Another TM30 question

Does anyone know "positively" [I know this is a ludicrous statement in the LOS] if we have a night away from our registered place,do we need to go and report to immigration? I was told a few weeks ago by an immigration officer that we do but I read on TV last night in a post that it has reverted to "only if we leave the country and return" which was what I was told by the same immigration officer six months before all the latest "crackdown B.S.".

Edited by findlay13

Here at Ubon, I have done two trips where I stayed at hotels (BKK) and came back and did my TM30 check in at Immigration locally within 24 hours. So "YES" to be safe and not get fined. Good Luck.      ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank fellas.The info I got was from the Ubon office so I guess I better do it.I put off a trip because of this stupid rule.I used to often go for a night in Khonkaen,Nakon Phanom or where ever then return next day but now it'll take a morning at immigration afterwards I'll need to re think.If I go it will be a few days at a time [or not at all!]

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I was at CW Bangkok 3 weeks ago and they confirmed that there is no longer a requirement to do a TM30 report when you travel within Thailand, only when you exit and re-enter Thailand. This would apply to all immigration offices. Any problems refer them to head office in Bangkok. You just download the Section 38 app on your smart phone in order to do the TM30 reporting. The first time you apply you will get a user name and password. Once you have that you do not need to visit immigration. You can also do your 90 day report online.

Thanks Estrada, this is good news .I hope it gets through to the Ubon office!.It's no hassle to visit immigration to do my registration when I arrive or an extension but to report with a signature from the owner of the house I rent every time I wish to do an overnight trip is.for instance I was planning a night or two away next week but the owner is going away for a week so wont be available to sign

to say I'm back until the week after.Very inconvenient. 

Edited by findlay13

7 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Thank fellas.The info I got was from the Ubon office so I guess I better do it.I put off a trip because of this stupid rule.I used to often go for a night in Khonkaen,Nakon Phanom or where ever then return next day but now it'll take a morning at immigration afterwards I'll need to re think.If I go it will be a few days at a time [or not at all!]

As @Estrada mentioned already > downloading the Section 38 app, or registering on the IO TM30 website will allow you to file a TM30 on-line.  Registering on the website and filing your first report is not difficult at all (provided you have clear instructions on how to do it).  Once it has been set-up and first report filed, later reports are a piece of cake and take less than 1 minute.

PM me if you need more info on how to register.

Note: There are rumours that proof of having a TM30 filed, will not be required anymore.  But at the moment it is still required, and non-compliance enforced at some provincial IOs. 

• Thanks 1

How much is the fine? I have never filed a TM30 and have been away both in Thailand and out many times. Does anyone know if you only get fined once or for every event.

The TM30 thing was just bubbling up when I last did my extension....last March and I was worried I might have to pay. After the extension was granted my Mrs asked the IO about it. He said we didn't have to file anything however 8 or 9 months have passed so maybe he is singing a different tune now?????

It costs me about 700 baht in gasoline to get there and back to the local immigration. Whatever the fine is, I would save 700 baht every time, I didn't go.

Edited by Pedrogaz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Estrada said:

I was at CW Bangkok 3 weeks ago and they confirmed that there is no longer a requirement to do a TM30 report when you travel within Thailand, only when you exit and re-enter Thailand.

I hope all those people who got fined months ago when it was apparently obligatory, can now go and get a refund!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

How much is the fine? I have never filed a TM30 and have been away both in Thailand and out many times. Does anyone know if you only get fined once or for every event.

The TM30 thing was just bubbling up when I last did my extension....last March and I was worried I might have to pay. After the extension was granted my Mrs asked the IO about it. He said we didn't have to file anything however 8 or 9 months have passed so maybe he is singing a different tune now?????

It costs me about 700 baht in gasoline to get there and back to the local immigration. Whatever the fine is, I would save 700 baht every time, I didn't go.

1. The fine when you are not in compliance with TM30 is between 800 and 2.000 THB, and you are only fined once and that would be for the fact that your current address is not on file.

TM 30 is ONLY checked when you visit your provincial IO for a service that requires your current address (e.g. extension of stay, residence permit),

Note: Your history of TM30 filings is not checked because your TM30s could have been filed manually at another provincial IO, resulting in gaps on the IO TM30 database which they are able to consult.

