Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Best wishes to everyone on this thread for 2022.

Restaurants in Chiang Rai have come up with a number of ways to circumvent the prohibition on serving alcohol. This is one form of disguise.

IMG20211102122205.jpg

Like it!

Have a little something for those bad farang that don't wear no mask in town.

Five steps:

1/ Wear a shirt with a top pocket

2/ Buy a sausage and take a bite.

3/ Place the rest of the sausage in top pocket.

4/ Put on the mask; but wear it under the chin.
5/ When getting funny looks; take out the sausage and have a nibble; or lick.

Happy New Year to all the farangsters out there.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Owl,

Have tried the wireless ear buds ?

To be honest Chaz, I havn't. I'm really not keen on having wireless stuff next to me.

Even though we have WiFi I still use a wired connection on my laptop. And haven't got a 'smart phone'.

• Like 2

It's the EFL Owl I think, not the FA who deduct the points, we got done last season with it.

As for the Queen and Blair I did see something the other day online that he only got it after Prince Phillip passed away, not sure how true but it wouldn't surprise me if he'd been holding it up previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Owl, I'm surprised you mention the lack of rain. It's normal till the summer storms begin, surely.

Many facets to this one Bannork.

Given that we are right into the 'dry-season' one would expect it not to rain. But in the not to distant past, it has rained; quite heavily at times, during the dry season. According to the statistics, there should be at least one shower every month from early November through to late March. But stats can be misleading, as they are based on an accumulation of data over some considerable time; usually 25 years. 

When I first came to Thailand to make it my home - rather than on 30 day visits - it was a lot wetter that what it has been in recent years. For the first few years - that would be 2008 to 2013 - I kept a record of temperature, rainfall and wind etc. It fitted the expected data trends. Considerably over 100 cm of rain for the whole year. And it started in mid March; gradually reaching a peak in August/Sept, and usually tailing off in October. The result would usually be 100 - 120cm annually.

The last three years have been very different. Not any year has the season rainfall exceeded 90cm. In fact 2021 saw only 55cm for the year. A good deal of that falling in late October (22nd) . In 2020 most of the rain fell in September. For my money, there is a dramatic shift in rain pattern.

What does this mean for the two main crops in these parts (upper Isaan); rice and sugar?

Firstly sugar; yields this time (last quarter 2021, until now), have been so poor that some farmers have not even cut. The tonnage per rai is not half of what would be expected in years past. Those that have cut, have replanted, into - for want of a better phrase soil-dust. Rain is desperately needed if the sugar is going to be even a decent crop. Sure it will grow, but get a plant off to a bad start and it might never properly mature.

Rice is somewhat different.There are a number of planting methods used. But they all need water early on. Because the rain has not arrived as was expected - and indeed as it should have - during the last tree years, yields have been extremely low. There are farmers that have saved/stored water, and for those the two-stage is the method to be adopted. Most use  'casting', onto a damp soil. This is a good - and cheapest - method if rain is then forthcoming. The last few years have seen farmers re-planting as the rice has not shown early. Grass and weeds then predominate and the rice is stunted, due to lack of water, and the undesirables robbing it of nutrients..

What can be done? Well praying might do the trick, but a more practical solution would be either to ensure a when-needed water supply, or a change of crop. Not always easy for farmers who have repeated the same annual growing patterns all their lives; and that of their fathers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, bannork said:

My wallet always feels slimmer and leaner after my daughter has massaged it, but sadly it doesn't seem to gain its former strength.

Owl, I'm surprised you mention the lack of rain. It's normal till the summer storms begin, surely.

Regarding accidents, 2 nights ago an elderly coupled were killed in their samlor when a pickup rammed into them about 8 pm on the Phen- Bandung road just after Nong Hai. Bits of the pickup were torn off and could still be seen by the roadside but the driver took off, the basterd.

