Likes And Dislikes In Thailand

onzestan

My personal list (not complete), the differences more often than not, depending on my mood. :o

Like : The Thai people

Dislike : Some of the Thai People

Like : The weather

Dislike : It’s either to hot or it’s raining.

Like : Good restaurants

Dislike : Most good restaurants are expensive

Like : The Baht busses being cheap transport

Dislike : The fact that I have to pay more than my Thai wife (but then again I

weigh twice as much as she)

Like : Going to the movies is cheap and the popcorn is good.

Dislike : The airco in the movie theaters is far to cold.

Like : Farang friends

Dislike : Loudmouthed bad behaving Farangs that think they own the place.

Like : Being treated respectfully.

Dislike : Staff following me around when I’m prospecting to buy something.

Like : Being able to have a conversation in my limited Thai with Thai people.

Dislike : When I ask a question to a Thai person in Thai, they reply in Thai to my

wife as if I’m not there.

Like : People that act responsibly with their finances.

Dislike : cheap charlies

Like : Suvarnabhumi airport.

Dislike : Suvarnabhumi airport’s color scheme

Are some of you on the same wavelength or completely different?

Cheers

Onzestan (our Stan in dutch – that’s what my family called me when talking about me, which happened a lot – so I was told)

:o Almost the same here, although I don't agree with the restaurant thing. I still eat western food, but in some places where the food is great and the prices are pretty good (just had a dinner with a friend, stuffed ouselfs with a lot of western food and just for 450 baht). On the other hand, I like to eat thai food and not the one from the expensive restaurants which is crap compared to the food you can get from most of the food stalls and some small thai restaurants.

I hate the baht busses paying more than a thai is the least of my problems and I'm not that happy about the popcorn either :D . But the rest is true. Nice post

i hate the weather in Thailand :D , especially the sun and i'm busy preparing a case to be submitted to the Supreme Court demanding that the rainy season should be extended by law to last from 1st of january till 31st of december. on top of that i will demand snow from 24th of december till 2nd of january.

apart from the weather i think everybody should like Thailand. there's hardly any other place on this planet where you get an equivalent value for your money (correct me if i am wrong).

personally i like Thailand because i get value without spending a penny of my own money. each and everything (and more) is paid for by not paying some taxman.

:o

What is a "baht bus" and how is it different from other buses?

riding in a baht bus means you pay your fare in Baht. in Los Angeles you ride in a dollar bus and in London in a pound bus. consequently the buses in Moscow are called ruble buses and in Beijing renmimbi buses.

Dr. Naam: The Supreme Court has agreed to examine the weather. I would like to add a condition that the RAIN is only allowed to fall during the hours of darkness (betwen sunset and sunrise) and the temperature will range from 19C to 23C during the day - except during the Christmas break when heavy snow will fall.

Peter

Good: A new taxi with good A/C mid day

BaD : An old taxi with holes in the floor and the red check engine light stays on the whole trip as the driver makes his own lanes yet has no idea where you want to go

Good: The shopping(according to my wife)

Bad : The shopping

Good:

Bad :Squat toilets

Good: Thai food

Bad : Thai food if it is real spicy 8 hours later(Squat toilet included in the situation)

riding in a baht bus means you pay your fare in Baht. in Los Angeles you ride in a dollar bus and in London in a pound bus. consequently the buses in Moscow are called ruble buses and in Beijing renmimbi buses.

Thanks Dr. Naam. I've seen that mentioned a few times and wondered about it. I guess I don't take the bus often enough.

Pattaya Tinglish for what is called สองแถว 'sawng thaew' in Thai.

Two rows of seats facing each other, often on a modified pick up truck, used as a means of public transport.

The Chiang Mai ones are commonly referred to as รถแดง 'rod daeng' (red car) because they are... surprise... painted red.

Barney Ruble and the Flinstones?

Kind of says something...

Soundman.

Like :

Higher status; somtam; young coconuts; attractive, smart, clean people; realistic costs-of-living; wonderful interaction with the people.

Dislike :

Noise pollution everywhere; constantly-sticky skin; dishonesty in trading; jealousy/insecurity of the women towards perceived rivals.

