A lawn sprinkler solution

bankruatsteve

Just thought to pass on a fix for using the type of sprinkler shown below.  I really like the coverage it can provide although, in my case, mains pressure is not adequate and needs the bore hole pump.  The other issue is getting the damn thing stable using the ground spike.  If the dirt isn't too hard, it goes in OK but after a while will work loose making the spray pattern unpredictable.  If the ground is hard, it is easy to bend the spike and after repeated use of the same hole, it also works loose.

My solution was to use some left over steel (23mm square) cut to about 20cm.  I banged that into the ground at the 3 positions that will cover my lawn.  This needs to be done in steps removing the dirt buildup inside and ending with the vacated tube flush to the surface.  Then, it's just a matter of inserting the sprinkler and turning on the water.  It keeps position without wobble.

If you don't have left over steel, the local supplier might cut a piece for you but, if not, the full 6m shouldn't be more than about B150.  

Sprinkler.jpg

Good solution.

If you bash the end of the tube that's going into the ground flat (and weld it up if you like) you shouldn't need to remove any earth from inside (and the taper will make it easier to get in too). 

Do use a bit of wood to protect the top of the tube from getting burred by the hammer during insertion.

Didn't think of that.  The open end does leave a place to poke it for a bit more stability though.  The other thing I did was pore primer through the tube and hopefully protect from premature rusting.

Oh, and it helps to mark the location.  I "lost" one for two days until I got the grass sheers out and cut down to the bud to find it.

Global sells excellent pre cut with a needle point spike square steel pieces.

In varying lengths from 150mm to 300mm.

At first i thought thry were setting out pins but realised they were actually spikes and "S" loops for making railings.

I bought halfa dozen just because i knew they would be useful for something...17/20bt each i think.

10mm square section.

Archived