Cats and samlors don't belong on the same road safety wise imo. Cars and pickups hurtle along, then a samlor or tractor slowly turns right or crosses lanes. Imo you can't drive fast on Thai country roads, too many sudden obstacles.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all the posters, we may not have the sea in Issan but sometimes a haystack can do instead for a bit of fun! 

1641292923633.jpg

Smashing pic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I just weighed 3 different fine powders

3 tsp of flour = 10g

3 tsp of sugar = 15g

3 tsp sea salt = 21g

So I don't think that 3 tsp of the fungicide will weigh 40g - 13.3g per tsp - maybe tablespoons (just my guess).

Thank you CL, that is very helpful. Clearly I underestimated by a considerable amount. Never mind, far better to have made the mixture too weak rather than too strong 

Much appreciated.

Bannork 

18 hours ago, bannork said:

Thank you CL, that is very helpful. Clearly I underestimated by a considerable amount. Never mind, far better to have made the mixture too weak rather than too strong 

Much appreciated.

Bannork 

I think also that three tablespoons might be nearer to what you are after.

The pack that contains the anti-fungus powder might be a clue.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, owl sees all said:

The web site was a bit of a joint effort:

www.numbervillage.com

I think it would be a help to her in the future if she could understand HTML, and other languages, behind the pages that we look at virtually every day.

The project was actually started in the summer of 2019. It was Mildred's idea to write about a village in Thailand. It gradually morphed into what it now is. It opens up learning possibilities for her. Imaginative stories. Artwork. Writing in English, and as said, understanding a little of the internet.

Really, I'm trying to equip Mildred with knowledge and understanding, through a range of things, that will help her in the future. It's a tough world out there for Thai youngsters growing into adulthood; especially those from Isaan.

Hopefully the number village project will lead into other avenues; music, cartoons and games. We have already designed a working game. I've done the coding, and hopefully it will be put up on the site soon.

As for an 'SSL certificate',,,,,? Perhaps later. Thanks for your interest Sterling

According to reports, JAVA programmers will be the highest in demand in the next 20 years with an average salary of US $120,000.

I got a kick out of her website in HTML. Took me back years and years and years.

HTML 5.3 is out now and with CSS you can do a very professional website.

32 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

According to reports, JAVA programmers will be the highest in demand in the next 20 years with an average salary of US $120,000.

I got a kick out of her website in HTML. Took me back years and years and years.

HTML 5.3 is out now and with CSS you can do a very professional website.

Thanks for that IL.

In the early days of the Internet it was far more basic and maybe 'pure' than what it has grown into today. As for languages; I've been researching Python. Reminds me a bit like BASIC.

At Uni I looked at BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN. Actually wrote a few games; Trail (the forerunner to snake), Hitman and Marathon Man were all my creations. That was back in about 81/82/83.

The website www.numbervillage.com is indeed a throwback to the early days of HTML. Glad you enjoyed it. Have you read any of the stories? Try Digger Dog!

Thanks again.

Edited by owl sees all

Parking is always a problem when you have a 7-11 on one corner and a popular 20 baht shop on the other so the small soi in between is prime parking causing some problems for the larger vehicles. But in an effort to stop this they painted some helpful road markings to orientate the public.

8BBF4540-2F7C-4405-8573-7A7E53D720DE.thumb.jpeg.0eb38b3159a0913f2d9918cc11b23a0b.jpeg

Not sure if it’s a Banksy or a Jackson Pollock ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Parking is always a problem when you have a 7-11 on one corner and a popular 20 baht shop on the other so the small soi in between is prime parking causing some problems for the larger vehicles. But in an effort to stop this they painted some helpful road markings to orientate the public.

8BBF4540-2F7C-4405-8573-7A7E53D720DE.thumb.jpeg.0eb38b3159a0913f2d9918cc11b23a0b.jpeg

Great pic. Interesting road markings. We have more wires than you though.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Looks like the navy ships from the 1st world war

• Like 1