  think  the  rest of  the  world  should  speak Thai

I am sure that the Pocket General made some statement about Thai becoming a world language within 20 years

18 hours ago, Momofarang said:

On the Subcontinent obviously, there there are as many English speakers as in the rest of the World.

Yeah.  You really want your child to speak English like a Bangladeshi curry stall waiter?

• Like 1

Just in case somebody reads this ........

Thais love cartoons and watch them daily for hours; specially kids to keep them quiet. Instead of voice-overing this cartoons let them run in their original version of Japanese and English.

Once the kiddies hit 10 years of age they are fluent in English and Japanese spoken and understanding English. 

Rocket science?