Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, bannork said:

A horse and trap trotted through our village last week. Never seen that in Issan before. Perhaps it came from that farm you visited Owl.

Possible!

There are so many hidden jems in Isaan. I take the back-roads whenever I can. Never know what you might find!

Sad to see the koi-carp farm closed.

• Like 1

Just now, owl sees all said:

You are not wrong there Andy.

However the house next door is not occupied and it is perfectly livable. And I know the lady that owns it.

What a terrible loss of face it would be if the farang went o live on his own - next door - and didn't want for anything!

Got to prepare for all eventualities.

Well hopefully it doesn’t come to that Owl, but i can foresee you paying an extra couple of payments to avoid the salty cuppa !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Finally done it. Moved out of Bangkok and now located in the northern region of Kalasin so not too far away from Owl and many of the other posters on this thread. Won't be going the farming route though.  Once I'm settled, I'll get a dog too but probably not a ridgeback. More likely to be a Kalasin mongrel. 

Looking forward to exploring the area in the next few months. If only the lovely cool weather could hold, but that is never going to happen.  

Congrats are in order Garry.

And what a lovey area too. Lots of beautiful mango orchards in your area.

Could have a big military base close to you also. Hope it doesn't stop your restful sleep at night.

In a couple of weeks time we will be cursing the roasting hot days, and the humid nights.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Congrats are in order Garry.

And what a lovey area too. Lots of beautiful mango orchards in your area.

Could have a big military base close to you also. Hope it doesn't stop your restful sleep at night.

In a couple of weeks time we will be cursing the roasting hot days, and the humid nights.

Not noticed any mango orchards. It all seems to be jujube orchards, rubber tree plantations, sugarcane and cassava, with the normal rice fields thrown in for good measure.  Weather has been very welcoming though, if only the PM2.5 was under control. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:11 AM, bannork said:

A horse and trap trotted through our village last week. Never seen that in Issan before. Perhaps it came from that farm you visited Owl.

Could have been from the place I visited last week.

A bit closer than the last horse place I found.

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Off to the bank this afternoon; hopefully,

Will report back on events. If I'm still up and running!!!

Good luck Owl, i've a feeling you're going to be needing it, but remember, when all else fails, you can always get away with paying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Owl, If your passport expires in December, remember that your next extension of stay from immigration will only last until December. So best to replace your passport 3 months before your extension expires.

You are right there Rick.

Last time it was IPS - out of Hong Kong (I think) - now some other agency has taken over. Trips to BKK, and the like. I've read up on member's passport renewal experiences on AN. Not made up my mind what to do yet.

Someone suggested sending it to a daughter or brother (etc) in England, and doing it on the internet. Bit risky that; I'm thinking. But cold it be done with a VPN?

Edited by owl sees all

On 2/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, owl sees all said:

You are right there Rick.

Last time it was IPS - out of Hong Kong (I think) - now some other agency has taken over. Trips to BKK, and the like. I've read up on member's passport renewal experiences on AN. Not made up my mind what to do yet.

Someone suggested sending it to a daughter or brother (etc) in England, and doing it on the internet. Bit risky that; I'm thinking. But cold it be done with a VPN?

It's a piece of cake in Bangkok, Owl. A month or two before you want to renew it, contact the Passport Renewal Office online. They're at the ' Trendy ' building, Sukhumvit 12 or so.

They'll give you a date to take your passport in, usually a couple of weeks later.

Take it in, friendly, helpful staff, and ( in my experience last year), 2 weeks later I got  an email telling me to pick it up 

1 hour ago, bannork said:

It's a piece of cake in Bangkok, Owl. A month or two before you want to renew it, contact the Passport Renewal Office online. They're at the ' Trendy ' building, Sukhumvit 12 or so.

They'll give you a date to take your passport in, usually a couple of weeks later.

Take it in, friendly, helpful staff, and ( in my experience last year), 2 weeks later I got  an email telling me to pick it up 

Really encouraging to hear Bannork.

I'll leave it until the end of October, now you have given me the heads up.

23 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Really encouraging to hear Bannork.

I'll leave it until the end of October, now you have given me the heads up.

If you could do it online here it would work out much cheaper.

For my Aussie passport,pay for passport,4 flights(mrs,me)4 taxi's,2 meals,fuel and parking in Khon Kaen = 27,000 baht. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, farmerjo said:

If you could do it online here it would work out much cheaper.

For my Aussie passport,pay for passport,4 flights(mrs,me)4 taxi's,2 meals,fuel and parking in Khon Kaen = 27,000 baht. 

Why didn't you do yours online FJ?

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

Why didn't you do yours online FJ?

Don't have a credit card mate and needed to keep old passport running in case i had to go overseas.

Done now as just back from Bangkok.

I bit my tongue about them forgetting to email me to pick it up but had a laugh with the lady how tight they are to not even supply a cover to keep passport in.

Sorry Owl but goes to show not everybody lives around the corner in Bangkok as governments think we do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Don't have a credit card mate and needed to keep old passport running in case i had to go overseas.

Done now as just back from Bangkok.

I bit my tongue about them forgetting to email me to pick it up but had a laugh with the lady how tight they are to not even supply a cover to keep passport in.

Sorry Owl but goes to show not everybody lives around the corner in Bangkok as governments think we do.

It has been suggested, on another AN thread, that for those of us who do live a long way from BKK - or just want an easy life perhaps - using an agent could be the way to go. My local one in Udon wants 12k; seems a bit pricey that.

51 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It has been suggested, on another AN thread, that for those of us who do live a long way from BKK - or just want an easy life perhaps - using an agent could be the way to go. My local one in Udon wants 12k; seems a bit pricey that.

I live in Buriram and last time I renewed my PP (2017), I used an agent. Around 11K baht (Cost of "Jumbo" UK PP included in that). IMHO, much better/cheaper than 2 x trips to BKK with she-who-must-be-obeyed, plus overnight stay, food, drink etc. Well worth it.

• Like 2