Dead Baby On Channel 7

garro

Are you serious? I would feel much safer walking the streets in Thailand than any street in the west. Despite their protection from pictures of the dead many in the west have zero problem inflicting violence on others. You don't hear of many Thai children going on the rampage with guns in their schools.

I will say if Thai kids had a generous access to handguns, it would have happened here already.

In the village wher I live there are guns everywhere. I imagine this is the same elsewhere in Thailand.

Have you ever seen Thai kids play

It's all about smacking each other on the head or shooting or martial arts. Media generated fantasies being acted out.

I have taught in pratom and mathyom in BKK and rural areas and haven't noticed this. The favorite game I see played is football

If you believe compassion is greater here than in the west, you are welcome to that opinion. I can think of many, places in my Canadian homeland where comparibly, there is very little violent crime.

Profiting from others grief is all those pictures are about.

Are you serious? I would feel much safer walking the streets in Thailand than any street in the west. Despite their protection from pictures of the dead many in the west have zero problem inflicting violence on others. You don't hear of many Thai children going on the rampage with guns in their schools.

I will say if Thai kids had a generous access to handguns, it would have happened here already.

In the village wher I live there are guns everywhere. I imagine this is the same elsewhere in Thailand.

Have you ever seen Thai kids play

It's all about smacking each other on the head or shooting or martial arts. Media generated fantasies being acted out.

I have taught in pratom and mathyom in BKK and rural areas and haven't noticed this. The favorite game I see played is football

If you believe compassion is greater here than in the west, you are welcome to that opinion. I can think of many, places in my Canadian homeland where comparibly, there is very little violent crime.

Profiting from others grief is all those pictures are about.

That’s funny, in my wife’s village they had all their guns taken away. Surely you mean there are some guns in your village, everywhere might be a bit overstated.

In America guns are actually everywhere, the gun crime there is representative of that.

But this is a bunny trail. You are on the side defending images of violence as a deterrent to more violence. I say this only makes us less sensitive. Obviously your years in palliative care has desensitized you as well. I don’t imagine any of the families of your former clients were looking for final photos of grandpa who died on the crapper with his pants around his ankles

Printing pictures of dead people; especially those who ended violently, is a gutless shameful practice that showcases the lowest level of humanity. It’s worse than a kick in the nuggets to someone already writhing in pain. Defend it all you want. I’m sure you think there is some moral ground out there.

I also think that there would be less war in the world if the bodies of dead soldiers were on display. It might make war a bit more realistic for people.

Now if it were the World Leaders kids going to war and the dead World Leaders kids being viewed, maybe there would be less war. But it's not!!! It's usually the poor and lower middle class that usually get sent to the battle lines. But that's for another debate. Showing the bodies of the dead here to me is just disrespectful of the families of the dead. I just remember seeing the bodies of the two dead Russian Tourists a few weeks back, and the pictures really disgusted me. They were plastered on every news-rag and broadcasted on every news station for weeks. Just didn't seem right to me. I can almost guarantee that the parents back in Russia didn't give permission to show their kids in such a state and really failed to see the point of showing such photos. As for it being a censorship issue: Thailand has very little problem censoring Smoking, Drinking, Nudity, Swearing... But don't have a problem censoring Dead Bodies!!!! Just don't get it.

I have seen a lot of dead bodies on Thai TV over the last five years but I was surprised this morning at a clip of a dead 18 month old on breakfast Television. I saw a lot of dead bodies in my previous profession of a nurse so it doesn't shock me too much but I would imagine that it is stressful for some people. I was just wondering what members of TV thought. Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think it is a very good thing as it means death isn't hidden away but something in the post for everyone. In the case of the 18 month old baby this morning it emphasised how dangerous it is to leave a child unattended. The baby chocked on a toy. I would imagine that some of you would disagree with me.

As usual, I agree with you, garro.

There is no need to hide anything in this world, IMO. If it exists, let us see, please.

There isn’t an ounce of ink that goes into a mainstream newspaper that is intended for anything other than profit. The shareholders wouldn’t have it.

