In Trump-Nixon impeachment comparison, Pelosi raises specter of resignation

webfact

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rabas said:

BTW, in my own view America is destined to become the greatest nation ever when we finally integrate our vast cultural wealth into one harmonious union of peoples from all nations and cultures. Independent and united as is our current union of states. That, more than all its inventiveness will give America the moral leadership to represent the world and protect man's freedoms.  No other nation has the cultural diversity to even try. Especially China.

This is the kind of blather that politicians routinely get parodies for spouting. I particularly enjoyed the phrase "independent and united." Kind of covers all bases without being specific.  For example, a major conservative talking point is objecting to hyphenated Americans. You know, don't call yourself an african american or an Italian American. Because you're an American. Where does that kind of criticism fall on the united-independent spectrum? And how does continuing immigration fit into the notion "one harmonious union"

1 hour ago, rabas said:

BTW, in my own view America is destined to become the greatest nation ever when we finally integrate our vast cultural wealth into one harmonious union of peoples from all nations and cultures. Independent and united as is our current union of states. That, more than all its inventiveness will give America the moral leadership to represent the world and protect man's freedoms.  No other nation has the cultural diversity to even try. Especially China.

A noble and laudable vision indeed.

The only problem is that America is never destined to be what you want it to be in your vision because of the lying, racist and ignorant crook at the helm, this especially when you speak of, "giving America the moral leadership to represent the world........". 

A contradiction indeed with the current incumbent.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is there a thread about it on here? I've seen nothing, so perhaps it's just not as big a deal as some want it to be.

You would have to live in an information bubble not to know about it.  So your way of dealing with the fact that Trump was fined 2 million dollars for taking money donated to his charity (and no, it wasn't all Trump's money) and donating it to himself isn't a big deal because you didn't know about it? That's your standard for judging ethics? It is to laugh.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is there a thread about it on here? I've seen nothing, so perhaps it's just not as big a deal as some want it to be.

True, in the great scheme of things regarding Trump this is no biggie and that really says it all.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought the same thing and immediately realized that whatever hes trying (and failing) to portray is probably so far detached from what actually happened that its intentionally exaggerated and hyperbolic, if not completely untrue. 

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

You would have to live in an information bubble not to know about it.  So your way of dealing with the fact that Trump was fined 2 million dollars for taking money donated to his charity (and no, it wasn't all Trump's money) and donating it to himself isn't a big deal because you didn't know about it? That's your standard for judging ethics? It is to laugh.

I had heard about it but put it down to just another anti Trump stunt by the usual suspects when it failed to even get it's own thread on here.

2 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

I thought the same thing and immediately realized that whatever hes trying (and failing) to portray is probably so far detached from what actually happened that its intentionally exaggerated and hyperbolic, if not completely untrue. 

It was briefly mentioned and then vanished from sight. Hard to put much credence in something that can't even be used to beat the Donald with, and we've seen some pretty pointless nothing burgers being hailed as the next big thing by the anti Trump media machine over the past 2 years.

Wonder what the next "big thing" is going to be? Does anyone even keep count anymore, there have been so many?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had heard about it but put it down to just another anti Trump stunt by the usual suspects when it failed to even get it's own thread on here.

You mean Trump didn't take charitable funds and use them for his own benefit? He doesn't contest that. And because thaivisa.com didn't open a thread about it, it's not significant? Boy, for someone who doesn't like Trump, you sure seem to have trouble with acknowledging even his most flagrant and sleazy violations.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was briefly mentioned and then vanished from sight. Hard to put much credence in something that can't even be used to beat the Donald with, and we've seen some pretty pointless nothing burgers being hailed as the next big thing by the anti Trump media machine over the past 2 years.

Wonder what the next "big thing" is going to be? Does anyone even keep count anymore, there have been so many?

Just to get this in perspective; the current President of the United States has been fined $2 million and has been forced to admit that he and his children had violated their fiduciary duties as officers and directors of a charity resulting in the fact that the current President of the United States cannot participate in running a charity every again in New York 'without substantial adult supervision'. 