Dr. Naam: The Supreme Court has agreed to examine the weather. I would like to add a condition that the RAIN is only allowed to fall during the hours of darkness (betwen sunset and sunrise) and the temperature will range from 19C to 23C during the day - except during the Christmas break when heavy snow will fall.

Peter

an acceptable decision Peter! :o

I dislike heavy traffic. I dislike drunken farang skinheads and now that I think about it I don't much like drunken Thai men either. Everything else I can handle.

Likes: Great food readily available, even the street food is good

Dislike: Bangkok Belly...

Major Dislike: The inability of ppl in BKK to wait in line or wait in general. Wait 'til the ppl get off the BTS before you get on. No one is going to get anywhere if theres a massive jam at the doors. Same with elevators, wait 'til ppl get off 1st. And the pressing of both the up and down buttons....its not going to make it go faster.

Since I have to go to Thailand, the dislikes had to be brushed aside.

Simply, I don't expose myself to any dislikes and I have no complaints to report any longer.

It is not cheap but works wonders when you don't have to use baht buses, crap eateries, cheap housing, cheap hotels, BKK traffic, motosai taxi, beer chang, mekong "whiskey", rub shoulders with "quantity" tourists, pushing the prem over cracked pavements

One things that I have always liked is the weather.

Nothing here that can't be solved.

My personal list (not complete), the differences more often than not, depending on my mood. :o

Like : The Thai people

Dislike : Some of the Thai People

You can't choose your relatives but you can choose your friends.

Like : The weather

Dislike : It’s either to hot or it’s raining.

That's what air-con is for.

Like : Good restaurants

Dislike : Most good restaurants are expensive

Move to Isaan. Somewhere I saw one good restaurant, and it was cheap.

Like : The Baht busses being cheap transport

Dislike : The fact that I have to pay more than my Thai wife (but then again I

weigh twice as much as she)

Tanning cream and stationary bicycle.

Like : Going to the movies is cheap and the popcorn is good.

Dislike : The airco in the movie theaters is far to cold.

Bring a jacket. Or, get one of those double love-seats and watch with an attractive friend, who shivers suggestively.

Like : Farang friends

Dislike : Loudmouthed bad behaving Farangs that think they own the place.

A good slap. (Be sure your Sumo-wrestler friend from Japan is within calling distance).

Like : Being treated respectfully.

Dislike : Staff following me around when I’m prospecting to buy something.

Give 'em 20 baht to go away. Ten baht if the prospective purchase is less than 20 baht.

Like : Being able to have a conversation in my limited Thai with Thai people.

Dislike : When I ask a question to a Thai person in Thai, they reply in Thai to my

wife as if I’m not there.

Move in front of your wife, and stare back at them.

Like : People that act responsibly with their finances.

Dislike : cheap charlies

Don't worry, their 90 days will run out eventually...

Like : Suvarnabhumi airport.

Dislike : Suvarnabhumi airport’s color scheme

Every visitor should pack a can of spray paint in their shoulder bag. You go first, we'll follow your lead.

Are some of you on the same wavelength or completely different?

Kinda, but some of us are eternal optimists. The glass is more than half full.

Pattaya Tinglish for what is called สองแถว 'sawng thaew' in Thai.

Two rows of seats facing each other, often on a modified pick up truck, used as a means of public transport.

The Chiang Mai ones are commonly referred to as รถแดง 'rod daeng' (red car) because they are... surprise... painted red.

OK, but what's the deal about paying more to ride on it? Or was that just a joke...?

There's really not that much to dislike here unless you are a 'nit-picker' or on 'short money'. I can't remember the last time I rode in any form of public transport. With any effort at all you can find good quality food at cheap/very reasonable prices.

The people you choose to associate with are YOUR decision. In my village there are 2 loud-mouthed farang lager-louts; I simply will not associate with them. There are other farang here that I associate with on a regular basis.

I stay away from downtown (Udon Thani) on Saturday-Sunday when possible. The rest of the time the traffic is pretty light. I suspect most of the people who have a problem with the hot weather are fat. Get in shape and the temps won't bother you so much.

I don't plan on leaving. Wish the baht would weaken though.