So why have I seen editors and publishers stand up to advertisers who threatened to pull thousands of dollars in advertising over stories that cast them in a bad light?

There isn’t an ounce of ink that goes into a mainstream newspaper that is intended for anything other than profit. The shareholders wouldn’t have it.

So why have I seen editors and publishers stand up to advertisers who threatened to pull thousands of dollars in advertising over stories that cast them in a bad light?

It fits there image to do so. This is sometimes the best marketing.

These pictures were shown because her family thought it would help other heroin users to see the dangers in their actions
Now there is the key words. It does not work like that in Thailand not just channel 7 but other pathetic attempts at journalism in this country such as pattayacitynews for example. Your child dies and they get to the scene before you they will take their video and take their photos and before you even know about it....it will be published/broadcast and on the web.
While I have not lost a child or partner I have worked in palliative care and so have experienced the misery death
I understand what you are saying and palliative care is a very important and difficult job. However with all due respect - you have no idea of the pain until you have felt it first hand - believe me you will never and I truely mean never understand it until you have been through it. You will have seen the effects / pain of death with your occupation - but you have not felt the pain.

I honestly think if it had been your child / wife in the media - your views in this topic would be completely different. You can say now your views would not change but believe me they would.

Agree 100% with every word you've written above dekka007. I'm living proof that the compassion & empathy you feel for a dying patient is not the same as the devastating grief you feel when a close loved one dies. And I can assure every single person on this forum that if it were their loved one that the papers had got to, without their permission, splashed all over the papers, they would not be arguing the validity of it, or the newspapers' rights to do it. In my case, the Bangkok Post phoned a close friend and asked them to contact us to get permission to file a story. We refused & they never printed a thing. That is the difference between the Thai & English language newspapers here.

Meemiathai, you really feel you have a right (or in your words "let us see it please") to see photos of peoples' loved ones demises, because they exist? I'm sorry, that truly disgusts me. I was forced by the police to look at the photos of my father's body & those images will haunt me till I die. You think you have a right to see them, too, just because they exist? No, you have no right to intrude on grief in that way. No right at all. I sincerely hope if (God forbid) misfortune ever befalls you in that way, nobody feels they have the right to intrude on your grief & sensationalise your pain.

Edited by November Rain

It fits there image to do so. This is sometimes the best marketing.

Hogwash. These are things that people who work in the business see that don't get reported. Yes newspapers need to make a profit, but there is a great deal of pride and professionalism among the people who make up a paper. If money was the object they would all be doing something else for a living.

You may want to learn a little more before tarring the whole industry with one brush.

There is no need to hide anything in this world, IMO. If it exists, let us see, please.

er....are you for real?

What gives you the right to view someones child who has passed away or anything else for that matter because it "exists" in this world..very selfish attitude and quite frankly appalling.

I have seen a lot of dead bodies on Thai TV over the last five years but I was surprised this morning at a clip of a dead 18 month old on breakfast Television. I saw a lot of dead bodies in my previous profession of a nurse so it doesn't shock me too much but I would imagine that it is stressful for some people. I was just wondering what members of TV thought. Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think it is a very good thing as it means death isn't hidden away but something in the post for everyone. In the case of the 18 month old baby this morning it emphasised how dangerous it is to leave a child unattended. The baby chocked on a toy. I would imagine that some of you would disagree with me.

Dead is dead. It looks ugly for me, but it is fact and I don't see any reason to hide it.

As well old is old and we are shocked to see old sick people so in Europe we hide them and many places look so bad that even a nurse is shocked to see them.

We only want to see the pretty/healthy bodies and this a bit strange....

So I complete aggree with you.

er....are you for real?

What gives you the right to view someones child who has passed away or anything else for that matter because it "exists" in this world..very selfish attitude and quite frankly appalling.

What if I was there? What if I was at the scene of a traffic accident? Does that mean I have no respect for the victims if I look? Should I be looking another way cause I think I don't have the right to view someones passed away child?