2. Not all provincial IOs enforce TM30, and even if your provincial IO did not in the past that can change overnight.

3. Making trips to your provincial IO to file your TM30 after each domestic trip is a pain, and actually not necessary because never checked if you foresee to do additional trips before being required to visit your provincial IO (see 1.).

However, in your case - considering the distance to your provincial IO - it would be worthwhile to register the place you are staying on the IO TM30 website or via the Section 38 app, so that you can file your TM30 on-line.  Registering and filing the first TM30 is not difficult at all (if you have the right instructions how to do it).  Having done that, filing subsequent TM30s is a piece of cake and takes less than a minute.

Edited by Peter Denis

3 hours ago, dauu said:

I've read before

that if you're traveling and sleeping outside the house in the same district.
No new reporting is needed.

If your provincial IO does not enforce TM30, it doesn't matter at all whether you filed a TM30 or not.  But even if they do not enforce it now or weeks/months past, they can change that practice overnight.

When you sleep outside the house - whether it is in the same district/province or not - is of no relevance when that place does NOT file a TM30 of you having stayed there.  IO will never know that you stayed there, when no TM30 was filed.

However,

IF they DID file a TM30 of you staying there, and

IF your provincial IO enforces TM30 compliance

then you would need to ensure that a current TM30 is on file when visiting your provincial IO.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, Peter Denis said:

As @Estrada mentioned already > downloading the Section 38 app, or registering on the IO TM30 website will allow you to file a TM30 on-line.  Registering on the website and filing your first report is not difficult at all (provided you have clear instructions on how to do it).  Once it has been set-up and first report filed, later reports are a piece of cake and take less than 1 minute.

PM me if you need more info on how to register.

Note: There are rumours that proof of having a TM30 filed, will not be required anymore.  But at the moment it is still required, and non-compliance enforced at some provincial IOs. 

Thanks for that offer Peter, but I'm a dinosaur and ,believe it or not, I use an old flip up phone not a "smarter than me" touch phone.I might go to the local office in the next couple of days and see if I can get it on my missus's phone.Another problem is that I'm here for 2 or three months then gone for 3 or 4 .I  have then  been fronting at the local office when I return,which has been relatively pain free.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

1. The fine when you are not in compliance with TM30 is between 800 and 2.000 THB, and you are only fined once and that would be for the fact that your current address is not on file.

TM 30 is ONLY checked when you visit your provincial IO for a service that requires your current address (e.g. extension of stay, residence permit),

Note: Your history of TM30 filings is not checked because your TM30s could have been filed manually at another provincial IO, resulting in gaps on the IO TM30 database which they are able to consult.

2. Not all provincial IOs enforce TM30, and even if your provincial IO did not in the past that can change overnight.

3. Making trips to your provincial IO to file your TM30 after each domestic trip is a pain, and actually not necessary because never checked if you foresee to do additional trips before being required to visit your provincial IO (see 1.).

However, in your case - considering the distance to your provincial IO - it would be worthwhile to register the place you are staying on the IO TM30 website or via the Section 38 app, so that you can file your TM30 on-line.  Registering and filing the first TM30 is not difficult at all (if you have the right instructions how to do it).  Having done that, filing subsequent TM30s is a piece of cake and takes less than a minute.

Thank you very much. Very clear now. I have avoided the on line thing, because everything I have tried to do on line with immigration ends in failure. 

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thank you very much. Very clear now. I have avoided the on line thing, because everything I have tried to do on line with immigration ends in failure. 

I understand your scepticism, but I can assure you that doing TM30 filings on-line works fine.

Registering on the website and filing your very first TM30 is rather complex if you have to find it out yourself using the typical thai non-existing guidance and cryptic thai-language notes.

However, I wrote a How to Do It step-by-step instruction and will PM that to you.

Using that instruction it will take approx 30 min to register, and 30 min to file your very first TM30.

After that it's a piece of cake, and done in minutes.

Note: The instruction is for registering/filing TM30s on the website, and not for the App (don't know how that works).