Bear in mind that anywhere else in the Western world and this would be an immediate resignation and/or firing. 

Ok, so now this has been confirmed to you, does that change your view on him?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? Briefly mentioned? Do you know how to use google. Give it a shot. And after you see the number of links to the settelement. Then reset the search to look for Trump charity before the settlement. That number will be even bigger.

4 hours ago, Tug said:

Your Donald earned the revulsion it with interest that’s from the (majority) of us your vision is wonderful but I don’t understand how you expect to get there with an old rasist narcissist no brother it’s you that needs to do the home work I’m not a mark I know what trump is I’ve been aware of him since the 70s he has built his entire presidency on smearing others that’s all he has got that may be your vision of a leader not mine I kinda see Donald as a hybrid of Mussolini and boss tweed do your homework look up boss tweed you might have a chuckle cheers

Interesting. Would you care to elaborate on the similarities that you see between Boss Tweed, Mussolini and Donald Trump?

21 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Would you care to elaborate on the similarities that you see between Boss Tweed, Mussolini and Donald Trump?

They won't, they just like to say outlandish things like that but then go into hibernation when asked to elaborate. 

3 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

They won't, they just like to say outlandish things like that but then go into hibernation when asked to elaborate. 

Bit like trump. Say outlandish things, lie. Then just forget about it

Private investigators in hawaii getting lots of evidence about obamas birth certificate. No they didnt.

Sondland is a great guy. Oh i dont know him.

Even rudy, is he your lawyer. Im not sure.

Stormy daniels, dont know anything about it. Until cohen released the tape.

13000 and counting.

17 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I think I have layed out perfectly the reasons for polarization in the USA. It will end only with indictments and prison terms for those who have conspired against the President. Short of that - no justice will have been done. It's beyond reconciliation by anything other then the legal system of the United States of America

Conspiracy nonsense again , pathetic really.

2 minutes ago, chokrai said:

You hit the nail on the head right there.

Ahhhh you do realize your Donald operates on smears and lies don’t you?to me the trump supporters sound more desperate every day don’t be a mark this isent about the dems or republicans it’s about right and wrong and the constitution Donald Trump has shown time and time again he is incapable of working within the confines of the constitution or law for that matter he is unfit he needs to be removed ASAP imo and coddled untle that time

27 minutes ago, Tug said:

Ahhhh you do realize your Donald operates on smears and lies don’t you?to me the trump supporters sound more desperate every day don’t be a mark this isent about the dems or republicans it’s about right and wrong and the constitution Donald Trump has shown time and time again he is incapable of working within the confines of the constitution or law for that matter he is unfit he needs to be removed ASAP imo and coddled untle that time

Yeah Yeah and he is a tool of Putin, we heard you the first 50 times.

Haha its not going so well the the Dems and their impeachment show. 

Poll: Opposition by independents to impeachment inquiry jumps 10 points

Opposition by independents to the House’s ongoing impeachment inquiry jumped 10 percentage points in the last week, according to a Politico–Morning Consult poll released Tuesday.

The poll showed 47 percent of independents opposed the inquiry, compared to 37 percent last week. Meanwhile support for the inquiry by independents fell 7 points to 40 percent.

Support for the inquiry among all respondents fell 2 points to 48 percent, while opposition to it rose 3 points to 45 percent.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/471057-poll-independent-opposition-to-impeachment-inquiry-jumps-10-points-in-last#bottom-story-socials

10 hours ago, Tug said:

Watched a lot of Wednesday's Impeachment hearing, and I must say I'm confident this is another "nothing" burger, with all the nothing trimmings. There is no way a reasonable person can believe Mr. Trump said anything in the phone call that could justify impeachment.

Ambassador Volker and Mr. Morrison did an outstanding job answering the leading questions from the dems. And I'm sure the American people will see through this disgraceful scam. Any hopes the dems had of swaying the opinion of voters come 2020 are flying out the window. 