There are pros and cons for every issue. For me, I think letting people see the reality is more important in this case.

Me, selfish? Maybe, I don't know.

I do sympathise with NR and dekka007 and I know you don't like what I have to say. I see that clip this morning as likely saving lives. It may add to the mother's grief but her child is dead already. I am sure many morthers are more careful today because of it.

Whether we choose to ignore it or not death exists. This is probably why so many people die alone in the west. Their families are not prepared for it. In my opinion this is a problem in Western culture that is getting worse. Death is not something that happens to other people it is there for us all.

The suggestion that I have become immune to death is completely wrong. I would need to be psychotic or authistic to begin with for that and I am not. As I already stated it is the reason I quit working full-time was that it was affecting me too much.

This is only my opinion but it is something I have thought long and hard about.

Hogwash. These are things that people who work in the business see that don't get reported. Yes newspapers need to make a profit, but there is a great deal of pride and professionalism among the people who make up a paper. If money was the object they would all be doing something else for a living.

You may want to learn a little more before tarring the whole industry with one brush.

Yes the newspaperman and Mother Theresa, out there to save the world. Got to admit they turned me down, my halo was way too small.

ALL newspaper people would quit if they thought money was the object.

That is quite a revelation and quite in line with objective modern journalistic standards too.

If you want to see something really morbid and ghoulish, visit the medical museum at one of the Hospitals in BKK, forgot the name.

Inside they have preserved specimens of dead people, and all sorts of freakishly disturbing exhibits. I was walking around almost :o but the Thais were strolling around with curious expressions on their face, as if it were nothing much.

but it is fact and I don't see any reason to hide it

No one is denying death is a fact of life and will happen to us all at some stage. It's about those who remain and have to deal with the pain after the death - which is not being helped by the Thai media.

Maybe I am wrong but if you could call the parents and ask them do they appreciate seeing the images that have of their own child broadcast on the television - I am sure the answer would be NO don't you think.

Now that have you seen the disturbing images of this child - what are you going to do about it..........nothing thats what...because it does not effect your life in one bit - at the most you will probably say down the pub "Did you see that baby on channel 7" to your mates. thats it.

Having seen the images on tv:

1. Does it make the life of the family easier - No

2. Will you make an effort to send your condolences to the family - No

3. Will it change the way you live your life - No

4. Will you attend the ceremony at the wat - No

So exactly what has the media achieved by showing this story in this way - <deleted> all except to try increase channel 7 profits and enhance the hurt and sorrow the parents and relations are already struggling to deal with. And not just that family but others that have sadly lost a child having to view such a broadcast.

I get the impression here that a lot of members that have posted here dont seem to give a shit about those involved - aslong as they are happy that they have seen the child who died for some strange reason.............pathetic.

If you want to see something really morbid and ghoulish, visit the medical museum at one of the Hospitals in BKK, forgot the name.

Inside they have preserved specimens of dead people, and all sorts of freakishly disturbing exhibits. I was walking around almost :o but the Thais were strolling around with curious expressions on their face, as if it were nothing much.

You will likely find one of these in every Western city. I regulary visited the one in Whitechapel London. It had plenty of dead babies and even the skeleton of the elephant man. There were freaks there of every discription. I didn't notice any upset people getting sick there though.

Yes the newspaperman and Mother Theresa, out there to save the world. Got to admit they turned me down, my halo was way too small.

ALL newspaper people would quit if they thought money was the object.

That is quite a revelation and quite in line with objective modern journalistic standards too.

Your penchant for hyperbole is impressive. Nobody is claiming sainthood, just pointing out that you are wrong in painting a whole industry black.

I do sympathise with NR and dekka007 and I know you don't like what I have to say. I see that clip this morning as likely saving lives. It may add to the mother's grief but her child is dead already. I am sure many morthers are more careful today because of it.

Whether we choose to ignore it or not death exists. This is probably why so many people die alone in the west. Their families are not prepared for it. In my opinion this is a problem in Western culture that is getting worse. Death is not something that happens to other people it is there for us all.

