Swedish woman killed by motorbike while crossing Khao Lak highway

webfact

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

The road in question is 4 lanes wide (two each way) with just a double line as the divider. Absolutely crazy to attempt to cross, particularly after dark.

Couple with potentially looking the wrong way (Swedish) and we have a recipe for disaster, it's quite possible the biker stood no chance.

Car and bike riders should have a dashcam (helmet cam) at all times, could make the difference between being blamed for a death or not.

Pedestrians should always be regarded!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ZeldasCavern said:

Pedestrians should always be regarded!!!

Absolutely! Do you drive in Thailand?

If you can't see the pedestian (it's dark, maybe they are wearing dark clothing) and/or they do something unexpected (step out immediately in front of you whilst looking the wrong way) there is no way that the driver can be blamed.

Hence my installation of dashcams in both our cars (we don't have a bike, too dangerous in their own right).

That road is fast and wide with no crossings nearby and no centre refuge, lethal!

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

The road in question is 4 lanes wide (two each way) with just a double line as the divider. Absolutely crazy to attempt to cross, particularly after dark.

Couple with potentially looking the wrong way (Swedish) and we have a recipe for disaster, it's quite possible the biker stood no chance.

Car and bike riders should have a dashcam (helmet cam) at all times, could make the difference between being blamed for a death or not.

if there  are no  bridges or crossings  how you expect to  get to the other side of the road? The answer is for all parties to be careful.   Not sure if the Thai had lights on his bike . Being a 2 lane road if he did he should have no  excuse not to have  taken avoidance measures.  if he didn't then   what you think?  I'd say blame 25/ 75 against the bike driver.. Driving  a vehicle  should in most cases mean you  have the responsibility to  drive within a speed you  can control and take measure to  avoid a crash.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

I'll bet there were no skid marks in the road. Also, He probably hit her whilst continuing in a straight line. And without a change in speed before hitting her.

Which suggests that he had no chance avoiding to hit her, she probably didn't look for oncomming traffic.

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another tragedy on Thai roads. R.I.P.

“We want to warn tourists that the main road through Khao Lak is wide and it is poorly lit. Please be careful when crossing the road,” he added.

Would it not be better to improve the said lighting, to make it safer for  pedestrians, or is that asking too much ?

Agreed. Having said that, you can see street lights quite closely spaced all the way along the road. 

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another tragedy on Thai roads. R.I.P.

“We want to warn tourists that the main road through Khao Lak is wide and it is poorly lit. Please be careful when crossing the road,” he added.

Would it not be better to improve the said lighting, to make it safer for  pedestrians, or is that asking too much ?

Most probably yes

Hard to tell for sure but the way the motorbike is laying it looks like it was traveling in the wrong direction.  The lady may have only been looking at oncoming traffic.

Probably someone has video of it from on their dashcam.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

I'll bet there were no skid marks in the road. Also, He probably hit her whilst continuing in a straight line. And without a change in speed before hitting her.

I'll bet the VERY old Swedish woman wouldn't know anything about Thai traffic, wouldn't care either; had bad hearing and VERY bad eye sight. Made the fatal mistake of thinking being in her home country even though she flew 6000 miles to get herself killed by own mistake

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Let's start with REAL drivers licenses for all Thai first. Then some real police.....

I agree with you, but I would reverse the order!  

We all have experienced a time or two a Thai male on a scooter coming at us at speed and not giving us an inch.  I recently had a guy come right at me when there was no traffic only him and I, he had two open lanes....  Look at the old lady that was hurt in a hit and run last week.

Sadly it's not like they have any real deterrents here to stop this, or even slow these incidents down....

Just for your information the scene of the accident was just before the Laguna hotel Khao Lak when you are on the way out to Khao Lak to Phuket.

Tourists do not Know that the road passing through Khao Lak IS a highway . There have have been quite a number of accidents involving tourists not only scooters but pedestrians whether in Khao Lak like this one or in Bang Niang around the market. There are no safe crossings above the road for pedestrians yet. There might be some when the road will be put all along 2x2 lanes plus separation.

Be cautious especially at night WE all Know how recklass Can the drivers be here...

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Let's start with REAL drivers licenses for all Thai first. Then some real police.....

In this country it doesn't matter if they have a "real" drivers license or not. The people here all have the same attitude on the roads, a fluch you attitude...????

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The full report says the Thai man was not mao. Wonder whether a test was done on the victim?

The photo shows a two way street of normal width, and lamposts quite close to each other.

..standard procedure in all Coroners matters to analyze deceased's blood and urine...RIP.

1 hour ago, Hans Rayong said:

In Sweden, people walk across a pedestrian crossing without looking because vehicles must stop. If they look before they go over, they look in the wrong direction because there is right-hand traffic in Sweden.

Where did you read that she was on a crossing?

I am sure the number of pedestrians injured or killed by clueless ting-tong Thai motorcycle drivers are not all reported.  I almost get hit daily by reckless motorcycle drivers turning corners at intersections .  A pedestrian needs 4 eyes to cross a street. 

23 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

How about Thailand catches up with the rest of the civilized world and starts providing proper pedestrian crossings with lights and zebra lines. 

Drivers here take no notice of the few they have.....????

23 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

How about Thailand catches up with the rest of the civilized world and starts providing proper pedestrian crossings with lights and zebra lines. 

Add Drop Gates like at Rail Road Crossings, with Flashing Red Lights, with Buttons to activate.

Also have Cameras for later investigations.

Recently here and this road is lethal. Tourist sites and activities are scattered both sides of the road with no safe option for crossing. There may be a couple of zebra crossings but as we know they only give the pedestrian a false sense of security. RIP to the woman but also remember that just because she was on the older side it does not mean that she was unused to travelling in other countries or in Thailand. Did see police (traffic control?) actively impounding m/c's parked on the footpath.

19 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

Thais don't stop for anything on the roads.

They don't care about speed limits, road conditions, zebra crossings, they ignore no overtaking lines, many drive vehicles unfit for the roads and vehicles without lights at night. They drive under the effects of drugs and drink, they do not sit driving tests nor attend correct driving schools to learn how to drive.

Even in small towns and villages, they are forever cutting across corners on the wrong side of the road to save a few seconds, ignoring traffic lights, playing with mobiles whilst driving, they drive without tax or insurance knowing they will only face fines of 500-1,000 baht roadside etc.

I could go on and on, but everybody here any length of time is aware of this.

Pedestrians beware. RIP to the lady from Sweden. Sad to hear.

The rider was not drunk.  No Information on the pedestrian.  She steps out in front of the motorcyclists probably looking the wrong way. 69 years old. And we assume the Thai Motorcyclist is in the wrong.  Sure if it was at a pedestrian crossing then other circumstances could be at play. Maybe her husband went off with a younger woman.   We do not know all the facts. Just speculation

6 hours ago, stjarna said:

I have found that and  Scandinavins  and Im one of them, who drive on the right hand side at home get all mixed up when it comes to left hand traffic. She could have been looking in the wrong direction. I seem to remember another Swedish or Dutch lady get killed there walking across a couple of years ago.

I also come from a country where we drive on the opposite side of the road to Thailand, and a country where pedestrians have the right of way. 

To this day, even after all my time in Thailand, I am still confused. 

Quite possibly the Swedish lady was confused. 

Pity for her. 

Pity for the biker. 

Archived