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Watched a lot of Wednesday's Impeachment hearing, and I must say I'm confident this is another "nothing" burger, with all the nothing trimmings. There is no way a reasonable person can believe Mr. Trump said anything in the phone call that could justify impeachment.

Ambassador Volker and Mr. Morrison did an outstanding job answering the leading questions from the dems. And I'm sure the American people will see through this disgraceful scam. Any hopes the dems had of swaying the opinion of voters come 2020 are flying out the window. 

A big correction from Volker

Volker — like the ambassador to the European Union, Gordon Sondland — was forced to correct his testimony after other witnesses called it into question.

The most important clarification came with regard to a July 10 meeting in which Sondland has now acknowledged he brought up investigations with Ukrainian leaders — after previously not disclosing that. Volker had previously testified that there was no mention during that meeting of the investigations Trump and his personal attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani were seeking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/19/early-takeaways-alexander-vindmans-jennifer-williamss-testimony/

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Watched a lot of Wednesday's Impeachment hearing, and I must say I'm confident this is another "nothing" burger, with all the nothing trimmings.

Not sure what you consider "nothing".  It is clear what POTUS did was "improper", the only question is,  is it an impeachable offence.  POTUS withheld military aid and a meeting with the President of Ukraine while Giuliani pressured the Ukraine for information on the Bidens.  

Vindman described how the "power disparity" between the U.S. and Ukraine made Trump's request for a "favor" more like a demand.......

president's request for investigations to be a "demand" that was "improper."

Giuliani tells the New York Times he plans to travel to Kiev and meet with President-elect Zelensky to urge him to investigate the Bidens.... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/us/politics/giuliani-ukraine-trump.html

The news ignites a firestorm of bipartisan condemnation that Giuliani is improperly seeking the help of a foreign government to benefit Trump’s re-election campaign.

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Not sure what you consider "nothing".  It is clear what POTUS did was "improper", the only question is,  is it an impeachable offence.  POTUS withheld military aid and a meeting with the President of Ukraine while Giuliani pressured the Ukraine for information on the Bidens.  

Vindman described how the "power disparity" between the U.S. and Ukraine made Trump's request for a "favor" more like a demand.......

president's request for investigations to be a "demand" that was "improper."

Giuliani tells the New York Times he plans to travel to Kiev and meet with President-elect Zelensky to urge him to investigate the Bidens.... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/us/politics/giuliani-ukraine-trump.html

The news ignites a firestorm of bipartisan condemnation that Giuliani is improperly seeking the help of a foreign government to benefit Trump’s re-election campaign.

No aid was withheld, Ukraine wasn't aware of aid being withheld.

Vindman is giving his "opinion" that's all it is or ever will be. Did you hear Volker and Morrison testify there was no bribery.

6 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Not sure what you consider "nothing".  It is clear what POTUS did was "improper", the only question is,  is it an impeachable offence.

Even the two witnessed requested by the Republicans (in the hopes they would "exonerate" Trump) admitted what Trump did was wrong and Morrison testified that Bolton told him to get to a lawyer pronto immediately after the call. Call it a "nothing burger" all you want (what a silly a$$ term), the truth is coming out. Sondland's testimony will be the final nail in the coffin. He was observed YELLING at the Ukrainians to get the investigation started and publicly announced, and he'll be asked about this under oath. His 180 degree turnabout from his original statement shows he understands how dangerously close he is to perjury charges. I hope I don't run out of popcorn.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No aid was withheld, Ukraine wasn't aware of aid being withheld.

Vindman is giving his "opinion" that's all it is or ever will be. Did you hear Volker and Morrison testify there was no bribery.

No. They were FULLY aware of the aid being withheld. Hell, the Ukrainian president went to VP Pence, complaining about it and explaining how dangerous this was as witnessed firsthand by Pence's personal liaison to the Ukraine. And yes I did hear Volker/Morrison testify. They said they never heard the actual words "quid pro quo" but it was fully understood that was what was happening.

Archived