Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Late yesterday afternoon, thunder, lightening & very strong winds, but only had around 5 minutes of rain.

It was so refreshing.  During the night a couple of loud thunderclaps, & this morning the ground is a bit wet. Bit windy now.

How's the weather in France M'sieur Vous?

Monsieur Vous here farangsters.

Owl will be pleased if his area did get a splash of rain. But his particular area is one of the dryest in Thailand, so I fear that he didn't get any of note.

The weather here is dry and about 15C. It's early morning, and I've just received my latest assignment. So I'll be saying au revoir to Nancy (who is still sleeping) and then I'll have to get going. Just had some onion soup and French roll with  Camembert de Normandie filling.

Have a few tasteful pics of my lady friends. I was going to post them, but Mr Ody wouldn't like it. So another time with that.

Good to see France beat one of the largest countries in the world 0-2. Back on track to retain title. England also had their second win at the week end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:10 AM, Odysseus123 said:

I think that you should re-examine your own behaviour when you flounced back onto the thread,no?

I could not care less how many seconds you spent looking for a photo...

People have been welcome here for the last 108 pages..and I am very sure that they will remain welcome for another 108.

It needs to be  combined  with the Do you  believe in god  thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

It needs to be  combined  with the Do you  believe in god  thread.

ha...ha-you are probably right!

Have they got any nearer to solving the eternal question yet?

(or at least one of the many eternal questions that plague us..????)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's well-known the answer is 42.

Ah...but that is an English protestant formulation....I doubt that either the Council of Trent or the Diet of Worms would have gone with that answer-they would have probably have fought another war over it.????

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Further information required. How did the snake get into the bottle? Why is the bottle tied to a brush handle?

I need to know.

Brother-in-law spotted it. Coaxed it in to a length of pvc conduit. Plastic bottle pressed tight at the other end. Cobra exits conduit in to bottle. Braver man than me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Brother-in-law spotted it. Coaxed it in to a length of pvc conduit. Plastic bottle pressed tight at the other end. Cobra exits conduit in to bottle. Braver man than me.

If anyone is worried about the welfare of liccle snakey, well the cobra was kindly dumped out of the bottle on the other side of our garden wall where there's a khlong and fields. Hopefully one of the big monitor lizards there will come eat it.

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Looking at that photo of Owl feeding the chickens, you would never know what a rebel he is. Looks like butter wouldn’t melt. 
Well done Mr Vous for all your efforts. Keep your diary clear for May........if he can last that long. . 

I for one am better for having perused Mr Vous's entertaining literary merits.

20 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've known that since I was 17.  Now that I'm 67, I don't remember the question. 

Turns out that solving the problem was much easier than finding out what the problem actually was.Kinda sounds like government policy really.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Owl, my wife likes the little pet chickens. Not sure how many are left since she's back in the U.S. x 2 years.  She used to complain about all the roosters raping her hens. 555

image.thumb.jpeg.cd8261ff757806998feaafb4163184c4.jpeg

They are lovely.

Mrs Owl doesn't like the chickens 'cause they scratch about around her little trees.

Me! I just love nature. Spent most of my young life behind the power station at Dagenham Dock throwing pebbles at bottles bobbing in the Thames. Caught the odd crab and took it home to mum. She wouldn't entertain it and said to take it back. Contaminated, she would say.

Allotments were a great day out. Some people had rabbits, some chickens (not really allowed I was told) some bred ferrets.

Then, one year I went to Dartmoor for convalescence after a serious illness. What an eye opener! Little horses, sheep, lizards and occasionally saw a giant black cat.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:20 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Probably too small/young to hurt you BB.

They might bite, but it would be a 'dry bite'. Once they get to about half metre they should be taken seriously. Best thing is to grab its tail and hold it at arms length. That stops their ability to spring up and strike.

A friend in the village got bitten by a metre long cobra. Hurt her ankle; a lot; she said.

snake-bite.jpg.7b19e239c988cd218bb01a17bb7a18c9.jpg

33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Probably too small/young to hurt you BB.

They might bite, but it would be a 'dry bite'. Once they get to about half metre they should be taken seriously. Best thing is to grab its tail and hold it at arms length. That stops their ability to spring up and strike.

A friend in the village got bitten by a metre long cobra. Hurt her ankle; a lot; she said.

snake-bite.jpg.7b19e239c988cd218bb01a17bb7a18c9.jpg

I much prefer when we are visited by pythons; beautiful slow moving creatures.

52 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Mrs Owl doesn't like the chickens 'cause they scratch about around her little trees.

Me! I just love nature.

I love nature too. I couldn't eat a whole one though.

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Monsur Vous cannot be contacted by anyone for a while. What we Dagenites might say mysterion-non-gratus. He is doing vitally important work, and could be virtually anywhere. Maybe underground the Pyrenees. Foix, is just on their edge.

'the Pyrenees'    Aren't they just above the Pyrenankles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I know of an ex-doctor up in Ubol, who, while practicing medicine, went with the traditional treatment for one of his patients who was bitten by a cobra - herbs, other plants, rice whiskey and prayer. The patient died. The doctor was so disgusted with himself for not taking the patient to hospital and using anti-venom that he resigned and stopped practicing. He became a market stall holder in Chong Mek. I entered the monk-hood at the same time as his son, who introduced me to his father when we went on the alms round in the morning.    

Great story.

The lady (Yoo) who was bitten by the cobra, didn't go to hospital. Her husband was in England at the time. I was taking pics and keeping him updated.

I paid for a doctor to visit her at her home. He had a look and suggested that once she could walk, it would be worth getting some sort of skin graft. But, he was quite happy with her treatment.

This particular snake was not caught, although it was seen by a few people. Snakes are everywhere up here. Probably one within a few metres at any time. The yellow and black (or silver and red) banded kraits are the worst; although not so poisonous are more aggressive than the cobra. Vipers are rare. Only seen one at the farm in 12 years.

• Like 1