The suggestion that I have become immune to death is completely wrong. I would need to be psychotic or authistic to begin with for that and I am not. As I already stated it is the reason I quit working full-time was that it was affecting me too much.

This is only my opinion but it is something I have thought long and hard about.

I certainly don't think that you've become immune to death (I didn't read where that was said) & I think you've argued your case sensitively & with understanding, which is more than some. I can see that you don't see it the way that dekka007, I and to some extent, canuckamuck do. I do agree with dekka007, that when it happens to you, you see it differently, and I genuinely hope you never have the misfortune to see the situation our way. I would imagine, though, that a large number of bereaved families, feel as we do about the sensationalising of their loved ones' deaths. But, how would I know?

I still don't think it serves any purpose other than to sell (newspapers or advertising revenue or whatever), but we'll just have to agree to differ on this one, I think.

Your penchant for hyperbole is impressive. Nobody is claiming sainthood, just pointing out that you are wrong in painting a whole industry black.

And you painted them all white

No I didn't, please read again.

You will likely find one of these in every Western city. I regulary visited the one in Whitechapel London. It had plenty of dead babies and even the skeleton of the elephant man. There were freaks there of every discription. I didn't notice any upset people getting sick there though.

the thing that stuck in my mind the most was the preserved newborn babies/fetus with some type of deformity. There was one eyed babies, twins joined in every possible way, heads growing off the wrong place...

Floating in old, discoloured preservative fluid.

stuff like this Im sure you cant find in western hospitals.

the thing that stuck in my mind the most was the preserved newborn babies/fetus with some type of deformity. There was one eyed babies, twins joined in every possible way, heads growing off the wrong place...

Floating in old, discoloured preservative fluid.

stuff like this Im sure you cant find in western hospitals.

I promise you that you can Grover, at least in London anyway. I would frequently see medical students use the deformed fetus in bottles for paperweights. This museum is open to the public by the way and anyone who wishes to visit can just walk in. There is not even a charge.

If money was the object they would all be doing something else for a living.

This quote uses the word all to describe everyone who works in the newspaper industry.

You wrote it, but I will let you off the hook. because I don't believe all are bad either. My point was the papers moneymen push the direction and the content. Honest Earl on the city beat doesn't have a lot to say about it.

I will say that the newspapers in the west, and some in Asia can be a powerful tool for good, and we owe a lot to the free press. This being said, many papers are sleazy, dishonest, and appeal to mans lower instincts. If it bleeds it leads, isn't that the motto?

If money was the object they would all be doing something else for a living.

This quote uses the word all to describe everyone who works in the newspaper industry.

You wrote it, but I will let you off the hook. because I don't believe all are bad either. My point was the papers moneymen push the direction and the content. Honest Earl on the city beat doesn't have a lot to say about it.

I will say that the newspapers in the west, and some in Asia can be a powerful tool for good, and we owe a lot to the free press. This being said, many papers are sleazy, dishonest, and appeal to mans lower instincts. If it bleeds it leads, isn't that the motto?

I think I have to agree that you do seem to be saying (maybe not intentionally) that ALL these journalist would quit if it were about the money and in a sense painting them white. When in fact for many it is about the money and the whole Stalker-Razzi attitude of getting a shot or breaking a juicy story. Just pick up the latest paper and see the newest photo off a star kissing their new lover... Of course these are taken without the permission and often times bordering on stalking and invasion of privacy. Or take the whole reporting and parading of John Mark Carr not too long ago. Sure there are many honest journalists who are reporting facts and trying to shed light on important matters, but just as many are trying to make a buck by breaking some gossip or coming up with the next photo that will bring them thousands and in some cases millions of baht.

But back on topic: I just don't see much point in showing dead people. If the government really wanted to teach parents that small toys can be dangerous, maybe a very strict policy on warning labels would be a start. Or instead of showing a dead body for 3 minutes, maybe a little public service announcement on the such dangers would better serve the public and be less intrusive to the grieving families involved in these sort of sensational stories.